THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What bullet for the big antelopes like oryx, kudu and eland in the .375 H&H?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bullet for the big antelopes like oryx, kudu and eland in the .375 H&H? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For my trip to Namibia for the big antelopes I`ll take my .375H&H. But what bullet? I think for the two Nosler Partitions, the Swift A-Frame, the Woodleigh PP and the Norma Oryx ann ....

What would you use?

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Any of the bullets you mentioned will work fine. Take whichever one shoots the best. The Barnes 270 Gr. TSX would also be a good choice. I've shot several of the three animals you mentioned with my .338 Win mag and 225 Gr. Nosler Partitions. They worked great.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2282 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two years ago i used a 8,5x63 with ultra light and ultra fast leed-free bullet called SAX-KJG for Kudu, Oryx and springbuck with great success. All one-shot-kills!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Barnes 270 on big antelope with tremendous results. Funny I shoulder shot a blue wildebeest and one of the local hunters said those are horrible bullets to much meat damage

Posts: 170 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as bullet failure on any antelope in Africa with a .375, I killed a number of Eland with it..I always used the 300 gr. Woodleighs but had great luck with the 250 and 270 gr. soft points, mostle Nosler (260 gr.) and any 270 gr. Don't have a particular pick as they all work..In fact the Horndays work just fine.

That said I settled on the 300 gr. bullets for all my .375 Hunting, they shoot as flat as a 180 gr. in a 30-06 and kill on anything, it works so why go back to other weights is my take on the .375 these days.

Thinking back I always liked the 285 gr. Speer grand slam. It is perfect for large animals and buffalo, works everytime..I just got a new .375 H&H off the AR classified and its shoots great, and I bought 12 boxes of the Speer 285 gr. bullet from Graffs on sale foro $17.99 a box of 50, that's cheap for 375 bullets, and Speer told me it was discontinued as of recently..

I quit my old 375 for a .338 10 years ago, now Im going back to the .375? why, no particular reason, just need a change, I love both calibers, but I found the 300 gr. Sierra BTSP shoots flatter n fliter, goes unmoved by wind, and its a killer on big stuff..and Im not a Sierra fan, but they seem to be better than they have been in the past..A good bullet in the 338 as well for long range shooting.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
TSX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 300 grain Winchester Silvertips in my .375 H&H for lion, leopard, eland, greater and lesser kudu. inevitably one shot kills.

I used 180 grain Silvertips in my .300 H&H on sable, oryx, waterbuck hartebeest, wildebeest and smaller antelope, and all but one were one shot kills. The exception was the result of an oryx taking a step just as I let the shot off at 300 yards, but I don't think a .375 H&H would have done any differently, considering the shot placement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 300 A Frame last time pretty perfect performance

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2808 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve always loaded the .375 as if I was hunting buffalo (mainly because they always were on the list) 300 grain TSX, TBBC, or A frame. Never had a problem with any of the antelope.

With the animals you are describing, only the Eland could put penetration to the test, and they are a relatively soft animal.

Posts: 10465 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use two bullets in my 375 H&Hs. 300 grain Barnes X and 300 grain Barnes Solids. I have shot everything from bushbuck and impala to Hippo and Cape and Water Buffalo with the Barnes X Bullets with perfect results. It makes things very easy, one bullet for everything and no changing of sighting. From my own personal experience I do not think that the Barnes X bullet can be beat. For elephant or Hippo I think that the Solid should be used Hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the bullets you mentioned are excellent for that purpose. Me being a nos. partition fan I used the 300 grain partition for everything including cape buff, aussie water buff and banteng with excellent results.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think a 270gr Hornady SP-RP would work perfectly for the large antelope.

Except for the eland you are looking at creatures 400-600 lbs.

If I were to use a lesser caliber (say 300 Mag with 180gr bullets, I might tend to go with a tougher bullet like the SAF.

Have fun!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:

Same here. I got perfect results on kudu and eland with 300 gn A-frames.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
270gn Wooodleigh PP for me. It opens up well enough to provide quick kills but has all the penetration you need on thin skinned antelope.
2750 FPS is easily achievable and shoots reasonably flat. Some long shots do present themselves in Namibia.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorites are the 260grs MP and the 270grs Woodleigh PP.
What do you think about the penetration of the light NP?

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:

One expanding bullet for everything, nice.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4711 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The A frames are pretty amazing. Used on plains game buffalo and Grizzly. Recovered bullets picture perfect.And accurate

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2808 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Any bullet will do.

I shot a lot of lend with several 270 caliber rifles.

Never had a problem.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Our PH in Namibia, Johann Veldsmann, was thrilled when I brought him a couple of boxes of Barnes 250-grain TripleShocks for handloads for his 9,3X62.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16279 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a .300WM or a .280 Rem with Barnes TSX bullets on all of my hunts in Namibia. A .375 is fine, but is not equal to a flatter shooting gun in the open areas of Namibia. You do not need a premium bullet for Namibia game. Eland go down easily, same for kudu. Zebra and oryx need to be shot correctly but a .300 or .270 will take them.

Posts: 10082 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This first depends on which bullet gives you the best precision. One of my 375HH "likes" the 260 gr AB and the other was built to shoot the Barnes 270 gr TSX. So, use the best combination of precision and one-shot kill capability.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrester,
Ive shot a number of Eland with the 375 and the 260 gr.Nosler, it will leave an exit hole on a broadside shot about every time from most angles, and follow up shots will penetrate into the vitals on a going South shot. All that said, I prefer the 300 gr. bullets in the 375 for everything. It shoots flat enough for most instances..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If you can locate any Hirtenberger .375 H&H Mag. ammunition loaded with their 272 grain ABC bullet, buy all you can find. It's great stuff for anything needing an expanding bullet.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13313 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 grain Barnes TSX. There are MANY posts here regarding the Barnes TSX. Look them up, a very good record from smallest to largest plains game as well as on DG .

one of us
posted Hide Post
This thread brings to memory the day when Ph and good friend Phillip Price shot a huge bull Eland in the rear end with a 243 and a 100 gr. Rem Corelokt, one I had just put two 375s thru its heart and lungs, one into its guts and the last one in the neck..

What amazed me is the 100 gr. Corelokt penetrated that Eland full body length thru stomach and all that stuff and ended up in the neck in front of the shoulder and knocked a chunk of bone out of the edge of the shoulder..I was more than impressed and in wonderment...I have seen a number of instances near that, and it makes one wonder about the givens we have come to believe.. popcorn Confused Oh yeah, it was a 100 gr. Rem corelokt factory load..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Trophy bondeds in the .375 have always worked for me. But on my last trip to Namibia, I shot the 'big antelopes' with my .325 WSM and 200 grain Accubonds. All either dropped in their tracks or ran no more than 10-30 yards. I'm with Saeed-I've also used a .270 with 140 grain bullets and a .300 WSM with 180 grain trophy bondeds as well, all with the same results. Proper bullet placement is the primary key.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive used the Accubonds on about 6 elk and two safaris, in a number of calibers, Im really impressed, they rate with the partition and are more accurate for the most part..Ive used and/or witnessed them used in the 338, 30-06, 338-06, 7x57, 308, 8x57, 8x60, 257 and 9.3x62 and others,on game.. I recall not one animal has gone more than 40 yards after the shot.I will be using them again this year in my 8x57 and 8x60. mostly used on cull hunts for whitetail. My favorite combo so far is the 200 gr. Accubond in the 30-06 at 2700 FPS plus a bit. It works on the big antelope, and the smallest of deer.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 grain Sierra Gamekings are my choice for the big antelopes with the 375 H&H.

GG

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
235 TSX - .. these critters are killed with 270s "every day" in Texas

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38356 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those big bore Sierras are awesome in my .338 on elk, perfect expansion and enough penetration..

The local coffee shop boys, mostly farmers, ranchers, machanics and good friends swear by the Sierra 300 gr. BTSP in the now popular .338 Win. that's become the rifle of choice in most of Idaho these days..they always drop one or two on the table for all to witness the perfect mushrooms, say "for the money" I can't ague that they worked for me, but Im much to curious to settle on one bullet, I want to use them all, evaluating kills is part of the game for us "bullet diggers"... old

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 260 grain Nosler has worked quite well for me.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
since you come from Germany you could use the local TUG bullets.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same here. A kudu and eland: one shot each from the side. Perfect expansion and bulging the skin on the offside. Used them for buffalo too.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 Gr A-Frames and you are set from diker to cape buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to take the time, the effort and the expense of gathering all the components and loading your own, the Norma factory ammo with the 270 Barnes TSX is a very good all around cartridge.

https://www.norma-ammunition.c.../Barnes-TSX-270-gr-/

I used my .375 H&H in Namibia and loaded 260 grain Accubond bullets for slightly flatter trajectory. Biggest animals take were zebra and oryx and they worked just fine for one shot kills.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After using TSXs, A-Frames, Partitions, Sierras and Hornadys in 270 and 300 grain weights I have settled on 270 grain Swifts.

They will and have worked on grysbok to buffalo for me, from 20 yards to over 300 yards.

But I don't consider the 375 H&H a "big bore, giant killer" but more a medium bore, general purpose caliber.

I think I'll reserve the 300s for the Weatherby and RUM.

Posts: 539 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I used a .300WM or a .280 Rem with Barnes TSX bullets on all of my hunts in Namibia. A .375 is fine, but is not equal to a flatter shooting gun in the open areas of Namibia. You do not need a premium bullet for Namibia game. Eland go down easily, same for kudu. Zebra and oryx need to be shot correctly but a .300 or .270 will take them.

I just finished a moose hunt; my normal rifle, a .338WM, suddenly started shooting about 2-3 inch groups at 100, so I totally lost confidence in it. I switched to a .375 HH with 300 gr Swifts. I had a shot at a wolf at 320 yards; found hair and a small piece of hamburger, but no wolf. There were some small trees in the way and I might have nicked one of those, but at that range that bullet is dropping 2 inches for every 10 yards of travel.

I shot my moose at about 290; we ranged him at 320-330 but could not get a clear shot, and could not get closer (we were on a hill with a fast river below us). By the time the moose moved to a more clear shot, he was probably a bit closer; I hit him too high but ultimately he died. With a flatter shooting rifle I have no doubt I would have shot that wolf and done better on the moose. BUT, if I had shot my .375 more before my hunt at 300 to 400, I might have done better. I thought all my shots would be 200 or less, and the .375 isn't something I shoot at longer ranges in practice. I should have.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read the full string. Lots of good advice. Best is from Saeed. Do not over think this. Any of the Bullets mentioned are fine. A .375, if you shoot it well is fine. Anything from .270 to .300wm is perfect and likely better suited for plains game In Namibia. Have fun.

Also, I have shot the PH ‘s guns so I didn’t lug mine over there. All were good. Used a 257 Roberts once on averything. Worked find.

Posts: 10082 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Any premium bullet 250 gr or heavier. I've used 250 gr TTSX and 300 gr Aframe in Africa in my 375 H&H. 300 gr TSX in Alaska on bears.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3019 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
I use two bullets in my 375 H&Hs. 300 grain Barnes X and 300 grain Barnes Solids. I have shot everything from bushbuck and impala to Hippo and Cape and Water Buffalo with the Barnes X Bullets with perfect results. It makes things very easy, one bullet for everything and no changing of sighting. From my own personal experience I do not think that the Barnes X bullet can be beat. For elephant or Hippo I think that the Solid should be used Hope this helps.

Just got back from Zambia, brought a 375, TSX is all I brought for it - what I quoted above, I wish I could have said so clearly. TSX and Barnes solids are all you need.

PS, no animal went more than 10 feet after the shot. Singular. Shot.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 347 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote