New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kambaku!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is one of my favorite books. The hunting memoir reads with the great theme of tragic love lost.

A boy heads into the wilds for adventure and fortune. What he finds in life is love. He has it torn from him out by pure chance. Our boy now a man returns to the great game fields still in search of paradise of Shanghai-La.

This book would have made a wonderful film bf Hollywood doubles down on stupid.

This is to celebrate my new US made 375 Holland and Holland Winchester.

Tonight, I will watch Ghost and the Darkness. I start reading tomorrow.

Mine is a Fredrick Muller Limited 1981 edition.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite books too.

Books by hunters can sometimes be a little dry reading more like daily notes taken in the field. But Kambaku is like a great novel that just keeps growing in intensity. I agree it does contain great tragedy along with it.

It absolutely would make a great movie if done by someone who respected it. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Manners sets up the theme of loss and his own search a resurrectio, a resurrection of self more than physical obviously, sought so well in the first chapter.

Posts: 10547 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Great book. And what a name! Harry Manners? Apropos for man and beast.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your WW purchase. I wish I had known you were in the market for a 375 H+H. I'm planning on selling one-of mine that is a custom-built on a P-17 action, bbl. band, recoil lug, ebony end cap steel grip cap, pad,3 leaf express sights, topped w/ a Leupold VX 3. Sweet rifle. I will be posting pics soon on the classified guns forum.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As soon as I bought it all these wonderful 375s started popping up. I wish o could buy them all.

One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Man Magnum has been running a series on Harry Manners, and his ivory and it makes interesting reading. The Author, Gregor Woods met with Harry and ...well...read the stories

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great book. Great rifle, even if it is a bit wimpy calibre. Just joking.

Posts: 9933 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
Great book, one of my favorites .

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, whimpy sir? whimpey? I beg to differ! Big Grin, Truly, I love the 375 H+H cal. but I also love the 7X57 + 6.5x 54 M/S. both of the latter killed many elephants under the hands of an expert called Bell. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't do it as many others have proved when trying to emulate his successes. Those however are still my favorite 3 calibres.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Fourth Chapter will show the 375 HH to not be Whimpy.

He killed two elephants with one shot from the 375 Belted Rimless Magnum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting back to that age-old question, if you could only have one, what it be? I have pondered that for years + have to say that as much as I like + respect other calibres I would have to go with the 375 H+H. It does give the most versatility.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Counting my 375 Rugers, I have 4, 375 rifles. I would have to say as a 375 and a 3 inch 12 gauge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amigo, you're as bad as a gun whore as me! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just reached Chapter 10! This is the Chapter after the wedding dance where Manners stays in Gustav Guex Marromeu camp hunting in the delta swamp!

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Re read the book again, that led to re read of Capsticks Wally Johnson. Good stuff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chspter 3 Gabon viper bites Wally makes me gut, bust, strangle for air laugh. Capstick always made me life genuinely with some of his descriptions not bc I thought they were ridiculous. I just found the humor in it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know as how I'd want to read it again as I was pretty pissed off how Wally's silver hidden in the butter + his firearms cache being discovered by the "new regime". Still makes me sick.

One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Reading the 3rd article by Gregor Woods in the July issue of Man Magnum, on the topic of Mr Harry Manners, it seems that Harry was inspired by his client's writing, namely Mr. Rob Ruark, to intersperse a bit of fiction into his story....to Hollywood it....Naughty Harry. His story was good enough!

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!! Based on the above post I purchased the 3 issues of Man Magnum digitally and just read. FANTASTIC to say the least. Great photos never seen, great backstory, great articles. If anything Harry Manners is more interesting. Highly recommend reading these articles and can’t get wait for Mr. Woods’ book to come to light.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you give us examples or scope of the art’s license Manners is to have taken.

I am not challenging the report. Usually, one can see through the make it truer than it was. However, I cannot see it in Manners’ writing which speaks to his talent.

I simply want to know where Manners put the hot sauce on.

Also, when did Roark hunt with Manners? Did Roark write about hunting with Manners? I had not heard of that?

I know Jack O Conor’s wife hunted with Manners.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
I’m with you on this. I don’t want my heroes torn down. This really isn’t the case. I urge you to read the articles as Umzingele(?) stated. I don’t want to give anything away but I’ll give you a snippet. Harry was married. It took all of 7 minutes maybe to acquire the articles and less than $10. You won’t be disappointed.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
$6.48 to be exact

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is in the May 15 issue correct?

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading Kambaku! - very enjoyable to read. I was curious about the discrepancy between the text and what Brian Marsh mentions in the foreword about Harry being married and used by British intelligence. A little Googling turned up the 3rd article in the Man Magnum series by Gregor Woods. If you've read Kambaku!, you'll probably be interested in the article, "Manners Tusks Mystery - Part 3, The missing person in the plot":

https://www.pressreader.com/so...0701/281569472951341

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Found 4 interresting clips of Harry Manners on YouTube, obviously he was more than middle aged,but very sprightly and agile. Here is a link to the first clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksGMmqknMG8

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
“Here is Harry Manners. He greatly dislikes clients who come with tape measures and Rowland WArd record books.”

I’ve heard that more than once about many PHs