Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keyhole .458 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I very recently bought a used .458 Win Mag Model 70 Super Grade at a very reasonable price. I received it a couple of days ago and ran a bore snake thru it, threw together a few rounds of ammo with 500 gr Hornady and a minimum starting load.
Drove to the range I have on my place and proceeded to shoot a group at 50 yards, iron sights. Lo and behold the first shot hit the target sideways! Never seen this before, I shot 6 times and onle one shot hit point-first! I was a bit disappointed. So, I proceeded to give the rifle a good cleaning and loaded up a few more rounds, these with almost to maximum and shot another 3 shot group, same as before. This was much more lie what I expected. Anyone else ever had such an occurance?

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am guessing that the velocity was just below stabilization, might be caused by a very dirty barrel.

I have had rifles that had so much dirt in the barrel, but never shot bullets side ways.

May be those had enough velocity to shoot straight.

I have had rifles key home with reduced velocities, others did not??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .458Wm keyhole with reduced loads. Very accurate with full power though.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 600 Overkill that keyholes 900gr woodleighs at 1100fps. I was trying to get subsonic and then suppress it but will need a faster twist to get there.

I also had a bunch of 458 win mag 500gr cast bullets loaded to about 1400 that shot well except one day at a shoot while waiting for my turn the ammo sat in the sun and the lube got melty. I didn't think much of it until I saw the target and they all keyholed. I stopped shooting them and later pulled them apart and found the lube melted and caked up a bunch of powder near the bullet base. I am guessing they were too slow too.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
K Evans,

Excellent choice of firearm. Looks like you are getting it sorted out.

It is plausible that a very dirty bore and a light load might be slow enough to not stabilize.

Too slow or too fast, cast bullets of .459" diameter may keyhole from a .459"-grooved barrel.
The .458"-diameter/ 500-grain Hornady jacketed bullets that keyholed must have been mighty slow to keyhole in either a .458" or .459" groove diameter.
Or could you have gotten a lemon with over-sized groove diameter ?
.458 WinMag barrels are rarely as tight as the SAAMI minimum of 0.458" groove diameter. Most are 0.459".
SAAMI maximum jacketed bullet diameter is 0.459", minimum is 0.456".

You need to clean the barrel again, lightly lubricate the bore, and slug the barrel with a .50-cal swaged lead roundball from Hornady.
Tap it into the muzzle end with a little brass hammer, and hammer it along to breech end with a wooden dowel.
Measure the groove diameter.
Measure the bullet diameter to eliminate possibility of bullet diameter that is not in .456" to .459" SAAMI range for jacketed bullets:
.4590" - .0030".

If you do your Super Grade, I'll do my Super Grade.

Circa Y2K the Winchester Custom shop Big Five limited edition rifles had some bad barrels in .470 Capstick: Oversized.
A buddy had one that would keyhole with .474"-diameter/ 500-grain North Fork monometal copper solids at near max load.
Same load worked fine in my tighter McGowen-barreled M70 .470 Capstick, as well as a Merkel .470 NE DR.
Mike Brady made us some .475"-diameter bullets,
and that extra .001" stopped my buddy's rifle from keyholing.
.458 WINCHESTER MAGNUM PERFECTION
tu2
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of above of RIPs post.

If your M70 barrel is a bit overize it is not the first, I can assure you.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad I wasn't the only one to experience this, I've got a bunch of 405 gr bullets that I load in my .45-70. I'm going to load some of them to a low velocity just to see what happens. They shoot fine out of my .45-70.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I’m betting on a too large dimension barrel.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I slugged my M70 .458 Winchester Magnum Super Grade made circa 2011:

Groove diameter = 0.459"
6 grooves, 1:14" twist

.458 WINCHESTER MAGNUM PERFECTION
tu2
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am guessing that the velocity was just below stabilization,
Per Saeed and I agree.

My .357 mag rifle has a 20 inch custom made Douglas barrel that was made for high velocity .357 mag loads for which it is quite accurate.
Generally, the lighter (110 and 125 grain ) and faster, the smaller the groups. The Super VEL factory 125 grain JSP (or my equivalent hand loads) are my favorites for small game and varmints, but for hogs and deer, the 158 and 180 grain Buffalo Bore work well, shooting through most game.

Standard velocity .38 special ammo always keyholes.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded a few 405 grain gas checked cast bullets, Lyman manual said around 1200 fps, I didn't chrono them since I was checking to see if they keyholed...they did. Every one of them. The same bullets shoot pretty good from my .45-70, maybe twist is a bit different? Ran a lead ball down the bore and the grooves mic'ed .459. I'm thinking long bullet and low velocity doesn't work in that particular rifle.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
K Evans,
Your 45-70 likely has a slower twist than your .458 WM. It also likely has a .457 bore.
That 405 grain cast bullet is short not long and from all that, I would still vote that your stabilization problem is a combo of Bore size vs. bullet size and velocity. Put a .460 or .461 cast bullet in there, run it at 1400-1800 and I would bet it won't keyhole. Might not shoot cloverleafs as that part of cast always remains to be seen, but I'll bet it hits end on. With Jacketed bullets, your options a limited. A Remington 405 or Speer 400 smacked in the, rear let us say, by a full charge will likely bump up and work great. Let us know what you find!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have a .458 that keyholed only with certain bullets. It wears a new barrel now.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ready Aim Shoot
posted Hide Post
If jacketed bullets using starting loads are key holing,that is probably because the barrel is shot out.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Curiouser and curiouser. I went to the range with another AR big-bore fan, who brought his newly rebarrelled CZ 458WM and had it keyhole at least one bullet at only 25 or 50 yards.

I don't recall the exact bullet weight but believe it was at least 450 grains and possibly 500 or more. Nor do I recall if it was a full-house load but did fire one that made me wonder if I'd detached a retina Wink

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I would try some factory ammo. If it does it with that I would call Winchester to discuss a new barrel.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
that is probably because the barrel is shot out.

That would be the first 458 I've ever heard of being shot out.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ready Aim Shoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

And I won't be the one to shoot this one out.

Karl Evans