Find
Notify
Tools

Kai-Uwe Denker
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted
New book out “About the Spirit of the African Wilderness”. Like his first book it is packed with superb photos. Just received and one chapter in, I’m lovin it. Highly recommend his first book. They are pricey but this new one is over 600 pages.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loved his first book. One of the best from recent times IMHO.
Is this new one available in the States ?

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
It is. Originally published in German I believe. I purchased an English copy from Trophy Room Books last week and received Monday. $160 I think. They can be reached online and I have also spoke with them on the phone. Wonderful people and a joy to do business with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just in Namibia and picked up a copy while there for 1000 Namibian dollars which is about $70 US. I am about 1/3 of my way through it and it is excellent and quite provocative. His observations about hunting and judging elephants flies in the face of most conventional wisdom. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in hunting elephants.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1846 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
The judging mature bulls by tracks and other features is very interesting in the book. And most of those bulls are ancient.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No second hand BS in this book. One gets the impression that the author's opinions are formed solely by his own experiences. Very interesting read.

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of my Library of well over 300 Hunting Books Kai Uwe Denker is on Top of my Favorites. I have all his 5 Books and all are GREAT.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
This is a book I really want to get. Have heard it’s fairly amazing.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trophy Room Books

He was at Jagd and Hund all three years I was there.

Not sure if it is just me, or what but he has a hard person to like. They were selling books and hunts for his ranch.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
Out of my Library of well over 300 Hunting Books Kai Uwe Denker is on Top of my Favorites. I have all his 5 Books and all are GREAT.

I’m only aware of his immediately previous book.
Would you be so kind as to list all his titles and their publish dates please. I’m somewhat of a Luddite at times but can’t find any on line reference to these titles. Thanks.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:

I’m only aware of his immediately previous book.
Would you be so kind as to list all his titles and their publish dates please. I’m somewhat of a Luddite at times but can’t find any on line reference to these titles. Thanks.

Unfortunately most of his Books are in German

1. Jagen in Namibia 1994
2. Entlang des Jägers Pfad 2000
3. Vom Wesen der Afrikanischen Wildnis 2012
4. Aus Großer Höhe 2014 His Personal Hunts for Marco Polo and Ibex without a Scoped Rifle
5. Erongo Verzeichnis für Afrikanisches Jagdwild 2019 Multiply Authors

Along the Hunters Path and About the Spirit of the African Wilderness are the English Editions from Books Number 2 and 3.
Both Books are available at Trophy Room Books

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somes descriptens of Denkers Books. The newest is not Listed www.kaiuwe-hagen.com/site/kai-...g/kudenkerbooks.html

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
I didn’t think anything could ‘bump’ Ron Thompson’s books, BUT Denkers just did...for me anyway. I how now purchased both his offerings written in English. Between Denker and Thompson, their is a lot of good reading. And, I like that it is relatively contemporary! Not the 1920’s.

Posts: 501 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcolyer:
I didn’t think anything could ‘bump’ Ron Thompson’s books, BUT Denkers just did...for me anyway. I how now purchased both his offerings written in English. Between Denker and Thompson, their is a lot of good reading. And, I like that it is relatively contemporary! Not the 1920’s.

Could not agree with you more. I would throw Richard Harland in the mix too. Denker’s latest book is particularly interesting since it challenges some of the conventional wisdom on things like determining a good elephant track to follow. I still think Thomson’s books are better probably because they were written in English and are not translations.

Mike

Posts: 21092 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Denker's book "Along the Hunter's Path" ranks among the top African hunting books of all time. It's one of a handful of books that I can return to over and over and invariably glean something new. His book "About the Spirit of the African Elephant" also is very good, but I wish that the translator had edited the sentence structure into more idiomatic English. It tends toward germanic compound sentence structure. In my opinion, the only modern African hunting book comparable to "Along the Hunter's Path" is Nyschens "Months of the Sun."

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote