THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    NEW Verney Carron 600 NE - it finally arrived

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW Verney Carron 600 NE - it finally arrived Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Hello All,

Well, after playing around with a dozen Double Rifles, and near as many Big-Bore Bolt Rifles, I finally stepped up - into the World of the 600 Nitro Express.

A Verney Carron Custom Shop XA Azur, with lots of Whistles and Bells. If you're going to go for it - you might as well get what you want.

And ........... it finally arrived.

After getting it home, I sat under the reading light with my magnifying glass, and just looked at for an hour. Every time I turned it, I saw some detail that I had missed.

I tried to show all the special features, but the photos don't do it justice - you've got to actually hold it to appreciate the beauty.

I haven't been this excited about a new gun, for nearly 40 years. dancing

To best describe my excitement . . . . . . . . . . its like they say in the commercials, "... If it lasts for more than 4 hours, seek medical attention ..."

Tell me what you think.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Please post this under double rifles, too.
I've said for years that if I was going to buy a new double it would be a VC.
Congratulations on a fine choice of a double rifle. Personally I think you should join us in May for a double rifle shoot in Alaska.
I've taken my .600 Wilkes on four over seas hunts, including plains game along with buffalo, water buffalo, hippo, and a moose here in Alaska (outside of Galena) and the .600 is a great all around cartridge within the range limitations.
Again, congratulations on your magnificent double rifle.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My word, that is a beautiful rifle!

I'm not into DRs, but that must be up there.

Congratulations. You have great taste.

Remember, to be on the safe side, you shouldn't sleep with your rifle in bed with you. Big Grin

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Cal,

Thanks for the reply.

It was reading your book on the 600 NE, that made me do it.

Thank you for writing it.

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking rifle.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I like the rhino, it is quite photo like. Excuse my ignorance but where is the front stud for a sling or is it designed to use a sling that wraps around the barrels and then attaches to the rear sling eye?

Without a front stud there is nothing to attach a bipod to Wink

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new double.

I had VC build me a very similar 600 myself a couple of years ago.
I went with 26" tubes.
Mine came in at just on 14lb. It will certainly get your attention when you shoot it!!!!!
A word of caution, shoot back trigger first until you get use to the recoil, so you don't double discharge.

Hold onto it real tight as well. You will enjoy.

I've shot a bull ele and tuskless cow with mine.

Hopefully you will take it to Africa too.

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. Congrats on the new acquisition; I'm sure it was worth the wait.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
just gorgeous!!!

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle, just too much caliber for me.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simply mahvelous.
Excellent test target.
Time between shots 5 seconds?
Can you duplicate that load from Kynoch with your handload?
If you get tired of it, I will take it off your hands, no questions asked.
Yes, that rhino is amazing. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

Thanks for all your replies,

quote:
Simply mahvelous.
Excellent test target.
Time between shots 5 seconds?
Can you duplicate that load from Kynoch with your handload?

Hello RIP,

Thanks for the reply.

I fired this target in 3 pairs of shots, 6 shots total. Time between R1 and L1 was about 20 to 30 seconds. That's how long it takes me to look through the spotting scope to see the location of R1, record that location on my note card, then pick-up my 6x binoculars to see the chrograph reading, record the reading, and then pick-up the rifle and take careful aim, and fire L1. I would then record L1 in the same way.

By the time I finished recording L1, and reloading for the next pair, about 2 to 3 minutes would pass. All in all it takes me about 7 minutes to fire and record 6 shots. I then put the rifle in front of a fan to cool, while I walk down range to photograph and measure the group. When the rifle has cooled, I repeat the same procedure for the next load.

I actually tested 3 loads on this initial trip to the range. The other 2 groups were 3-7/8" and 4" for 6 shots each using

Once I'm happy with a load, I'll fire in pairs of about 5 seconds between shots and record only the individual velocities from the chronograph's memory.

Past experience has shown that my groups will improve somewhat when fired in pairs with about 5 seconds between shots. I think much of the improvement is due to the fact that I don't put the rifle down between shots like I do when I'm recording a load during developement.

As far as duplicating factory Kynoch ballistics, I'm sure I can, but I'm not ready to go FULL HOUSE yet. I want to get a feel for the gun first.

NOTE: I DISCOVERED AN ERROR IN THE TARGET I POSTED ON DOUBLE RIFLES, AND I CORRECTED IT. THE TARGET WAS SHOT WITH 900g CAST BULLETS, NOT 900g WOODLEIGH'S.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
That is the best looking new DR I have see pictures of (except for the H&H & Purdey doubles)

I just love the way the old fashioned scroll work is done - it looks 3D in those photos. I love the minor details in the fore end fittings that seem to be engrave to scale - smaller scrolls for the smaller metal pieces.

Congratulations on a grand and wonderful piece of art!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckstics. Absolutely gorgeous! The rhino is perfect. I love my .577 VC with a buffalo but the quality of you rhino is outstanding. Just was in London and popped in to H&H and they had a bespoke .577 for final stock fitting available. £175k but I d say yours in looks is equivalent. Their 50yds group was about 1.5 " group for four shot by Steve Cranston... I presume off a front hand rest on a bench as shown in there magazine photos.

Happy hunting with a beaut!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely .... Enjoy

Posts: 1612 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Very nice, I like the rhino, it is quite photo like.

Hello eagle27.

Thanks for the reply.

Its interesting you mention photo like. I actually thought it might me some kind of photo-etch process, but its not. Its an actual engraving. I'm sure the engraver also works for the French Mint
to engrave the printing plates used for printing paper money. What remarkable detail!

And, as I said earlier, I spend a lot of time looking with a magifying glass and discovering new things about my rifle that I hadn't seen before.

Well, here's one. The close-up of the Rhino looks very good, but when you look through a magnifying glass you can see where the engraver signed his artwork. Straight right of the Rhino's horn,
just off the edge of the engraving, he engraved his name.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
That rhino engraving looks like a picture from a distance - amazing work!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buckstix,

Wow again on the engraving.
Artist name "Gontol" or "Gantel" or what permutation of spelling am I seeing sideways there?

I understand what you are doing with the "noregulating" loads, music lessons, but that baby won't sing until you get to the "regulating" loads. tu2

The factory test target is a new thing for me as I have never seen a double rifle target with only 2 shots plus the time interval between shots specified, 5 seconds,
seems to me,
but my French was only one year, eighth grade, after that I switched to Latin for 9th and 10th grade, then college Russian. hilbily

As you were.

Barrel heating with a right and a left 900-grainer 5 seconds apart ala Kynoch (that's French lingo I think) must make the baby sing exquisitely.

I am sure R2 and L2 would be fine too, but I might settle for just R1 and L1 five seconds apart and call it good, if I had to do the shooting. Wink

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Thanks buckstix, it surely is a very nice double and another feature I really like is the rolled edges to the trigger guard, something I have not seen before (in photos). Although I imparted a little humor to my question, I am interested to know why there is a rear sling stud installed but seemingly nothing up front for a sling attachment. I have seen videos of the odd PH carrying a double with a sling so presume it is not all that uncommon.
Birdhunters often use slings on their SxS shotguns with the sling attached up front by a loop around the barrels in front of the forearm.

Is this the intention for your VC if you wished to sling carry?

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello eagle27,

Thanks for the reply.

I thought you were joking.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Ah ha it was there all the time tu2

You can be justifiably proud of that gun, the case is an exquisite work of art on its own, best wishes for a great future with that beauty.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello eagle27,

Thanks for your reply.

I was surprised to find that this rifle also came with a set of "imported" quick detachable sling swivels.

.......... Uncle Mike's.

Imported if you live in France.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the .600 is a great all around cartridge within the range limitations.Again, congratulations on your magnificent double rifle.

Dam would make a great PD gun with in its range limitations. Eeker

First time I heard that a 600 14 plus pound rifle as great all around gun. Big Grin

Looks a heck of a rifle

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello p dog shooter.

Thanks for the reply.

I agree, and I just might try it. I shot a few with my 460 wby mag once. It was awesome.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
Hello p dog shooter.

Thanks for the reply.

I agree, and I just might try it. I shot a few with my 460 wby mag once. It was awesome.

I shot a couple with my 416T just because I could a 300gr at over 2600fps barely has enough power for those big MT PDs the 600 would be just about right. dancing

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Stunning gun!!!

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello dogcat.

Thank you for the reply.

As I pointed out on the other post, one of the features that I really like about my rifle is the Palm Swell on the grip of the stock.

This feature helps in reducing recoil. The Palm Swell fills your hand when you firmly grip the rifle, and actually pushes your hand during recoil. This adds the weight of your hand, your wrist, your forearm, and even part of your upper arm, to the weight of the rifle during recoil. And as we know, added weight reduces recoil.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
Hello eagle27,

Thanks for your reply.

I was surprised to find that this rifle also came with a set of "imported" quick detachable sling swivels.

.......... Uncle Mike's.

Imported if you live in France.

They are the best fittings. German made Rechnagels tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I've said for years that if I was going to buy a new double it would be a VC. ..... Again, congratulations on your magnificent double rifle.
Cal

When you buy a book from Cal Pappas, be careful what he writes in it. ..... His prediction might come true ..... and lead to the purchase of a new rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, love the palm swell grip, just like an old Sako or a CZ Kevlar stock by B&C. Suits me fine!

Do not send the 600 NE back to VC to have the White Rhino changed to a Black Rhino.
The wide-lipped one is bigger and more handsome than the pointy-lipped little beast.
Big and handsome, just like your 600 NE. tu2

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello RIP,

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't understand how a few people instantly identified my engraved Rhino as a "White" Rhino, instead of a "Black" Rhino.

I had to go to Wikipedia ro find out. Now that I know the difference, its obvious.

The White Rhinoceros or Square-lipped rhinoceros is one of the five species of rhinoceros that still exist. It has a wide mouth used for grazing and is the most social of all rhino species.

Mass: 5,100 lbs (Male)
Lifespan: 40 – 50 years
Height: 5.6 – 6.1 ft. (Male, At Shoulder)

The Black Rhinoceros or Hook-lipped Rhinoceros, is a species of rhinoceros, native to the eastern and central areas of Africa including Kenya, Tanzania, Cameroon, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and Angola.

Mass: 1,800 – 3,100 lbs (Adult)
Lifespan: 35 – 50 years
Height: 4.3 – 5.9 ft. (Adult, At Shoulder)

And yes, the White Rhino is just like my 600 NE. "Big", "Heavyweight", and "Social".

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

Here is an update for those that would like some loading data for the 600 NE.

Since I had not yet fired my 600 NE with full-house Factory loads, I went to the range this morning to find out what it would do.

Holy Crap! ! ! ... The recoil surprized me! ! !

I typically shoot my double rifles on our 50-yard range from a standing position using a special bench I put together that has padded arm rests. In this case I shot on our 25 yard range with a make-shift set-up. I think that accounts for the slight shift to the "left" on the targets.

My VC barrels are 7/8" apart at the muzzle, so it looks like there is slight convergence at 25 yards, but I'm very much satisfied with the results - regulation being "right-on" at this range.

My reduced handload, which were very pleasant to shoot, resulted in nearly identical grouping at this range.

One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
Simply beautiful!!!

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, with factory loads, at 100 yards, both barrels will shoot into one hole on the target.
I could live with that. tu2

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
So, with factory loads, at 100 yards, both barrels will shoot into one hole on the target.
I could live with that. tu2

Hello RIP,

Thanks for the reply.

Don't I wish? tu2

My old eyes can't see well enough to aim at 100 yds with iron sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lovley bit of kit mate, well done

Aussie copper projectiles

www.auscopperprojectiles.com

Posts: 59 | Location: australia | Registered: 09 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

Here is another update for those that would like some "reduced" loading data for the 600 NE.

Up until now I've not tried any of my reduced loads at 100 yds.

Well, today I did. I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm ready for Wisconsin hunting.

Unfortunately I only have about 50 of these "early" Barnes bullets left. The 900g Woodleighs haven't done as well - yet.

I'll be continuing to test them hoping to find what load they like. My 900g cast bullets grouped 5-3/8" at 100 yds, also quite acceptable.