THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Reloading the.500 Jeffery without the right tools

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading the.500 Jeffery without the right tools Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have now put an order on a new Sako 85 Brown Bear in 500 Jeffery and i hope to get it to the next summer (6-8 months or more delivery time)
It seems impossible to get reloading dies for it right now.. I am living in sweden and the rcbs safari set is out of stock for how long? Nobody seems to know.
I was wundering about if it is possible to reload new cases with a seater die from another caliber?
I was thinkig like this.. if i buy a shell holder for the 500 jeffe and buy new cases bullets primer powder everything as normal.. then put a 338wm seater die in the press and try to just seat the bullet with that.. is it going to be any problem you think? I was thinking that it will only be touching the bullet and not the case if I screw it down as low as possible.. do you guys think it will work while I am waiting to get the right tools?
Sorry for my bad english typing.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
While there is the possibility of misalignment that way, it will work. if its not satisfactory then here is what I would do (have done) is take a piece of 7/8 all thread or even a grade 8 bolt, and bore it on a lathe to make a seater that just barely works.

recall that the 338 is .511 or so right after the belt, and tapers in a good deal.. perhaps enough to jam the bullet, and the .532 (which is too small for the case to enter) of the belt only going in a couple thou

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38350 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you jeffe for the info..
while I dont have a lathe or neither know anyone that has one. What would be the best seater die to try with? Will the .460 wby seater die be a better option to try with? I can get one here in sweden.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I have a brand new set of CH 500 Jeffery dies I could loan you until you get your dies in. I bought them as a backup. I'm using my 500 Jeffery RCBS dies. I also use a Lee Factory Crimp die on my 500 Jeffery reloads.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4711 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats very kind of you chuck375.. the problem is that I live in sweden.. I dont think its to easy to ship them overhere.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how that works. If you find out I can DHL them to you Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4711 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much chuck Smiler if things go south next spring I will check out how to ship them.. then I will be contact with you again.. thank you very much once again Smiler

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Although I have not loaded a bunch of ammo for shooting with it I have used my RCBS bullet puller, a die with collets, to seat bullets.
I use a 44cal collet to pull .404 (.423") bullets when I need or want to and have reseated the bullets with this set up. The nose of the bullet bottoms out in the collet which clamps it tight and and leaves enough length to seat in the case to the cannelure.

As an expedient measure this works for seating bullets however I do not think RCBS make a 50cal collet for their puller die.

Posts: 3822 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Have you checked with ch4d?

They had .450/.400 3 1/4" N.E. .408" dies in stock and i got delivery after some 4 weeks.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This shop in Italy have them in stock.
https://www.cacciashop.it/gb/d...00-jeffery-rcbs.html

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys very much.. the AR is and has always been the best place for info and help.. especially for us big bore addicts Smiler

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Further to my post above, I see that RCBS do supply a 50cal collet for their bullet puller. Seating bullets using the puller die and collet works as good as the bullet seater as the bullet is held perfectly centred in the die and seats straight-line into the case mouth.
The bullet puller and collets should be readily available and do come in handy when wanting to pull bullets without damage or mess.

Posts: 3822 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eagle27
I will do the order today as soon as my shop open dancing
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just want to say big thank to eagle27 Smiler
My sako brown bear has arrived and I have done some loading for it with the rcbs bullet puller with great sucess dancing
The recoil from a 600 grain woodleigh at 2200fps from the light weight sako brown bear is in a class for it self Big Grin I am still working on the loads and when I get to 2300fps with the 600grainer I Will stop there then.. it should get the work done on the swedish moose Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir and it will work great on T-REx, but my friends and I have killed the T-Rex out!! doubt that? well have you seen any lately, I think not!! jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41733 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote