THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Powder coated bullets in large bore rifle

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder coated bullets in large bore rifle Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
I'm being to do the work up for a 375 Whelen out of a browning model 95. I'm buying the powder coated bullets for now, is it works out I'll make my own. My first 375 whelen is mark X that's never had a jacketed bullet down the bore. When the w0rk up for the Mark X there was zero data so I started out with 35 Whelen data. I'm using IMR 4895, Winchester LR primers with several powder coated cat bullets 250 grain. These bullets are set up for 38-55 with two different diameters. Any insights sure would be appreciated.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Hawk-Scoville version on a MK X. I have used mostly 260 grn Partions with a few 250's. I really need to try some powder coated bullets too, just havnt got around to it yet.
Mine likes 4895 and Varget about the same.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I'm off to the range this morning for testing some factory made 250 powder coated bullets by Missouri, sized .378. I started low for checking the front sight and accuray. Right now I don't care where the bullets hit on the target I just want a tight group.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried them and they are neither fish nor fowl IMO, they are OK, and work on lead bullets I guess. I have a bunch of them, Acme,s in 45 cal for the 45-70, and they recommended lead bullet loads..

Powder coating cup and core etc bullets didn't change a thing that I could tell, but make a mess by handling them with some bullets. Didn't seem worth the effort to me especially for a hunting bullet..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I tried them and they are neither fish nor fowl IMO, they are OK, and work on lead bullets I guess. I have a bunch of them, Acme,s in 45 cal for the 45-70, and they recommended lead bullet loads..

Powder coating cup and core etc bullets didn't change a thing that I could tell, but make a mess by handling them with some bullets. Didn't seem worth the effort to me especially for a hunting bullet..

I can't see where anything would be accomplished with powder coating a cup and core bullet. I'm experimenting with hard cast bullets that i can buy. if these bullets work well I use them if not I'll go back to casting my own and go back to using LBT Blue.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you try the Acme hard cast, its a red bullet, and they do shoot well, and don't cost an arm and a leg, a wood box of 500 was about the same as 50 Noslers as I recall..I have a box if I canfind them I will send them to you, what caliber are you intending on using them?

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
quote:
I tried them and they are neither fish nor fowl IMO, they are OK, and work on lead bullets I guess. I have a bunch of them, Acme,s in 45 cal for the 45-70, I think, and they recommended lead bullet loads..They are coated but not powder coated I don't think, but do the same Im told

I can't see where anything would be accomplished with powder coating a cup and core bullet. I'm experimenting with hard cast bullets that i can buy. if these bullets work well I use them if not I'll go back to casting my own and go back to using LBT Blue.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suggest you try the Acme hard cast, its a red bullet, and they do shoot well, and don't cost an arm and a leg, a wood box of 500 was about the same as 50 Noslers as I recall..I have a box if I canfind them I will send them to you, what caliber are you intending on using them?

I worked with the lip stick bullets for my Python, very successfully and for a 1911 and the S&W 25 45 auto rim which did well. The range officer came over to find out what sort of colorful ammo I was using.
Please let me know if you find them and we'll work out a deal. Thank you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
powder coating adds zero to jacketed bullets
where it shines is with cast lead boolits
I have been making and coating boolits for a long time
the advantages are alloy composition isn't as critical as with conventional cast boolits
you can a times get away with using a softer alloy that aids in expansion of the boolit
no leading in the bore and you don't need to use the goo lube that you do with normal cast
I cast and coat for 30,35,44,45,and 510 cal and have dropped traditional lube

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Coincidental you should ask this question. Just this week, I tested loads for my 444 Marlin and a 240gr. SNS coated hardcast bullet using H4895. The idea here was to create a "powder puff" load for the normally heady Marlin that would function for target practice and light hunting. I've shot hundreds of them out of my 44 mags, and had the stock on hand, so it seemed like a fine idea.

Indeed it was! With a reduced load of H4895, I got them going about 1500fps and had a three shot group at 100y with all shots touching. Recoil was that of a 223 or similar, and the noise wasn't bad, either. The best part about the coating SNS uses (it's not exactly powder coat) is there's no need to clean between cast and jacketed - or at least not one I've seen. Not sure about pushing them too fast, but for my purposes they worked out great.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I bought one of Lyman's less then perfect250 rain double cavity molds cheap at a gun show With my first casting session I found out why it was cheap. One cavity through .462 and the other .461, not conducive for best accuracy and avoiding leading in a Ruger Black hawk 45 Colt.
I was also playing with a Siamese Mauser converted to 45-70. So a bit of Alox lube 13 grains of Unique with a 2 inch square kleenex tamped down on the powder. I had a fun load, cheap to shoot with little to no recoil and noise.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Arky,
email me your address and I'll send you those ACme bullets, no charge I have no 45-70 as of recently..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120