THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Looking for a flat nose solid to match up with TSXs in my 375 H&H.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a flat nose solid to match up with TSXs in my 375 H&H. Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DLJ
posted
Looking for a flat or cupped nose solid to match the point of impact of my 375 load. The load is 68 gr of R15 with a 300 gr TSX at 2,479 fps. Would like to find a good performing solid I could get close to center at 100-150 yards. Not worried about shooting smaller game with them. Will use in the mag as back up shots after a TSX first round. Has anyone worked up a load like this?

Posts: 36 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 01 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Woodleigh Hydros. Very accurate. Start with the same load for your TSX and adjust from there.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
CEB. Cutting Edge Bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad NF shut down. Good flat nose solids.

Maybe Trophy Bonded Sledgehammers?

Posts: 2582 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My CEBs were easy to get shooting with my TSXs

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who has some NF's, they are kinda expensive though!! Has anyone tried GS custom's, how do they perform?

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a good supply of .416 370 grain solids Mike made me just before he sold NF. I understand you can still get them out of Sweden but not needing them I have not tried. They were the only solids that shot within half inch of the softs of the same weight when I was tuning up for a Buffalo hunt in the Selous. They performed perfectly for me. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2347 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 grain Partitions leave at 2680 fps from my pre-64 375 H&H's 25 inch barrel over RL-17, the same powder pushes the 300gr BBW #13 solids out at 2700 fps, they land within and inch and a half of the Partitions through the scope at 100 yards, the 'rollover?' factory Winchester barrel sight is dead on at 50 yards with the solid load.

I left some of these solid loads with a PH Buddy a few years ago, recently asked my booking agent who set that hunt up how they did, he replied the PH simply said...THEY KNOCK THE F-CK OUT OF STUFF!!!.....I'm plenty good with that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 gr CEB solid or North Fork 300 Cup Point Solid. from Sweden. They both really kill cape buffalo.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen any North Forks coming out of Sweden ?
The pre-order I put in for .458/ 400-gr SSP from them has produced no activity.
One supposed USA "stockist" took the Swedish North Fork link off their site.
Will see ...

So many good .375/ 300-gr solids, if you can find them.

IIRC, I used the old .375/ 300-gr X-bullet with 72 grains of RL-15 in my .375 H&H that went to Botswana.
Perfect 2528 fps 5-yard-chrono and sub-0.75 MOA for 3 shots at 100 yards.
I later worked out a GSC FN .375/ 300-gr load for it with 70.5 grains RL-15 that was very accurate and worked well trajectory-wise,
like dead-on at 50 yards, when the X-Bullet had a slightly higher trajectory, better for long range hits with same scope, same windage.
Your mileage may vary,
as in charge of RL-15 and MV in your rifle.

Here is another great solid:

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DLJ.
I have 4 boxes of Browning flat nosed solids in 375 H&H that are about 40 years old. They are considered collectors cartridges. If you don't find other compatible bullets, you could pull the bullets and reload with your powder recipe. If they shoot as is close to center, then you are set to go. Will sell for $40 per box plus freight.

Not sure about shipping and hazmat requirements but will check if you're interested.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 618 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with them, but Swift makes the break away solid in a 300gr .375

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
RIP,
SINCE I DO NOT PLINK OR PLAY WITH LEFT OVER DG HUNTING AMMO, I HAVE PLENTY OF NF AND PUNCH AMMO LEFT OVER FOR MY .405 WCF AND .458 RIFLES.

IT HAS BEEN AWFULLY QUIET ON THE SWEDISH NF FRONT.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
IT HAS BEEN AWFULLY QUIET ON THE SWEDISH NF FRONT.

Yep,
https://www.northforkbullets.com/Contact/Usa/Canada/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swift's knockoff of the Woodleigh HYDRO is indeed another great idea for a .375 solid.
Swift might even still be making .458 A-Frames. tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
May I ask why you want a solid?

I have stopped using solids on anything but elephant for many years now.

As to getting them to shoot close together, only way is to try them in your rifle.

There is no way around it.

I built a 416 Rigby Improved.

Loaded 3 rounds with Trophy Bonded Bear Claws 400 grains and fired them.

Shot into a ragged one hole.

Took the same cases, resized them and loaded them with Barnes Brass Super Solids 400.

Fired them at the same group as before.

All 6 shots went into a group of about 0.7 of an inch.

Took it on safari, shot many animals, including elephants, buffalo and two lions.

Shortest load development I have ever had.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66821 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Nosler makes a flat nosed solid. Pretty pricey though.
As other have stated the cutting edge offering I loaded in a 470 NE and 458 Lott.
Great bullets.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLJ
posted Hide Post
Saeed, my reason for wanting a solid load is for a maximum penetration round on a moving or poorly angled target as a second shot after a first TSX round. May never use or ever load this round in my rifle, but with only one "large" caliber, I would like to be able to reach all of it's performance limits. I've used TSXs on smaller game and hope that maybe a solid would do less damage. I guess I also just enjoy the reloading, shooting, and load development part. Makes me feel like I'm already on the hunt months earlier and thousands of miles away.

Thanks everyone for the info. Think I'm going to try CEB or Nossler flat nose or try to get my hands on some NF cupped nose. My brother has used the NF cupped nose and they are impressive.

Posts: 36 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 01 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
My CEBs were easy to get shooting with my TSXs

Exactly. Really can’t beat CEB solids and readily available. Great company.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36424 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing to do would be to search for the older more flat nosed Barnes solids before they fucked them up with the more rounded profile.

Other than that look at the Northforks.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1019 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for CEB's!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1095 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLJ:
Saeed, my reason for wanting a solid load is for a maximum penetration round on a moving or poorly angled target as a second shot after a first TSX round. May never use or ever load this round in my rifle, but with only one "large" caliber, I would like to be able to reach all of it's performance limits. I've used TSXs on smaller game and hope that maybe a solid would do less damage. I guess I also just enjoy the reloading, shooting, and load development part. Makes me feel like I'm already on the hunt months earlier and thousands of miles away.

Thanks everyone for the info. Think I'm going to try CEB or Nossler flat nose or try to get my hands on some NF cupped nose. My brother has used the NF cupped nose and they are impressive.

Our Walterhog HP bullets penetrate a cape buffalo from rear end to the neck.

The position of the animal has become irrelevant, as I shoot them from any angle.

I have shot many buffalo and eland this way, never had any problems with penetration.

Posts: 66821 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I forget what your Walterhog HP bullet looks like. I am very interested as I am a bullet nut. Does your HP bullet expand much going from end to end in a buffalo?

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLJ, I should add that I killed one cape buffalo bull with a NF Cup Point Solid. He was facing me at 22 yds. The 300 gr. 375 cal bullet went through the top of his heart and came to rest in the gut. perfectly straight line penetration. The Cup Point bullet expanded a little to about .380. MV was 2,500 fps. The buffalo ran 30 yds and fell over.

With the 300 gr. 375 cal CEB Solid it was the same shot at 40 yds. and the same performance/result but no expansion.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
From what I’ve seen of the Walterhogs, they usually end up as flat noses solids anyway. Maybe that’s why they work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do parts break off the Walterhogs like with the CEB Raptors?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Barnes still make their Banded Solids with a large, flat meplat? Those have always worked well for me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13351 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Do parts break off the Walterhogs like with the CEB Raptors?

Over the years I’ve seen a hell of a lot of them look like this:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BaxterB, Thanks for the photo. They look pretty good! Similar to the NF Cup Point.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Just for clarity, this is Saeeds pic from his report. But I can’t help thinking why they work so well is all the trauma caused by the petals shearing off then the penetration afterwards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. That makes sense.

Administrator
posted Hide Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Unfired bullet on the left.

The rest were recovered from various animals, at various distances.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed lets the Walterhog bullet decide how the animal is to die, and it ain't by old age.
None of that BS about letting the animal decide how it wants to die.
Nosirree !
Saeed places the bullet.
At sufficient MV and suitable range, the bullet is very smart about how it goes about business.
If there is a lot of animal resistance encountered by the bullet, the bullet converts itself into an FN solid.
The Walterhog bullet of Saeed becomes a very stable genius that adapts to the target and stays on course.
The Walterhog is smart indeed, unlike its namesake.
More like Donald Trump.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Saeed lets the Walterhog bullet decide how the animal is to die, and it ain't by old age.
None of that BS about letting the animal decide how it wants to die.
Nosirree !
Saeed places the bullet.
At sufficient MV and suitable range, the bullet is very smart about how it goes about business.
If there is a lot of animal resistance encountered by the bullet, the bullet converts itself into an FN solid.
The Walterhog bullet of Saeed becomes a very stable genius that adapts to the target and stays on course.
The Walterhog is smart indeed, unlike its namesake.
More like Donald Trump.

According to our trackers, it is the black stuff painted on them that kills.

Saw an old bull that had been evading us for a while while driving.

Jumped off the truck and all I could see was part of him - the middle part.

I asked Alan which way he was facing, and he said to the lefty.

I fired a shot at him just as he was taking off.

Walking there to see what had happened, I said I hope it was a miss, as the angle did not look right, and we really have no wish to spend all day chasing a wounded buffalo.

We found very little blood as we tracked him for a few yards.

I said "Oh well, another day wasted tracking a badly shot buffalo then!"

Our head tracker, Robert, looked at me smiling and said "He is DEAD!"

I said "Buffalo don't die with so little blood out!"

"He is DEAD! Blood come out, buffalo dead!"

A few steps further, Robert looks back at us, with an even bigger smile on his face, "DOWN! DOWN DEAD!"

Sure enough, there was our bull, stone dead.

Robert is a very close friend of mine.

One morning I shot a klipspringer.

After taking photos, I was about to carry it back to the truck, Robert insisted that he carried it.

I refused his offer, and carried it back to the truck.

We kept arguing as we walked.

Then I said "You can carry the next one I shoot"

He agreed.

A couple of hours later, I shot an eland.

Boy, you should have seen the arguing going on between all of them.

They insisted Robert carries it back!

He said he will put in in the truck all by himself, after chopping it to pieces!

We did not want to waste to much time, so we all helped him!

one of us
posted Hide Post
yuck
Robert is a smart guy too. animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, That is an awesome bullet. Thanks for the photos. Also, good story about you and Robert.

RIP, Also good explanation! Thanks for posting.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Why doesn't Barnes make a banded 300g solid for the 375 H&H?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4714 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:

Because the ATF shut them down from making their Banded Solid in that caliber. The claim was it can fit in a pistol aka the 375 JDJ.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:

Because the ATF shut them down from making their Banded Solid in that caliber. The claim was it can fit in a pistol aka the 375 JDJ.

I had forgotten that. Bureaucracy gone nuts.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13351 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote