THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Rifle sight vs pistol sight

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle sight vs pistol sight Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello. Have any or you ever tried to use a pistol style sight system on your rifle over an express style? At age 65 I can loose the front bead in the v of the express sight yet with my pistols I can still see the front blade and the tops of both the post and rear sight to center things. Thoughts?

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The answer is Yes I have and Yes I do. I use a big square post, sourdough type front sight and the rifles I don't have a BIG peep rear one, I filed a square notch where the V used to be. Light at the rear eye and sharp big square for the front just works. Make sure your cheek weld is consistent and the rear / Front are aligned as they should be, focus on that front sight and sight it where the bullet lands just over the top of that sight picture. Works for me.
The long distance between front and rear is different for your eyes, than your pistol which makes the rear mounted Peep the preferred sight for you I would say.
I use Peep sights that drop onto my Weaver bases and one rifle has an old Lyman slide that I drop the sight into when the G&H side mount scope is removed.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter how big the sights are as long as sight alignment is correct. And sight picture is also important, a bit less so. It is a matter of angles.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a shallow V with a thin post that sights in with a flush (pistol type) hold..The Texas RAngers used such a set up for the most part as its fast an accurate..My granddads was a ranger and all his guns that I have btw are set up that way..I learned to shoot irons with those guns..Ive won many turkeys and hams and shot a lot of deer, Javalina, Aoudad, wild sheep and antelope with them. Give it a try you will be impressed.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I prefer square notch and front post - more accurate for me -- other like other things, too .. it's all good

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It may be more accurate under some circumstances, not surprising, but its not as fast as you have a very thin line of light on a square rear sight has been my reasoning and my testing, plus my sight picture worked much better for me, but that may be because I grew up learning to use them that way..With my sight picture its the same as a receiver sight, the blade automatically goes dead center with the post flush to the wings..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, my brother had about 20/5 vision, meaning like an eagle at any distance, and I had glasses correcting near sighted to 20/15 which I was happy with by the way. He always pulled the bead or post down into the V or notch until there was only a fractional tip that no one else could see. He was deadly with pistol or iron sighted rifles and was the reason I learned that speed can overcome being second place in locating, sighting and squeezing one off. I had to or never get a shot at anything as we hunted all manner of critters together for all our growing up years. About the time he hit 30 or so, the welding had done it's work and his vision was that of a normal human. So with Pistol and iron sighted rifle we we were now about even but I was still Faster!! Life is Fair but sometimes it just takes a while to even out. He was and still is better with a Scoped rifle... Where we grew up Thanksgiving meant turkey shoots and we always brought home a full portion.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
My Heym express sights are like that, Fury01, requiring such a fine bead I can hardly see it and, when fast shooting needed, that often gets forgotten, so the shot goes over the critter's back. IMHO a wide V with flats each side that can be used to align the bead's top is much better.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My problem with a fine bead is light/shadow effecting POI depending on location of the sun, or just light changes during the day..by taking the bead to the top of the V, that's eliminated,and oh so much faster, it works as well as a receiver sight for me, its the same theory..but the bottom line is what works for those that shoot iron sights with any regularity..

I also can shoot better off hand groups or running shots at 100 to 150 yards with a 2 or 3X scope over a 6 to 10X, the larger the power the harder off hand shooting and game shooting at those ranges becomes with me..again just speaking for myself..but Ive won a ton of turkeys shooting off hand at 100 yards against shooters with powerful scopes..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Partridge (pistol) type metallic sights are good for target shooting. Very good. But for game shooting the ghost ring with front bead is far superior.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A true ghost ring is hard to beat, the pistol sights on rifle just cover up too much animal IMO,

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120