Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting Edge Bullets Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone here have any experience with Cutting Edge Bullets on cape buffalo? Please share your experience.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a buffalo to far back hit the liver and shredded it with a big hole and six petal cuts ran 30yds and keeled over. I have great success with their bullets highly recommend

Posts: 170 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cnm123, Thanks for posting. What cartridge were you using? Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I have shot 2 buffalo and 1 elephant with them.
They work great. Solids and the expanding models

Only bullet i will now use in my double

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris, Thanks for posting. Can I ask what calibre?

I like them too. I have a single shot rifle with custom chamber. 50-110 Winchester necked down to a true .500 cal. I like the 410 gr. raptor at 1940 fps for cape buffalo. So far, three one shot kills with it. ( I don't mean to brag. Fact is, I just try and get close so I can't miss by much.)
Next year I will shoot that bullet at 2100 fps. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Brian,
Shot a cape buffalo with a 450/400 Nitro Express using the Cutting Edge Safari Raptor. 370 grain at 2250 fps. Absolutely flattened a cape buffalo. Of course I paid the insurance shot. I'm working up a load for my 275 Rigby using a 130 grain CEB. I recomend CEB highly.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impala, Thanks for posting. I killed a big bodied cape buffalo with a 375 HH, CEB Solid. 300 grain, 2500 fps 50 yds. Deep straight penetration, stem to stern , passing through top of heart. Ran/bucked for 30 yds and went down. Brian

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Chris, Thanks for posting. Can I ask what calibre?

450 NE
Using the 480 Gr bullets

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
416 Remington

Posts: 170 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've taken one buffalo and one elephant with CEB bullets in the 577NE. Good performance with both.

I've taken quite a few plains game and a male lion with CEB bullets in the 9.3X74R. Great performance all around.

The PHs I've hunted with also speak highly of them.

If you are shooting a DR, the CEB bullets were designed to produce very low barrel strains in addition to their outstanding terminal performance.

For more extensive info on these bullets, and their development, go here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...861098911#2861098911

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mono metals always work, regardless who makes them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
On the buffalo with the 577NE what CEB bullet, weight and Raptor or solid, did you use?
On the lion a guess you used a Raptor. I'll bet that got his attention.

I got the Covid 19 blues and am keen on bullet terminal performance details. Thanks, Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impala#03, With the buffalo and your 450/400NE where did you hit him?
Also, I know this is about big bores, but I am working on a 7mm08 for my grandson. I wonder if the CEB Raptors still work well in those smaller cals. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Thanks for posting. I know that your mono metals work very well. Brian

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed, Thanks for posting. I know that your mono metals work very well. Brian

I have hunted with Barnes X, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Jensen bullets.

The Bear Claws and Jensens are similar - lead in the front half, solid copper in the rear.

I have also hunted with Swift A Frames.

All worked.

But I was not happy that theSwifts always lost the lead from the rear partition.

These were used in a very high velocity 7mm rifle.

I used bothBarnes X 130, 140 and Trophy Bonded 140 in various 270 caliber wildcats.

Again, they all worked very well, not a single failure, and absolutely no difference in effect on the animals.

Animals ranged from dunkers to eland.

For hunting, I like a bullet that expands, and penetrates.

Mono do that extremely well.

I don’t give much to any of the different claims from different manufacturers.

Use whatever shoots well in your rifle.

Regardless of make, or caliber.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in a local store yesterday and box of 400 grain CEB was on the deep discount table. Bullets only. I do not recall the exact price but can return and price check if one of you wants them.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Brian, The buffalo was facing left, quartering to me. Hit him low point of the shoulder. I am going to hunt bison in New Mexico this winter with the same rifle. Should work just fine. I am working up loads for my 275 I mentioned earlier. Velocity around 2900 fps with very good 5 shot groups.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impala#03 thanks. excellent kill.

Bison hunting NM! Sounds interesting.

Heres some trivia. Gallup, NM is named after an ancestor of mine. He was the telegraph operator there for the Atcheson Chepeka (sorry for the bad spelling?) and SantaFe rail roads, I have read. Gallups came to the USA in the early 1600's. At the start of the war of independence, some Gallup's were "united empire loyalist" and went north to Nova Scotia. Brian Gallup

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd,
On the buffalo with the 577NE what CEB bullet, weight and Raptor or solid, did you use?
On the lion a guess you used a Raptor. I'll bet that got his attention.

I got the Covid 19 blues and am keen on bullet terminal performance details. Thanks, Brian

Brian, I hit the buffalo too far back on the initial shot. There is a video of the hunt here on AR. He was facing quartering to me. I aimed at the shoulder point but for I misjudged the angle a bit. I hit him just behind the shoulder with a Rapter. We found the shank under the skin on the offside hind quarter. Being hit with a single lung shot on the first one, he got his adrenaline up and ran us around the brush for a couple of hours before I got the opportunity for a follow up shot. I ended up pumping several solids and Raptors into him before he gave up the ghost. A better first shot and he would have been down right away, 100% as that bullet penetrated well with the shank completely intact.

On the lion, yep, he was immediately impressed. There is a vide of that hunt here on AR as well. First shot knocked him off his feet and he started rolling and flipping down hill. I got the left barrel into him as well before he disappeared as he was rolling. We found him dead in the exact spot he rolled into.

I've shot several of the smaller animals with the BBW 13 Solids. Some ran a little, most didn't. I've shot Kudu, several impala, several baboons, and a couple of warthogs with the Raptors. All of those were one shot kills and all but one impala fell in their tracks. There are several videos on those as well here on the forum.

It's a pretty devastating bullet. I'm normally a Barnes TSX fan but I have to say the Raptors have probably performed even better than the TSX.

They are good bullets without a doubt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, Very interesting! Thanks. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the few Canucks around here.
If you are having difficulty importing CEB Bullet, components and other gun stuff from the USA, you can use Reloading International in Oregon. They make it easy and straight forward.
Also the laws have changed a bit making it even better/easier on some gun stuff. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them and will use THEM only! Performance on real life animals is impressive! They allow you to go down and bullet weight, gain velocity and are devastating.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reloading International in Oregon

The link to North Fork in Sweden has disappeared from Reloading International in Oregon.
CEB still lives there.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP, I didn't notice that, Thanks, Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As, mentioned before, I killed three cape buffalo broad side at 40-50 yds. Mid shoulder shot, one shot each, .500 cal, .410 gr. Raptor at 1,940 MV. All DRT. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ve used solids and non con in 577. Solids performance superb. Solid Went through vertebrae with straight line penetration and looked good under skin. Also shot buff longitudinally with solid and ended up under skin. The non con made a big hole in the heart. About an inch diameter. Maybe ragged edge “drilled” through. Did not find many of the broken off pieces or imprints in the heart. Probably did not reach heart.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LR3, 577. Cool!
Your .577 non con CEB on the buffalo really interests me. Please tell me what weight, 600gr.? Was it a broadside shot? Interesting that the break away pieces didn't reach the heart.
I have used Peregrine 700 gr. BushMaster bullets once in my 577NE. High shoulder shot. It was like the buffalo was struck by lightening.
I will use the CEB 600 Raptor and 650 Solid the next time I take my 577NE for buffalo. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered some 295gr, .458 cal. SS Raptors for moose in my 45-70. Has anybody used them?
I bet they would be a holy terror in my Lott. brian

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I had good experience with the Cutting Edge bullets, put them where they go and things will die.

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
For more extensive info on these bullets, and their development, go here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...861098911#2861098911

Todd,

303 Pages, I had a lot of fun with that thread.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Have shot 3 ele with .510 solids (.500 NE)...performance was perfect.

Have shot an eland, a zebra, and a kudu with my .458 WM - 420 gr Safari Raptors...devastating performance on those critters with great penetration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my 500-110 (50-110 Winchester necked down to true .500 cal.) 24 inch barrel, TC Encore I found two nice tame loads.

- 410 CEB Raptor at 2,200 fps.
- 450 CEB Solid at 2,100 fps.

That is 250 fps faster than my previous load and rifle that I killed cape buffalo with, drt, at 40 yds. As I said before I like to get within 50 yds for the shot as I am not as accurate as I used to be.