The Accurate Reloading Forums
Snows of Kilimanjaro

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4521043/m/9991031362

04 December 2020, 07:29
LHeym500
Snows of Kilimanjaro
I read the short story and watched the film.

I submit the story and film parallels the end or final act of Hemmingway’s life that I mark with the second Safari.

Hemmingway was enraged with the film. He accused the studio head of stealing his life story for the price of a short story.
18 December 2020, 09:47
NormanConquest
Hooray for Hollywood. Typical behavior. Have you read yet, "Under Kilimanjaro"? Basically an unabridged copy of "True At 1st Light". Understandably, everyone from Scribners to movie moguls wanted a piece of the action on this cash cow. I'm not condoning their behavior but just like Dickens, he was paid by the word. One never stands in a bread line when he has talent.

Never mistake motion for action.
22 December 2020, 00:44
Big Wonderful Wyoming
I have not watched that in many years. I think I have a copy of it somewhere.
22 December 2020, 05:35
LHeym500
I have a copy Under Kilimanjaro. I like it and don’t at the same time. The sub theme with the little girl is off.
22 December 2020, 09:26
NormanConquest
I bought it out of the honest truth of reading it (+ a bit of loyalty besides) but I will admit that his writing was not up to his previous form. As most know he had the shock treatment + afterwards was asked to write JFK's inaugural speech, but he sat for 2 weeks in front of the typewriter + was unable to write a word. Not being unfeeling or crass, but a MAN who lived his life by the word + personal accomplishments, well the end results are not that hard to fathom. We had/have the loss f a great writer, but we had that when they shocked his brain. Mores the pity!

Never mistake motion for action.
22 December 2020, 10:04
LHeym500
I felt the girl narrative was more paternalistic that just does not get over.

Some of the conversations are wonderful.