THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What's the most ridiculous thing you have ever shot with a big bore?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the most ridiculous thing you have ever shot with a big bore? Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Kinda surprising, I figured squirrel would be number 1, but it looks like abandoned cars is topping the list. The only things I have ever shot cars with are 870 pump shotgun, Browning M2, and Mk 19 with HHE (this was pretty impressive, almost worth being in the Army for)

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Skypilotbc
posted Hide Post
Prairie dog at 153 yards with the Lott--325gr FTX (V-Max for elephant). Almost a perfect head-shot:

Bob

When everything else has failed, blow a BIG Honkin' Hole in it!!

Posts: 8 | Location: State of Misery | Registered: 09 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+10 pts for pics!!!!

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
rabbit with a factory soft in a Lott

Water Buff with an M 79, 40MM HE Big Grin

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A grasshopper with a .45-70 out of a Sharps with a creedmore sight at about 3 - 4 feet. I just pointed the barrel and shot. The mud coated me and the rifle...really stupid but it I just couldn't stop myself.

Posts: 519 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cottontail in the head with my 450/400 Searcy double.......all that was left of the head was one ear.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
He/she was shot head on-

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Lol that is one way to skin a possum

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I forgot one, a bobcat at about 30 feet with a 405 grain Rem Core Loct factory load out of a 45-70.

Great thing was, the bullet did not hardly expand, slightly less than a 1/2 inch hole going in the left side of its chest, slightly larger than a 3/4 inch hole going out just to the right of its tail.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jackrabbits with a Lott, all with 500gr hornady solids. About half explode and half just died on the spot with 458 cal holes in and out.

I missed a jack at 1200 yards with my McMillin BMG(which I wish I still had). He popped up at the wrong time right next to the target after the 3rd shot out of the gun. Spotter estimated group 2 feet low and 6 inches left. I compensated for him but hit a few inches low plastering him with dirt and rocks.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bull frog 12g at 4 ft. yes i got a cold shower. a mudddy cold shower. but i have good excuse. I was 13 and brain dead donttroll

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
We used to shoot lot's of jackrabbits and armadillo's with .458 WM and .416 RM it's great offhand practice.

Aoudad sheep with .375, .416 RM, and .458 WM. They are tough little boogers.

Head shot on a black buck doe at about 50 yards with a .375 260 accubond. There was no mistaking she was dead.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thinkin' about it some more ... the MOST ridiculous thing I've ever shot with a big bore was the bowling ball I shot with my .470 NE Searcy at Tom Kessel's some time ago. A single shot certainly took it to pieces Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoary marmot with a .458 WinMag,
while alpine hunting with a prototype African Sheep Rifle.

Tyler:
+20 points for two pics, and double that for the graphic drama.
That looks like the place where I hunt possums.
I usually just hit 'em in the head with a stick.
Prevents the possible waste of good meat!
Yum yum.
However, the quick skinning job of your technique will facilitate getting it into the pot before any spoilage occurs.
Particularly good idea for warm weather hunts. thumb

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
He/she was shot head on-

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Skunk with 300lb Crossbow equipped with 4th gen Night vision and NV capable aimpoint at about 25 yrds. Hit skunk in mid section and pinned it to the back fence and tree. Damn thing spun around on the arrow like a pinwheel, spraying all the while. Big Big Mistake as the whole yard stunk like hell for a week! Had to waste a second arrow to finish the job.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
PWS,

A big THANK YOU!

That was hilarious! I laughed until I cried, my wife had to come over and read it over my shoulder, as I was incapable of speaking to read it to her.

You win, hands down, no contest. The rest of us are amateurs. It takes a grand master to kill something with a dead fish.

My paltry contribution would be a hamster with a 30-06 (M1 Garand), and a crow with a 338 win mag. I know, not even worthy of mention now...

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
hamster?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I fed a charging squirrel a 270gn TSX from my .375 H&H RSM last deer season. I should have filmed it and called it "Death by the Ounce". Funny part was I sat all damn day and did't see a thing. 2 Minutes after I killed and buried the Squirrel w/ one shot, 5 does came wandering through like nothing had happened! I I have also seen the inside of a bowling ball thanx to a 500gn Barnes Banded Solid in .458 Win Mag. I also shot a Dodge Omni w/ a 10ga slug. It went through the hood, firewall, front and back seat and lodged in the rear of the trunk.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
hamster?

They can be dangerous when they turn feral...

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bat....with a .458 Win

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Pigeons with a 460 Weatherby.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Slowpoke Slim: They can be dangerous when they turn feral

Yeah, I know. One bit me when I was a kid, never cared for them afterwards. Good for young boas.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Any video? Smiler

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
The closest I can do is a sparrow at 35 yards with a 308, 150 grain, Core-Lokt. I found two tiny red drops, 2 or 3 down feathers and absolutely nothing else! The bird was simply not there anymore!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Please tell me it was on the wing! That would make you the man for sure!

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
A bat....with a .458 Win

Ganyana,
If you got that bat on the wing with a regular .458WinMag hunting load (not shot capsule), then you win!

Bats are much trickier than pigeons on the wing. thumb

Did you throw a rock into the air to get it to dive?
Sundowner involved in that stunt shooting?

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Up until last night the 375 has just been killing a bunch of paper. Killed this crocodile stone dead. Big Grin

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Looks more like it took one look at Medusa.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Looks more like it took one look at Medusa.

You calling my rifle ugly? Wink

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rip - nothing fancy, a rare bat that had never been logged in Zim. The museum folks that I phoned didn't belive me - they said - bring us the specemin. Since I was out on an PAC ele I had a .458. Figured (correctly) that a near miss would stun it (or as it turned out, the plaster chips killed it) and at least get it down from the wall...Pitty it was an old building...pitty about the wall, celing...at least I got my first mention in a scientific publication Big Grin

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Refrigerator once with 50 BMG and about 50 times with 600 OK…

The 50 was for fun the 600 was b/c it made a decent target holder...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work unzipping that possum, Tyler! Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

416 Rigby

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:

416 Rigby

Gruesome for sure, looks like something I would get in a bucket at KFC. At least the leg stayed attached. Had to endure deer camp banter about only being able to get a "3-legged" deer.

John

one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Groundhogs with a .375 Weatherby. Doesn't make near the mess that the .220 Swift does.

Best to date is 286 yards on a small chuck.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The usual small stuff...ground squirrels with 338 Lapua, 375 H&Hs, 416 Rigbys and 458 Lott with bonus rock chucks for the Lott.

One of the more memorable stunt shots was an old moldy 2 lb tube of venison sausage I shot lenghtwise with my Lott w/ a 405 Remmy at 2400 at 15 feet. We had the camcorder going and had lots of laughs viewing it later. The sausage literally exploded with a visible shock wave Big Grin Pretty cool but funny to have two mid 40s guys high fiving over a blown away sausage Eeker

It's all about the fun! dancing

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
He/she was shot head on-

Tyler,

Glad to see that 31 on the ACT is being put to good use Wink

Nice shot.!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cans of starter fluid with 50 cal incendiary are fun. Water filled milk jugs with incendiary are kind of interesting too, but they don't always go off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the absolute best shoot ever is the annual Dan Lilja Dynamite shoot in Montana. Quart paint cans with 8oz of 40%. The scoring is all hit or miss, and it is not hard to tell if you hit it or not. Unmarked yardages out from 300 to 1200yds.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got some old VHS tape of me shooting a fallow doe at 342 yards with a .416 Rigby Ruger No.1.

Scope: 2.75x Burris Scout Scope
Bullet: .416/350-grain Barnes X-Bullet at 2700 fps MV

Shot: Leaned up against a tree, with my hat between my offhand and the side of the tree (rough bark, soft hand), as a standing rest.

I underestimated the elevation required and hit her in the brisket/sternum right below the heart.

Nevertheless, it unzipped her belly and her intestines dropped to the ground before she did.

I will try to digitalized that video sequence and see if I can learn to post such "drama."
Almost as good as Tyler's 'possum.
I made a 31 on my ACT too, and I didn't get nuttin special for that, except training for the NMSQT/PSAT, SAT, and later MCAT,
and a rubber-stamped Presidential Appointment to West Point by Richard M. Nixon during the Viet Nam War. animal