THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    MECHANICAL design features or "toughness" of various scopes?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MECHANICAL design features or "toughness" of various scopes? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've read various low about the durablity ( "toughness" ?) of the Leupold 2.5x compact scope.

My question is, "Is there something in the design that makes the Leupold 2.5x compact "tougher" or "more durable" than other rifle scopes?

I am focusing on MECHANICAL DESIGN ISSUES, and the scope's ability to work properly and HOLD ZERO.

Objective feedback requested.

--------------------------------------------------------
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Posts: 624 | Location: Maine, ayuh | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I think it will just come down to simplicity and fewer moving parts vs. a variable. But as to fixed vs. fixed not sure as you'd have to know how they are mechanically different to be able to determine whether one design is superior.

I dig my 2.5x as well...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its toughness comes from Leupold moving the adjustments back to the middle of the scoope right under the caps, as I understand it..

That said, there is no doubt what so ever in my mind the 2.5X compact is much stronger or tougher than any scope on the market including my beloved Leupold 3Xs, based on my experience with a 7.5 lb. 505 Gibbs IMp. no other scope could take the licking it put out, I filled a shoe box full of broken scopes with that gun and sent my 3x back 3 times and finally Leupold sent me the 2.5X compact and said you won't trash this one, so we swaped with you..thanks Leupold..I still have that scope and its kept on ticking with all manor of big bores.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, thanks for the great information and sharing your experience on the Leupold fixed 2.5, especially on a 7.5 lb. 505! I own a 505 Gibbs and I fully understand it's recoil, but mine is a 9.5 lb. rifle. I shoot 600 gr. Woodleighs at 2,150fps out of it. I have chosen that very scope for my 404 Jeffery and am experimenting with it now. Never used scopes on 40+ rifles hunting before, but I'm open to learning. We'll see.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have Leupold scopes on rifles up to the 475 A & M Magnum.

Never had a problem.

I don’t like the current idea with European scopes which have a number of silly adjustments!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most modern scopes of known brands will handle any rifle you can put one on. Even the cheap scopes of today will outperform what we thought were great quality ones in the 60s.
Actually, the most severe test of a scope is not recoil; it is counterrecoil. Like from a spring air rifle.
So, get the power you want; don't think you have to stick to a fixed low power. Come over and I'll let you shoot them all.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
Ray, thanks for the great information and sharing your experience on the Leupold fixed 2.5, especially on a 7.5 lb. 505! I own a 505 Gibbs and I fully understand it's recoil, but mine is a 9.5 lb. rifle. I shoot 600 gr. Woodleighs at 2,150fps out of it. I have chosen that very scope for my 404 Jeffery and am experimenting with it now. Never used scopes on 40+ rifles hunting before, but I'm open to learning. We'll see.

Speaking of 404's I have had a 2X20 EER Leupold pistol scope mounted on my Oberndorf Type A Sporter for four decades now and it has never moved. Not sure what the difference is between a standard fixed power and a pistol scope but they were/are advertised as rugged enough to stand the heavy recoil generated by the big magnum handguns. It has certainly stood the test of time for me.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Lyman All American 2 1/2X has been on my .458 WM Krieghoff Teck O/U double rifle since 1971. It once doubled on me. The recoil knocked me back two paces, tangled up my feet and caused me to sit down abruptly. The recoil calculated thusly:

Bullet Weight: 1000 (gr)
Bullet Velocity: 2150 (fps)
Powder Charge Weight: 74 (gr)
Firearm Weight: 11.00 (lbs)
Recoil Impulse 11.19 (lbs.sec)
Recoil Velocity 32.73 (fps)
Recoil Energy 183.1 (ft.lbf)

The scope showed no ill effects, has afterward been to Africa three times, and has accounted for one elephant and two Cape buffalo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All great responses and testimonials from the above posters. I'm not the OP, but I appreciate the info regardless! beer

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Simplicity is the essence of perfection

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even variable power by Leupold have held up well for me. Others not so much. Usually the first failure is dust on the inside of the eye piece. Some of its been sparkly! So, coating of the mechanics or chipped glass? One fixed power was so thick you could not see through it in the bright sun light! Still functioned properly.

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 2.5 Leupold is very light weight. it only make sense that recoil would not effect it as much as a heavier scope. There is a big trade of for me anyway in its poor low light performance and FOV compared to a low power variables.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of good advise and a lot of guess and by gosh on this thread..One does have to live with the decision if he trods off to Africa or Alaska and pits his gun or scope on DG, then gets the cha cha on his body by an elephant or buffalo...Pick your scope carefully, keep it simple, and test it before you go not when you get back, if you get back.. tu2

Always back up that scope with irons of one kind or another!! always!!

The 2.5 Leupold is a wise choice as is the receiver sight since ranges are close, with both you have covered all bases..and the nearest gunsmith is a 1000 miles away...

Recoil becomes a menace with the 458 Lott and up, most Leupolds and perhaps some other scopes? will handle the 404, 416 class of cartridges..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote