Find
Notify
Tools

Land of the Long Grass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I enjoy historical fiction. You get the benefit of actually learning something coupled with the readability of a novel. Just finished Land of the Long Grass by Marina Maxwell. A story about the settlement of the area north of the Zambezi. One of the key characters in the story is a fellow named Harrison Clark. Clark actually became a tribal chief and was known as Changa Changa. Wish there was more written about Clark. Apparently he recorded some memoirs before he died but they were lost. Very enjoyable and interesting book, easy read.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrison_Clark

Mike

Posts: 21171 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, that is quite a story! Will look up the book. Thanks for posting.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
So will I

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Along the same lines I still recommend Bartle Bull's trilogy "The white rhino hotel,Cafe on the Nile, + The devil's oasis."May need to look on Amazon though as I have heard they are out of print.Great story though.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
I second the recommendation on Bartle Bull.
Read the trilogy after learning of Bartle Bull on this forum, all three are great reads. He writes in great vocabulary and holds your interest with history and fiction.

Just finished his Shanghai Station last week. More historical fiction , not Africa but the White Russian army relocation to China.

Love this forum.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Are you interested in the Indian Wars of the west? Have you read Terry C. Johnston's books?
I have the full set, but, after 15 or so all basically the same things all the time just different names and locations I got bored and set the rest aside til another time.
Very well researched and written though.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5942 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
George,

Yes, I have read a number of Johnston's books. Anytime someone is writing about a very specific time and place in history I suspect what you are describing is the case . . . probably part a crutch by the writer and part a reflection that the events really did tend to be similar from one incident to the next. I tend to jump back and forth on subjects and that, coupled with my often poor memory, makes it less of an issue for me. I will give Johnston this, he can describe acts of brutality in a narrative way that paints a pretty darn graphic mental picture. Eeker

Mike

Posts: 21171 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
swaincreek,read the sequaele "China Star". Just like James Clavell,when a series ended I felt somewhat cheated because the next novel was not coming BTW,have you "read James Clavell? If not I recommemnd "Tai-Pan" Not the first in the Asian series but the perfect place to start Truly!.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote