Tools

From 300 RUM to 404 J Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted
Question.
I have older Winchester model 70 in 300 RUM
and wanna turn it into 404J
Is it doable in home settings or just give it to gunsmith?
Where is good place to find barrel?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not got the case measurements with me at the moment but the 404J is the father of the RUM cases so it should not be too hard, I would think.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yes, its doable --

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Yes, but is it doable in "home settings"?

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Howdy Postoak -- i am just over in conroe

this is the preferred donor caliber (rum to 404) as it requires the least gunsmithing, in theory .. have seen some of these go way off the rails... but, yeah, its pretty much the prefered way to go...

"home settings" - i amssume to mean a gunsmith and a rented reamer? just make certain the reamer and dies are off the same print

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not a 416 RUM (Ultracat)?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
Yes, but is it doable in "home settings"?

I will let you know. I have a 300 RUM coming in this weekend precisely for the same conversion, which I will be doing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send it to Dennis Olson in Plains Montana. He's very reasonable, and it will be done right. I couldn't be any happier with the same conversion he did for me. PM me with any questions.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tygersman:
Send it to Dennis Olson in Plains Montana. He's very reasonable, and it will be done right. I couldn't be any happier with the same conversion he did for me. PM me with any questions.

+1 on Dennis Olsen

tu2

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Howdy Postoak -- i am just over in conroe

this is the preferred donor caliber (rum to 404) as it requires the least gunsmithing, in theory .. have seen some of these go way off the rails... but, yeah, its pretty much the prefered way to go...

"home settings" - i amssume to mean a gunsmith and a rented reamer? just make certain the reamer and dies are off the same print

Hello Jeffeosso - do you shoot at the Gun Emporium?

By "home settings" I assumed he meant was it something a DIYer could do.

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Yep, DIY, pretty much.
Love to do home projects when off work and that is why I ask these questions, so maybe some of you guys know more about that then I.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
"maybe" an at home diy .. it can be done... a lathe helps .. the rum is very close to the 404 in length and base diameter .. i would NEVER suggest this for a new guy .. i've seen ALOT of 404 projects become money pits.. even with a gunsmith - screwing in a 416 rem barrel makes tons more sense.. load it down to 404, and be happy?

i just dont get the 404 - odd bullets, spendy brass that most folks just resize rum cases for, at least 2 headspace prints, and then die to reamer issues -- just no.. not for me..

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They should have made a 458 RUM. It would be the perfect big bore IMO with factory support. I know the LOTT has factory support but I like the beltless case better and it would run at lower pressures.

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Jeffe ; I share your sentiment. Not saying the 404 isn't a great round. But the 416 Remington is just so much more sensible.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid-:
They should have made a 458 RUM. It would be the perfect big bore IMO with factory support. I know the LOTT has factory support but I like the beltless case better and it would run at lower pressures.

Funny enough .. they SHOULD have made a standard length 458 rum ... click on "458 AR" in the ammoguide section of my signature below

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
416 RUM sounds interesting! Forgive my ignorance, how tough would that be? Been done much? New barrel, necked up brass??...

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you start with a 300 or 375 RUM action. It would be an easy neck up from 375 RUM and it shouldn't need much action work. It you could locate a Model 70 300 RUM it would make a sweet boomer. But!!!!! A factory Ruger or CZ 416 Rigby will get you there ballistically with a lot less work.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muttly:
416 RUM sounds interesting! Forgive my ignorance, how tough would that be? Been done much? New barrel, necked up brass??...

the full length one is called an ultracat, and only requires a 416 properly chambered barrel and dies http://www.z-hat.com/Ultracat.htm ..

the 3.35 length is the 416 Accrel -- which is easy to do, but the 416 ruger is FAR easier than both..

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boarkiller,

As simple as necking 375 RUM or 404 J brass up. I have used both, but the RUM brass is cheaper and easier to locate.

My other winter project was a 450/375 RUM (aka the old 460 G&A) on a very old (20,xxx) Model 70 that James Kobe did the metal work on for me. 375 RUM new brass was a simple neck up using the 450/375 FL die.

I expect it will about duplicate the 458 Lott. I have the reamers if you are interested...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should beat the Lott by 150 fps or so hey?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be done. I did it a few years ago on a Model 700 Remington action and it turned out fine. In fact, it's a good shooting rifle and I plan to take it to Zim next year for Cape buff. I posted on the conversion sometime back on this forum.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did it a few years ago on a 700 Remington action and it turned out fine. In fact, it's a good shooting rifle and I plan to take it to Zim next year for Cape buff.

stir The Controlled Round Feed crowd just won't approve of this stir rotflmo

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muttly:

If you're interested, PM me, and I'll put you in touch with a fantastic benchrest-rifle gunsmith who already has the reamer and will rebarrel your rifle at a very reasonable cost.

I'm very happy with my 416 RUM with change-out barrel to 338 RUM.

The 416 RUM will produce in excess of 6000 ft# of energy and shoot the 350 TTSX at over 2800 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What barrel length do u have on that rifle . Sure u didn't have a typo there ?