Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.585 Nyati Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm currently building a .585 Nyati on a CZ 550 Magnum action. That receiver is set-up for .416 Rigby. Relieving the rails won't be a problem but I do have a question on the bolt face. Do most of you guys rebate the rims to Rigby diameter or do you open the bolt to 0.640? The latter seems possible but the walls will get awful thin on a 0.700". Any recommendations would be appreciated.

BTW, the reamer is by Pacific and is correctly ground in the neck for Bertram brass. Dies are by CH-4D, while the barrel is a McGowan.

Thanks,

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

Posts: 380 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
that same action and bolt are used on the gibbs case, and if you can do it without a rebate, you'll be miles ahead

bertram brass is soft, and you can't hit 2300 with it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
quote:
Do not even attempt the .416 Rigby bolt face. You must open it up to .640. Yes it's thin but that's never been a problem.
I really suggest you Lay down and wait for this idea to go away! Been there and done that. You'll regret it! I have a working 585 Nyati and unless you have Horneber brass and a throat reamer you are not going to be a happy camper. I speak from experience not BS.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Bertram brass is crap and will stick badly in any chamber. Find some of the Horneber stuff and still expect to neck turn.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, if you own a complete rifle appropriately built for the .585 Nyati. How hard is it to find the components on regular bases. Or do you have to horde them when available.
If you have the do it once attitude, what route would you go for components:"Dies,brass,bullets, etc..."

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
585 HE? Ed Hubel has tons of brass and dies.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you mean the 577 BME, right?

the brass for either is hard to come by

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
585 HE- tons of brass

Yep, We got 9000 cases and mfg has many
thousands more than that of them.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
For the 685 Nyati there are so many variations out there it's hard To say what works without a chamber cast of your rifle. I've personally fixed at least A dozen of them and seen twice that many I would not touch. While it can be made to work it's probably the most difficult big bore in existence as so many gunsmiths tried and failed. Does are not an issue but brass definitely is. It all depends on what chamber dimensions you have. Horneber brass is the holy grail of Nyati owners.finding any is a problem. Bertram is crap and to be avoided. If you own a Nyati, my honest suggestion is call Wayne at AHR and have him rebarrel to a .600 overkill. You'll be glad you did! -Rob

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the 685 Nyati there are so many variations out there it's hard To say what works without a chamber cast of your rifle. I've personally fixed at least A dozen of them and seen twice that many I would not touch. While it can be made to work it's probably the most difficult big bore in existence as so many gunsmiths tried and failed. Dies are not an issue but brass definitely is. It all depends on what chamber dimensions you have. Horneber brass is the holy grail of Nyati owners.finding any is a problem. Bertram is crap and to be avoided. If you own a Nyati, my honest suggestion is call Wayne at AHR and have him rebarrel to a .600 overkill. You'll be glad you did! -Rob