THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Magnaport good or bad and how good does it work ?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnaport good or bad and how good does it work ? Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a few rifles 416 rem mags and maybe a 338 win mag that just kick too hard these days .I have read about magnaport and think it's the best looking without having a ugly muzzle break on my rifles .I want to keep shooting these and I am about to turn 59 and recoil really effects me alot more these days .I use to shoot my 416s 125 times a day with reduced loads of 350 gr8 speer bullets at 2400 fps .I heard that the magnaporting is was less loud than muzzlebreakes too .
I heard it mainly stops muzzle rise .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a short barreled Sako in 458 WM and a 454 Casull both with MagnaPort. It did reduce muzzle rise notably and made the Casull quite shootable. I don't know how much it reduced recoil in the 458 as the rifle came with the MagnaPort but I do know it kicked less than my MK 10 458. Yes! It does look way better than a brake.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12850 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Agree on the aesthetics of the MagnaPort but it was designed to just reduce muzzle rise by directing small amounts of gas upwards rather than full blown muzzle break which directs a whole lot of gas and noise some angle to the rear.
By far the best is the suppressor which does a great job of recoil and noise suppression.

It seems it is quite a mission to have suppressors in some countries, we are fortunate here where they are not restricted and have become almost a given on new rifles or retro fitted to older rifles. For protecting the shooters hearing and confusing animals in hunting situations the suppressor reigns supreme. I wouldn't be exaggerating to say a suppressor is the rule in NZ hunting rather than the exception. I and my three sons all shoot 7mm-08's, mine the only one without a suppressor yet, but the boys rifles are just so much more pleasant to shoot.

Posts: 3834 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
I have a few rifles 416 rem mags and maybe a 338 win mag that just kick too hard these days .I have read about magnaport and think it's the best looking without having a ugly muzzle break on my rifles .I want to keep shooting these and I am about to turn 59 and recoil really effects me alot more these days .I use to shoot my 416s 125 times a day with reduced loads of 350 gr8 speer bullets at 2400 fps .I heard that the magnaporting is was less loud than muzzlebreakes too .
I heard it mainly stops muzzle rise .

I am not sure. I have a 454 and at least one 475 Linebaugh that were factory MagnaPorted with 1 port on each side. I assume they hold the muzzle rise down some. I have others of the same not ported. I will have to go on their advertising and believe what they say. The noise of these, I cannot say is noticeable different.
I have been curious as to having it done on a Kimber Montana in 325 WSM. It has some muzzle rise when on the bench. I think cutting the muzzle rise would also have an effect on felt recoil at the shoulder.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
dgr416,
I have the mad-na-port on a .308 (totally stopped muzzle rise and allowed staying on target) and a .338 Win Mag ( stopped muzzle rise and reduced recoil some) rifle is pleasant to shoot. My favorite big bore staking rifle, (Winchester 1895 .405 WCF) is at Mag-na-port now so I can hunt with it this fall.

Here is what the vendor has to say about the product:

"It should be noted that Mag-na-porting a firearm:

does NOT reduce velocity
does NOT affect inherent accuracy
does NOT raise noise level
Mag-na-porting:

DOES reduce muzzle lift
DOES reduce perceived recoil
DOES increase the value of a firearm

If you are truly interested, check out their website.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I could be converted, but I hate muzzlebrakes. They are just too loud and I hunt without ear protection. Don't think you need one with a .454 Casull, just hold it a little looser with one hand and the recoil isn't bad. Same thing with two hands.

Posts: 9970 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DGR, I have a 338 WM, 20" barrel, <9 lbs with scope and ammo, it's easy to shoot because of the soft recoil pad Savage uses on their synthetic stocks. The recoil does not bother me at all. I would see about a nice soft pad before I would do any barrel work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience compared to everyone here.

That said I bought a magnum PAST recoil pad and shot 22 300 grain .375 h&h from the bench today.

Game changer for me.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
I have no experience compared to everyone here.

That said I bought a magnum PAST recoil pad and shot 22 300 grain .375 h&h from the bench today.

Game changer for me.

As I do a lot of shooting off the bench, with all sorts of large calibers - up to the 577 T.Rex, I have two MAGNUM PAST pads stuck together.

I use these shooting anything up to 416.

Anything bigger sand I use a shot bag between the stock and my shoulders.

On many occasions, I would shoot between 50-80 rounds off the bench like this.

I get a bit of brain rattle, but not too serious! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66854 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
A big part of perceived or felt recoil is the slap to the face not just the shoulder. This is how or why magma-port works. In handguns it is the reduction or the pistol trying to rotate out of your hand that is desirable. I’ve only had one; a smith 29 44 mag done. With that done double action with full power loads was usable.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
From Magnaport's website, Their Magnaporting will reduce recoil by about 15%, whereas their Magna Break will reduce recoil up to 45%.

Magnaporting is designed to reduce muzzle jump,

Magnabrakes are designed to reduce recoil.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I can't say for a fact, but have been told by accuracy buffs that once the ports become worn from gas cutting, accuracy falls off drastically

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4190 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's just physics; Magnaport does not reduce recoil by much; it mainly is for reducing muzzle rise. If you really want to reduce recoil, you need to direct gas rearward. With a brake. Which also increases noise by a lot. Look at a Recoilless Rifle and you will see how; they direct as much gas to the rear as to the front, and the gun does not move at all. Of course, it will kill you if you stand behind it.
59? Merely a kid.
You can't circumvent the laws of physics; no free lunch as they say. The equation has to be balanced. Another way to reduce recoil, is to add weight.
BTW, you can do the same thing as magna port, by drilling holes in the top of your barrel. I've done it. Just doesn't look as cool.

Posts: 17070 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I don't own a rifle that doesn't have a muzzle brake on it.

Posts: 7764 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I think I'll just keep my 500 Jeffery as is (no brake or ports) and continue to take a beating. Eventually you can't remember it.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4714 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
I think I'll just keep my 500 Jeffery as is (no brake or ports) and continue to take a beating. Eventually you can't remember it.

You sound like me!

I was told I have lead shot for brains, no recoil affects it! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66854 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
they work, they are loud ..

consider mercury tubes in the forearm and buttstock

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38422 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't mind a good muzzle brake, and the larger it is the better it works..I don't like the Magnaport as it does not work as well as a good brake. and does not give the option of taking it off..?? 1.5x slighty larger than the crown seems about right with proper cuts to direct gases both ways helps with noise...I use mine at the bench, working up loads, sighting in etc, unscrew them and twist on a cap (thread protector) that is fit hard to see. I don't hunt with a brake as a rule...I do this for my friends in the field, for whiners I tell them the good Lord gave them finger, stickum in your ears!!.. My braked guns don't change POI, apparantly most do have this problem, I dunno why, but I guess Ive been lucky, or some are installed improperly perhaps, oh well not my problem..the older I get the more I appreciate the muzzle brake...BTW I also take a half dozen ear plugs on a string to hang on the neck when I go overseas, then if I want to use the brake I give a set to who's with me...PH etc..All these things can be worked out pretty easy and with a little thought...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41787 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
Mercury tubes, lead etc. seems to make a big bore too heavy for me. too much leae in the butt puts it out of balance. I like a bit of weight out front in a rifle for off hand shooting...Ive played with this a bit but never seem to get it right..could you go into a bit more detail as to how you balance the gun and handling the extra weight say with an existing rifle as opposed to a custom rifle..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41787 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I have mercury or mechanical reducers in the butt stocks of two of my rifles and three of my shotguns. Depending in the brand and size of the reducer they add 6-8 ounces to the weight of the stock. The reducers in all of my guns are in the back of the stock, next to the recoil pad.

I have shot literally hundreds of thousands of rounds through my competition Trap and Skeet shotguns, and hundreds of rounds through each of my .375 RUM and .300 Wby rifles and I don't notice butt heavy out of balance in any of these guns.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got 3 handguns with magnaporting on them.

To be honest, they don’t work anywhere as well as a full up compensator for pistols. They cut muzzle rise to me, but I’ve frankly not noticed any real recoil reduction. The most notable effect is with the .41 magnum, the .45 colt it’s a nonissue, and the .45-70 is noticeable, but not a major deal.

I will say that the .41 with the porting is the most accurate handgun I have. It has repeatedly shot sub 1” groups for 6 shots at 100 yards- but not consistently, so I won’t call it a MOA gun. (S&W 657 hunter revolver)

I’ve shot rifles with them and failed to see much effect.

To me, if you want magnaporting on a long arm, you are ahead by threading it for a suppressor to reduce recoil, and the noise is a nonissue then.

Yes, magnaporting does not change balance which a suppressor or a comp will.

To me it’s not enough improvement to make it worthwhile, but that’s my personal opinion.

Posts: 10511 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
"but that’s my personal opinion."
Exactly!
Many different strokes for different folks!

The small (but VERY effective) difference on my pre 64 featherweight M70 .308 might not be noticed on a different long gun or by a different person, BUT it made a big difference to me and I am the shooter of that rifle. Definitely worth the money.
The same goes for my .338 and .405 WCF.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have most of my hearing not being around those damn things. None of my hunting partners chooses to use them either. Anytime someone showed up to the bench next to me with one of those I would immediately move as far away as possible. Hunting guides almost always ask on the front side of a hunt if my rifle had a break. The brakes are offensive to a lot of hunters in the business. I think it is common courtesy if you are using a braked gun on a guided hunt to provide on the front side hearing protection to your guide, wrangler, hunting companion, ph, trackers. One round close by can damage ones hearing permanently. My take is if you can’t handle the recoil downsize your rifle, upgrade your bullet, hunt by yourself and practice more. Your braked rifle can affect all around you, and ones hearing is not replaceable. I think brakes are a self centered decision. I am glad I learned the negative noise effects of brakes early on in my shooting career and I still have most of my hearing although a very lengthy amount of guns and shooting

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Magnaport good or bad and how

The thread title is about Magnaporting, not muzzle brakes. BIG difference.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
quote:
Magnaport good or bad and how

The thread title is about Magnaporting, not muzzle brakes. BIG difference.

CR,

Magnaport
is a is a muzzle brake, just less vents. They even make a model called a magnabrake that is the same it just screws off (threaded). I have moved from my bench many times from shooters setting up next to me with magnaported rifles. They do create a side muzzle blast and they are louder.

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
My family has one Weatherby rifle with a real muzzle brake and there is no way to confuse that with a Magnaported rifle. That braked Weatherby blows papers and other items off the shooting benches two benches away on both sides of the rifle. Shoot it from a tree blind and it suddenly becomes autumn, with barren branches where leaves were.
That is a muzzle brake!
And no one in my family will shoot that rifle with the brake on at a public range.

None of that happens with any of my three rifles with the Magnaport - not even any reports of increased noise.

PS If a shooter at a public range sets up next to me with his muzzle braked rifle, I also move away.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnaport is good. I have several rifles that are magnaported.

They definitely reduced muzzle jump. Nice when Africa’s mean stuff is coming for you.
They do reduce recoil some.
I haven’t noticed any noise increase. Factory info says none.

I have some very accurate rifles that have been magnaported. My experience: Magnaporting does not affect accuracy. Been hunting with MP rifles since 1980.

Magnaporting does not change the appearance of the rifles. Most folks don’t even notice it.

Screw on brakes are many times louder and ugly.

I am not that sensitive to recoil up to and including .458 but I say why not take advantage of what magnaport offers.

My humble opinion.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
BUTCH tu2

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
They all do the same thing, they direct gases in various directions to one degree or another..Its not that complicated and they are all the same thing with those gases going somewhat different depending on the maker...Pendleton made the first one but they didn't have it figued out and didn't cut the holes at an angle appparantly..

Any smith worth his salt should be able make one, but thats not always the case..Ive seen some funky stuff out there..I like the KDF slimline type but the big long bulky brakes work best as to recoil..

As to noise well homer a unbraked big bore rifle with ruin your hearing, Im living proof of that..

Curtesy says if you shoot a brake or any rifle it nice to give those around you ear plugs or suggest they use their God given fingers..

The subject is much to be made over nothing, such as those that want double action automatic pistol.. sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120