THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Brevex #12 joins the family - a Fred Wells Custom - "one-of-a-kind" - unknown caliber

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brevex #12 joins the family - a Fred Wells Custom - "one-of-a-kind" - unknown caliber Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Brevex #12 joins the family - a Fred Wells Custom - "one-of-a-kind" - unknown caliber

Hello All,

Well, I finally found another Brevex Mauser. This makes an even dozen in my Brevex Collection.

I listed it as an "unknown" caliber .. I should have said "un-heard-of" caliber. Its a Fred Wells Custom Brevex Mauser in a caliber I never heard of, nor can I find any info about it. .. anywhere!

Here are the specs:

Make = Fred Wells Custom
Action = Brevex Magnum Mauser
Caliber = 411 Wells Exp
Weight = 12-1/4 lbs (loaded)
Barrel = 25-1/8" A&M Barrel w/ barrel mounted Sling swivel (no sights)
LOP = 15"
Stock = Custom "uncheckered" w/ forward recoil lug (unknown wood) w/ checkered metal grip cap
Scope = 6x42 KAHLES Helia Super 6S2 in Wells Custom Mounts w/ Low Profile Safety
Trigger = Mauser 2-Stage Trigger
Recoil Pad = Pachmayr Solid w/ Black and White Line spacer

Fortunately the rifle came with dies, and brass, and bullets. Bullets are Woodleigh .411 dia 400g Soft Points and Barnes .411 dia 300g Soft Points. Brass is 378 Weatherby Mag resized. Dies are RCBS labeled 405-378.

I've seen rifles chambered in 350 Wells Exp which is basically a 378 Weatherby Mag necked down to .350 caliber. This one is 378 Weatherby Mag necked "up" to .411 caliber.

Searching high and low in all my wildcat books (I have many) I cannot find any such caliber. Its basically a forerunner of the 416 Weatherby Mag, albeit .005" smaller diameter with standard neck and shoulder profile.

I know nothing about wood, so the stock is also a mystery. Its a very dense "reddish" color with distinctive stripes of grain. (pictures don't show the reddish color very well because the camera flash washes out the true color) The wood color appears to be almost a rose wood, but its much denser and harder. This density likely accounts for the overall heavy weight of the rifle. (much appreciated when shooting) The stock has been left "uncheckered", perhaps to show-off the striped grain.

Overall craftsmanship is what you would expect from an early Fred Wells rifle. Wood to metal fit is absolutely amazing. Not a sliver of space between them. All the screws are indexed in-line. Even the screw in the checkered metal grip cap is indexed in-line and also tastefully engraved.

(a range report will follow)

Any insight on this rare bird would be appreciated. Here are the pictures: As always all your comments are most welcome.

Here are the family dozen ....

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2110 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Another nice purchase Buckstix.

The 400 H&H cartridge uses .411" 400gr and 300gr bullets and the 405 Winchester .412" 300gr bullets, this latter cartridge maybe where your dies got their nomenclature of 405-378 from.

Posts: 3842 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing!

You have a fabulous collection Cool

DRSS

Posts: 1901 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckstix

What can you tell me about the Labuschagne 505, where did you buy that gun?

Carl Labuschagne was my parent's neighbour near Hoedspruit and we were good friends.
We visited often and I spent a lot of time in his man cave below his house on the banks of the Olifants River.
Unfortunately he died at a fairly young age somewhere in his sixties, before my own dangerous game hunting opportunities surfaced. He must have been 30 years older than I am.
His family was some of the first trophy hunters in Afrikaans society and I remember him showing me pictures of his grandfather and father hunting Mozambique or rather Portuguese East Africa in the 1920's and 30's

He had a 577H&H double, this 505 and a 460 A-Square Short. The last year I handled that 505 was in 2000 but never shot it. If I had the opportunity I would have bought that gun, but obviously that rifle is now in a loving home!

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Balule,
Thanks for the reply.

Here is the post from 2019 that tells all about the rifle. I bought it in 2013. It was my very first Brevex Mauser.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...211044452#4211044452

Here is a youtube video of Carl's Zambezi Valley Safari in 1989 - It shows Carl shooting a Hippo with the 505 Gibbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...azs&feature=youtu.be

Carl's son had this web page about his dad's history... but I don't think the pictures are working any longer.

https://www.labuschagne.info/c...gne.htm#.Yv1X3rjW0ht

Posts: 2110 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckstix

Thank you very much.
The links bring back some nostalgic memories.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I know where a CZ marked 350 Wells is. Sounds like a very interesting caliber with very little information on the web.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Buglemintoday,
Thanks for the reply.

I have seen several in 350 Wells exp caliber, but never even heard of a 411 Wells Exp until this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually there are two versions as well. We made one with an extra piece of octagon barrel left over after a lever gun project. The second was based on a 300 ultra case. Here's a picture of it: http://www.makenaridge.com/411.2.jpeg and the .411: http://www.makenaridge.com/411.3.jpeg

Posts: 117 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckstix, have you picked a favorite yet?

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Buckstix, have you picked a favorite yet?

Hello theback40,
Thanks for the reply.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...211044452#4211044452

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with that pick!

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies,

I have been able to contact the original owner of the rifle. He said he intended to go to Africa to hunt with the rifle, but political conflicts in Rhodesia at the time prevented his going. He told me the rifle was custom built for him / by him. He said he was actually an employee of Fred Wells at the time and did the stock work himself while so employed. The stock wood was special ordered "Red Cocobolo". He also said there was a 400 Wells Express caliber at the time and that it used .411 bullets. He liked the caliber but said he used "411" in the caliber name on his rifle so as to be sure it was identified as a 411 caliber, and not confused as .400 caliber. He also said he sent a fire-formed case to RCBS to have dies custom made, and that RCBS marked the dies 405-378 ... because the 405 Winchester cartridge used a .411 dia bullet. So I guess, this is in fact a "one of a kind cartridge". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.405_Winchester