New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truman Fowler
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask, so if a moderator needs to move it, please do.
After the discussion on Elmer Keith's book SAFARI in the books section of this forum, I got to wondering about Truman Fowler. I have never seen much information about him. Was he a licensed PH or just a friend of EK? I heard that the reason that the book is no longer availble or won't be reprinted is due to TF's heirs not allowing it to be. Again, just curiosity as he had some fine guns. I especially liked his Lancaster 577!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TF ran Safari Press for many years. He and Elmer Keith became friends, and he was sort-of a buffer between he and jock'o. Either that, or he set up the rules of engagement for them. An occasional copy does show up, be prepared to spend some serious $$$. I think he was a source for many of the double rifles Mr Keith owned. PM 465 H&H here, he lived in Salmon for some time and knew him very well. I think he owns some of Mr Keith's doubles now.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You'll all find Elmer Keith's books, including 'Safari' here:

http://www.shakariconnection.c...frica-authors-k.html

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Rich:

Are you certain it wasn't another publishing house? To my knowledge, Safari Press has been owned and operated since its inception in the 1980s by Ludo Wurfbain.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

you are correct, Fowler was the head of Safari Publications, La Jolla, California.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote