Find
Notify
Tools

The Last Of The Mountain Men
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted
Anyone on here ever read this book? It's written by Harold Peterson....looks interesting...just want some opinions.

Thanks

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have not read that one, but I can recommend "On the Edge of Nowhere" It's non-fiction Alaskan trapline stories from the life of Jim Huntington. Excellent for those that respect the fur trapper, etc.

Here's a link to the book: On the Edge of Nowhere

I have long known about constitutional liars, but narcissism is somewhat different. This man is, shall we say it, nuts, and apparently the electorate does not mind. Such a way we have come in 200 years! -Jeff Cooper

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JB, I just ordered it as well as the following:

More readings from One Man's Wilderness: The Journals of Richard L. Proenneke (I've read this online 3 times now, and simply had to have the book for my tiny, but growing collection)

Shadow on the Koyukuk: An Alaskan Native's Life (Sidny Huntington, the brother of James Huntington)

Two in the Far North by Margaret E. Murie (a novel that Richard Proenneke read often and enjoyed, figured I'd give it a try)

Alaska's Wolf Man: The 1915-55 Wilderness Adventures of Frank Glaser by Jim Rearden

These should keep me busy over the winter when I'm not out blasting coyotes!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"My 60 Years on the Plains Trapping, Trading & Indian Fighting" W.T. Hamilton, University of Oklahoma Press. Fascinating autobiography.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
"My 60 Years on the Plains Trapping, Trading & Indian Fighting" W.T. Hamilton, University of Oklahama Press. Fascinating autobiography.

If you like that genre look for Brules, by Harry Combs...one of the best I have read.

"This is an epic tale of one man's search for justice in the Old West. It tells the story of Cat Brules, cowboy and legend, who fought his own private war against the Comanche nation and rode hell-bent toward a tragedy that would either make him an outlaw or a hero."

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"My 60 Years on the Plains Trapping, Trading & Indian Fighting" W.T. Hamilton, University of Oklahoma Press. Fascinating autobiography.

Found this online as an ebook, started it today and am half done....an interesting read, thanks for the suggestion!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
quote:
"My 60 Years on the Plains Trapping, Trading & Indian Fighting" W.T. Hamilton, University of Oklahama Press. Fascinating autobiography.

If you like that genre look for Brules, by Harry Combs...one of the best I have read.

"This is an epic tale of one man's search for justice in the Old West. It tells the story of Cat Brules, cowboy and legend, who fought his own private war against the Comanche nation and rode hell-bent toward a tragedy that would either make him an outlaw or a hero."

I certainly will, thanks for the suggestion!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
are you talking about the geezer who lived up on the Salmon River in Idaho? A lot of people figured he was a white Fred Sanford. Quite an interesting fellow.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
BD,

I'm glad you ordered the Huntingtion book. You will not be disappointed. Thanks for providing the list of the others. I plan to get the Glaser book. Maybe a good Christman present to myself.

JB in NC coffee

I have long known about constitutional liars, but narcissism is somewhat different. This man is, shall we say it, nuts, and apparently the electorate does not mind. Such a way we have come in 200 years! -Jeff Cooper

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
are you talking about the geezer who lived up on the Salmon River in Idaho? A lot of people figured he was a white Fred Sanford. Quite an interesting fellow.

Rich

Yep, Sylvan Hart...quite an interesting fellow. I found it very interesting that he used to make so many of the utensils that he needed to survive, even his own flintlocks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluesman:
BD,

I'm glad you ordered the Huntingtion book. You will not be disappointed. Thanks for providing the list of the others. I plan to get the Glaser book. Maybe a good Christman present to myself.

JB in NC coffee

No problem JB, found that while I was ordering the others as a suggestion on Amazon, read some of the reviews and figured what the heck!

BD in MB wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, that is what he wrote...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
The best of the books I've seen covering the era of mountain men and their fur trade was the non-fiction "Across The Wide Missouri" by Bernard DeVoto. It's been around a long time, but Amazon.com or Abe.books might have some copies.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
BQ...try to find a copy of Brules by Combs....I think you would like it.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If it'll help, you can search for new and used copies of any book from sellers worldwide here:

http://www.abebooks.com/?cm_ve...gan&pfxid=a_99040806

Brules by Combs for US$1 here: http://www.abebooks.com/servle...&tn=Brules&x=59&y=15

Across the wide missouri by De Voto for US$3.63 here: http://www.abebooks.com/servle...e+missouri&x=51&y=14

The last of the mountain men for US$1 here: http://www.abebooks.com/servle...mountain+men&x=0&y=0

On the edge of nowhere for US$1 here: http://www.abebooks.com/servle...e+of+nowhere&x=0&y=0

Shadow on the Koyukuk: An Alaskan Native's Life for US$8.34 here: http://www.abebooks.com/servle...e%27s+Life&x=31&y=14

Two in the Far North by Margaret E. Murie (first edition) for US@125 here: http://www.abebooks.com/servle...t+E.+Murie&x=54&y=10

Alaska's Wolf Man for US$17. 95 here: http://www.abebooks.com/servle...7s+Wolf+Man&x=75&y=9

The reason I've just done that lot is that I'm suffering from writers block and am bored shitless! Confused

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Good on ya. Thanks for the effort. clap

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Poems/books by Robert Service (one of my favourite poets) of similar era might also be of interest and can be found at similar prices here: http://www.abebooks.com/servle...ervice&sts=t&x=0&y=0

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Robert Service rates with Rudyard Kipling. I have my grandfather's Service books, many first editions.

And let's not forget The Journals of Lewis & Clark or Kit Carson's Autobiography.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yup, as you say, Service ranks right up there with Kipling and if you like Service and Kipling, you'll also enjoy Brian Brooke who died in WWI. Brooke's work is extremely hard to buy and having just done a search, there isn't a single copy currently listed I'm afraid....... but in compensation, here's one of his poems:

The New Year
By Brian Brooke

The sun is sinking in the west, like one great brazen orb of light,
Till poised upon the mountain crest, it seems to halt before its flight;
Of all God’s gifts, by far the best, of all his blessings, far most blest,
Then swiftly sinks before our sight; the day is dead, God bless the night!

So dies the year, and who would hold it back if even power he had?
The New Year comes, farewell the old! Why stand and mourn in accents sad?
Some plunge ahead with spirits bold, and some may stand with conscience cold;
But each and all his share may add, there’s none too good and none too bad.

Some sit alone this New Year’s eve, and some within a crowded place;
To some the old year seems to leave of joy and gladness not a trace.
But joy and sadness interweave, and if you laugh, you fain must grieve;
Death is a thing we all must face, and time is of unaltered pace.

The old man feels the time go fast, he knows his years are growing few;
The cloak of youth from him is cast – ah, if the young man only knew!
But do not think your time is past; your heart is young until the last;
Where’er there’s youth there’s work for you; let each year start your youth anew.

For you, East Africa, I trust this coming year with joys may fill;
May this year ever further thrust you up the steep and stony hill.
Then, to your sons, it is but just success should come; for come it must!
And to officials all goodwill; may improve a little still!

We all have friends in other lands, friends whom we love to call our own;
We may not grasp them by the hands, - but are our wishes thither blown?
The lonely settler silent stands, the night breeze fans the firebrands;
There’s much on earth which is unknown; I fancy he is not alone!
The sun is rising in the East, the morning light is cold and clear;
The lion leaves his midnight feast, the jackal slinks away in fear;
The sky with golden lines is creased; good luck to all, both man and beast;
To all our friends, both far and near, a prosp’rous, happy, bright New Year!

I use that last verse in the Christmas card we send out every year and hope you enjoy that one as much as I do.

Another of my favourites is C Emily Dibb and you can find her work here:

http://www.abebooks.com/servle...y+dibb&sts=t&x=0&y=0

Here's one of her poems:

The Exile
By C. Emily Dibb

I miss the earth of Africa,
The hot dry stones, the sand,
The friendly feel of sun warmed rock,
Beneath my outspread hand.

I miss the smell of Africa,
The fragrance of the grass,
At dewfall in the evening.
In the glades where leopards pass.

I miss the light of Africa,
The glare that hurts the eyes,
The shock of blinding brilliance,
In noonday’s cloud-massed skies.

I miss the sounds of Africa,
The barking of baboon,
And the thunder of the lion’s roar,
That greets the rising moon.

I miss the wind of Africa,
That blows before the rain,
The warm, wet wind of heaven,
I must breathe it once again.

Oh I long to sleep in Africa,
Through a velvet summer night,
And there to dream of days gone by,
Until my soul takes flight.

Then should I wake in Africa,
I’ll hear the bulbul’s song,
And know that I am home at last,
Back home where I belong.

I don't know The Journals of Lewis & Clark or Kit Carson's Autobiography but will do some poking around.... thanks for the tip!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nothing what-so-ever to do with mountain men but an oft-quoted poem that never fails to stir my emotions:

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
No 412 squadron, RCAF
Killed 11 December 1941

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGj6deaINxM

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Nice.... thanks for posting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluesman:
BD,

JB in NC coffee

Hey JB, received my books just after Xmas and have read both the Huntington books, both are great reads! Just started 2 in the far north and it's pretty interesting too. Next on the list to read is the Glaser book!

Have you been on your CDN Coyote hunt yet?

BD