New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snows of Kilimanjaro
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I read the short story and watched the film.

I submit the story and film parallels the end or final act of Hemmingway’s life that I mark with the second Safari.

Hemmingway was enraged with the film. He accused the studio head of stealing his life story for the price of a short story.

Posts: 10828 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Hooray for Hollywood. Typical behavior. Have you read yet, "Under Kilimanjaro"? Basically an unabridged copy of "True At 1st Light". Understandably, everyone from Scribners to movie moguls wanted a piece of the action on this cash cow. I'm not condoning their behavior but just like Dickens, he was paid by the word. One never stands in a bread line when he has talent.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have not watched that in many years. I think I have a copy of it somewhere.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a copy Under Kilimanjaro. I like it and don’t at the same time. The sub theme with the little girl is off.

Posts: 10828 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I bought it out of the honest truth of reading it (+ a bit of loyalty besides) but I will admit that his writing was not up to his previous form. As most know he had the shock treatment + afterwards was asked to write JFK's inaugural speech, but he sat for 2 weeks in front of the typewriter + was unable to write a word. Not being unfeeling or crass, but a MAN who lived his life by the word + personal accomplishments, well the end results are not that hard to fathom. We had/have the loss f a great writer, but we had that when they shocked his brain. Mores the pity!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I felt the girl narrative was more paternalistic that just does not get over.

Some of the conversations are wonderful.