Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

404 Jeff Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Saw a really nice 404 Jeff on the AHR website, seems like a decent price too. Any thoughts on whether this is a good deal?

Posts: 184 | Location: Sugar Land, Tx | Registered: 30 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Price it out. His grade 3 pulse dies etc will put you over $4000 without the basic rifle.

Wayne has always seemed fair for what you get.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are selling the 404 for another AR member. Everything you need to get into a 404 is there and priced very reasonable. It's got a killer piece of dark English walnut to boot.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Wayne built it, it's good to go anywhere, anytime.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
What Biebs said.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much for the input!

Posts: 184 | Location: Sugar Land, Tx | Registered: 30 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention; our lifetime warranty goes with the rifle.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Wow! Beautiful rifle.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still tempting ….

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wayne builds the most dependable custom rifles on the CZ actions. He is the man to talk to.

Plus, he is a genuinely fine human being.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My friend said I needed something between my 375 H&H and 450 Rigby. I have a 416 Rigby but not a 404 (he also said I need a 9.3 x 62 so I got one....my friend costs me lots of money LOL)
I had looked around at standard factory 404's and decided they were expensive, and didn't have a lot of "character" to them. I wanted something different. What I chose to do (after much research) was to take a 375 H&H and have it rebarrelled to 404. I found a used 375 H&H Model 70 All Weather Stainless Controlled Round Feed for a decent price. I know I mentioned I didn't find standard factory rifles appealing but I personally have yet to see a 404 Jeffery in Stainless. I thought it might be interesting to have one built. Corlane's in BC will be doing the work. They will be using either a PacNor or Lilja barrel (they already have the chamber reamer). Very little gunsmithing is needed. I'm going to end up with an "All Weather Rifle" in 404 Jeffery for around $2500 (I'm getting a few extra's added hence the $2500 tag).
I'm purchasing dies/shellholder from CH4D in Ohio.
I would like to get some RWS brass (needle in a haystack time) but will use Norma if I can't get RWS. I have a few BELL cases that a friend gave me.
Looking forward to shooting it!

Posts: 11 | Location: Canada | Registered: 09 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you will have a Great coastal brown bear rifle. !! What twist will the barrel be? Sights,scope?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Wayne=The best

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Cold Trigger Finger.
Barrel length is 24" with target crown, and rate of twist is 1/14. The rear sight will stay on the rifle (std Williams adjustable). I'm having a wrap around front sight (like you would find on a CZ) installed. I will be putting a Nikon Monarch 3 1-4x20 w/German #4 reticle scope on it. Rings & bases will be Leupold either QR's or DD's. I think I was also having a barrel band also installed for the sling.
Got a call from Corlanes on Friday saying my barrel had arrived. So just waiting my turn for assembly Smiler

Posts: 11 | Location: Canada | Registered: 09 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 404 is my all time favorite "big bore" but I'm a nostalgic and most 404 users are and for that reason we chose the 404...IMO a 404 should be a English rifle, or a first class custom rifle and this rifle is certainly that.

For a Alaskan rifle I would opt for any of the larger calibers from a 338 up, and prefer stainless steel and plastic..Don't like stainless and plastic guns, but a hunter should own one at least.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote