Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 upgrades are back Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm pleased to announce that upgrades for the CZ 550's are available again through Matrix Gunsmithing in Colorado. They will be using the same AHR parts and I will be giving them guidance as they take over the work. They are a professional shop and crew, and I have full confidence in them. Contact Jerry at bearcad66@gmail.com

Posts: 1212 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome news!

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do they do the warranty work now when I shoot so much the pieces fall off?Big Grin Asking for a friend. Great to hear about the upgrades!

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The question I have is will CZ be offering big bores to be upgraded anymore?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question. My understanding is CZ has quit making the 550 action.

Can anyone either confirm or deny this?

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same here, thought there were gone.

I wish I would have bought one in a 404 years back.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
CZ has stopped making the 550 and the 550 Magnum.

Not sure why, as they are excellent rifles. Maybe not selling; maybe worn out machinery with no capital replacement budget?

But there are still lots of them out there, and as good as they are, they benefit greatly from the AHR upgrades.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the machinery is worn out and they have no plans on getting new machinery.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear about no more 550s!

I have a pair (my 450 Dakota is AHR, 458 Lott is standard with a few CZ upgrades) but I, too, really wish I would have picked up a .404 when they were cheap and easy to get.

Posts: 429 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Even worse as a lefty...CZ was one of the only cost effective routes to a magnum action. Only got my hands on one and Wayne turned it into a 500 A2.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Nice caliber!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi all, I am the manager at Matrix Gunsmithing,
if there are any questions I can answer, let me know, either here, or via my email that is given in the first post here. Glad to be among you, I have the alias, rldingfool here, cause I am! Been reloading since 1975,and love every minute of it!
Looking forward to talking to you.

Posts: 4 | Location: Lake George, Co. | Registered: 26 April 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good Deal. Are you only doing CZs or Winchester’s as well?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi gunslinger55, so far we have been doing CZ's, but I can talk to the owner and see. I would well
imagine he would like to. What specifically are you
wanting?

Posts: 4 | Location: Lake George, Co. | Registered: 26 April 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am wrong but I don't think money is the problem.
https://www.czg.cz/czg-to-acquire-colt/

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capital Investment to replace the machines that make the CZ-550 actions are likely so expensive relative to sales volume it isn't a good business proposition.

We may like those CZ actions a lot but, our sales volume is basically one more raindrop in the ocean! Too bad CZ doesn't have the next Nosler (or insert any boutique here) caliber in its rifle lineup.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Specifically, what kind of machine tools are used to make these actions? I've been able to hold 0.0001" tolerances on fixed wing & rotary wing aircraft parts with some really worn out WWII era equipment. Sometimes its the operator not the equipment. I am interested to learn if there are machines unique to producing these actions.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I stand to be corrected, but I am under the impression that many, if not most, or all, commercial gun-making machining operations these days are done using CNC machines.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Specifically, what kind of machine tools are used to make these actions? I've been able to hold 0.0001" tolerances on fixed wing & rotary wing aircraft parts with some really worn out WWII era equipment. Sometimes its the operator not the equipment. I am interested to learn if there are machines unique to producing these actions.

Yes but can you do it consistently at a modern production rate day after day? CNC machines are about a lot more than just accuracy.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote