THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Beefed up .416 Rigby brass?????

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beefed up .416 Rigby brass????? Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted
Seems like I remember some time back that one manufacturer was making some .416 Rigby brass with the head's web to .338 Lapua standards in order to allow higher pressures. Does anyone remember who this custom brass maker was??? THANKS in advance!

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
I've used both Norma and Hornady brass in 416Rigby without any pressure problems. Our loads are fully modern, that is, they push a 350grain bullet at 2825fps for 6200ftlbs of muzzle energy.

On the other hand, due to a practice of handloading in the US and doing most of the shooting in Africa, we have normally only used brass two times, without significant growth or extraction problems. The brass appears to be up to a normal standard, which means that it should be good for 65000psi. I asked Quality Cartridge about their brass and they verified that it was certified for 65000psi+. So I wouldn't be overly concerned up to about 65000psi in the 416Rigby in a modern bolt action rifle.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am using Norma brass - 4 reloads so far in about 40 cases - mostly modern loads of 2500+ fps for 400 gr & 2800+ fps for 350 gr bullets.

No trimming required and easy case extraction & chambering.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsracer:
Seems like I remember some time back that one manufacturer was making some .416 Rigby brass with the head's web to .338 Lapua standards in order to allow higher pressures. Does anyone remember who this custom brass maker was??? THANKS in advance!
You might check with Captech International regarding their Jamison headstamp brass: http://www.captechintl.com/
They do manufacture their 505 Gibbs brass to 408 CheyTech quality specifications.

I'm not sure about 416 Rigby brass being manufactured to 338 Lapua Magnum specifications primarily due to slight differences between rim thickness and groove specifications. Plus when they have .338 LM cylindrical brass available it's only about 2.75" long. But anything is possible...

Edit Added: I just thought, Captech manufacturers .338 Excalibur which is based off full-length .416 Rigby brass properly drawn to 65000 psi PMax. So maybe their .416 Rigby and .450 Rigby brass is manufactured with the same head construction. If not, perhaps they'd offer .338 Excalibur cylindrical brass from their production run (has headstamp).

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know the answer to your question, but I have run my Norma 416 Rigby brass to 416 Weatherby velocities once, saw no difference in expansion or primer pockets, that brass is still going strong.
I didn't persue those loads because the bullets were practically inside out in my bullet boxes, I stick with just over 2500fps with 410gr Woodleighs.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't persue those loads because the bullets were practically inside out in my bullet boxes, I stick with just over 2500fps with 410gr Woodleighs.

2500fps is a good margin call.
If a person goes over 2500fps they should consider using a monolithic like Barnes, CEB, or GSC. The all-metal bullets guarantee reliability and penetration beyond the lead-cores.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why even bother?

Normal Rigby brass is strong enough without any problems at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep,
Any maker producing both .416 Rigby and .338 Lapua Magnum brass is using the same head construction for both,
Norma, Hornady, and Captech for example.

I have sectioned Norma-made .416 Rigby and Norma-made .338 Lapua Magnum brass. I saw no difference.
If I can find the pics I will post.

Here is one pic easy to find: Lapua-made .338 Lapua Magnum brass for civilian use versus some once-fired military surplus brass.

Here is a sectioned Lapua milsurp versus a Lapua civilian case:

The milsurps are harder, not annealed like the civilian brass.
Only difference there, unless it is also a brass alloy thing.
You must carefully anneal any once-fired milsurp to re-use it.
That is why the military just tosses it by the hogshead I guess.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all those who replied. I do tend to run my Rigby a bit on the HOT side, LOL, but RIP's post helps put my mind to ease, and to Saeed (I feel honored for a response from YOU Sir, GREAT WEBSITE!), I am using Norma's brass, so thanks for easing my concerns.

Cheers!

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote