THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Looking for a flat nose solid to match up with TSXs in my 375 H&H.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a flat nose solid to match up with TSXs in my 375 H&H. Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

I had forgotten that. Bureaucracy gone nuts.

2020 election: “Hold my beer.”

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the GS Customs flat nose solid almost exclusively at one time, then the NF cup point got my attention..

but I found the Woodleigh 350 gr. soft point 375 bullet was the best and quickest killing bullet I ever used, and it penetrated lengthwise of buff and Hippo, and heart shots on elephant Im told.

Todays bullets are so good you don't really need a solid on Buffalo IMO..but it won't hurt a thing if you just have to have one or two in your bag, they still work!

At one time 375 bullets used on facing shots tended to slip in between the shoulder and the rib cage and did little damage, and Ive seen that happen to others and to myself on a single ocassion...With todays new bullets I have not seen or heard of that..but that why the old timers went to solids in the .375 H&H for the most part..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41795 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 270gr TSX loaded at 2750fps sighted in at 150 yards which is about 1” high at 100 yards. A 300 gr CEB Flatnose solid at 2550fps is dead on at 100 yards.

Posts: 48 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect!

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind useing any monolithic HP over a solid today, other than on elephant, but lots of good solids out there today..You don't have to have a flat point although I prefer them is available..RN solids been killing elephant for decades..longer than any of us have lived.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41795 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Why doesn't Barnes make a banded 300g solid for the 375 H&H?

Because the ATF shut them down from making their Banded Solid in that caliber. The claim was it can fit in a pistol aka the 375 JDJ.

I heard that ATF claimed that they would pierce body armor.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Why doesn't Barnes make a banded 300g solid for the 375 H&H?

Because the ATF shut them down from making their Banded Solid in that caliber. The claim was it can fit in a pistol aka the 375 JDJ.

I heard that ATF claimed that they would pierce body armor.

So will any centerfire rifle cartridge.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
A few years ago someone brought bullet proof jackets here to test.

They had specific calibers and bullet weights that they are supposed to stop.

All pistol bullets.

We thought of trying them with a rifle.

At that time all I had at that place was a 270 Winchester, with 130 grain SP.

We put up the jackets on a frame.

Bullet went straight through.

We wrapped the jacket into several layers and tried again.

Went through 9 layers!!

The police had a pistol range with slanting steel bullet stops.

Supposed to stop up to 7.62 Nato FMJ.

They did.

I tried the 220 Swift with 50 gr softs.

Went right through.

Had a clip board which was supposed to be bullet proof.

It was made of some sort of metal, with a metal clip, and a wooden handle on the back.

It worked very well against the 9mm Ball ammo.

In fact, they would not even scratch it.

I said to the man who brought it that I would try another hand gun.

He agreed.

I got a T/C Contender with a 45-70 barrel, loaded with 550 grain cast bullets.

He could not believe the results.

It tore a ragged whole about an inch and half long, and about an inch wide.

The rivets holding the clip fell apart.

The screws holding the wooden handle came off, and the handle broke! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66877 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Saeed. A 416 Rigby Improved? Sounds very interesting. Do you have any pictures of the round?

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.

Posts: 85 | Location: RSA | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a point of interest on softs on buffalo with .375.
Last year in Zimbabwe we shot a buff bull at about 70 yards broad side, Swift A Frames 300gr at 2410fps. As it turned out the bullet impacted the humerous bone and didn't penetrate the chest cavity. After a long tracking session we were very very lucky to finally get the bull. It would've been a perfect low heart shot.
If I go again I'm certainly not taking any softs with. But that's just one story among hundreds of succesful hunts.

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.

Posts: 85 | Location: RSA | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's an interesting story about the SAF. There are a number of PH's these days that do not recommend solids for anything but elephant and the very small antelope.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12852 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps off the subject a little...But I've built many DGR's from 375 to 500 Jeff. I take feeding./ function VERY seriously.

Some of these flat nose bullets can be a real challenge to make them feed flawlessly. The ones with a sharp corner are the worst. The attitude of the round changes pretty dramatically since that "corner" wants the make the round feed at a steeper angle than a RN.

My thought is that is maybe more important to get the round in the chamber than concern if the flat nose will kill "better"

This feeding issue has not passed unnoticed by PH's and hunters alike.

I'd advise to choose your flat nose with at least a little radius..or..use them in doubles

Posts: 3440 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If DLJ is still looking for 375 flat nosed solids, Powder Valley has both Nosler and Hornady, in stock. Their prices are always very fair.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 618 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLJ
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input from everyone. I had some CEBs ordered that were shown as in stock, but never shipped and are now listed on their sight as a back order item. Got some Barnes lined up now.

Duane, thanks for the heads up. I shoot a custom M70 that feeds clean from both sides, but always double check any new load.

Posts: 36 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 01 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snav:
As a point of interest on softs on buffalo with .375.
Last year in Zimbabwe we shot a buff bull at about 70 yards broad side, Swift A Frames 300gr at 2410fps. As it turned out the bullet impacted the humerous bone and didn't penetrate the chest cavity. After a long tracking session we were very very lucky to finally get the bull. It would've been a perfect low heart shot.
If I go again I'm certainly not taking any softs with. But that's just one story among hundreds of succesful hunts.

I had the same thing happen with a SAF broke a buffalo’s shoulder but did not penetrate into the chest. It flattened out and stopped on the bone. Had to follow up the next day. I am loading some 350 gr Woodlieghs for this summer’s hunt. I am interested in seeing the difference in performance.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SOMEBODY ON THE CLASSIFIEDS IS SELLING BOTH FLAT NOSE SOLIDS AND CUP POINTS..

I agee for sure that cup points and flat nose solids are hard to make feed..If you have a gun that feeds them 110% then they are the best of the best, and you had better do extensive testing, my gun fed 200 without a flaw, I had half a dozen that failed a lot or from time to time, dumped them...If they do feed flat nose and cup points, they your not through testing, check the good one as to feeding sptizers, round nose adn other bullets you intend to use, sometimes thats a catch in the ones that feed flat noses..Frankly if I have a magazine full of those Woodley 350 gr. PPs and/or RNs Im good for all but elephant brain shots, and that bullets in PP is fine for a elephant heart shot..The RN is a killer but has less penetration than the PP, and more suitable for hunting the thick stuff and for use in herd hunting..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120