Find
Notify
Tools

The Earth is Weeping
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I highly recommend this book by Peter Cozzens. I don't know why I didn't know about it sooner.

https://www.amazon.com/Earth-W...erican/dp/0307958043

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wink.

I just heard about a book called Empire of the Summer Moon that is supposed to be excellent as well. Similar subject. The writer, SC Gwynne wrote one of the best books on Stonewall Jackson I’ve ever read - expect the same from Summer Moon.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Baxter, you will love "Empire of the Summer Moon" a tale of Quanah Parker + the Comanches here in Texas.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Read a lot of books on the west and Indians. Love most, a few not so much. One of the better I’ve read lately is Reshaw, Life and Times of John Baptiste Richard. He was in the middle of it all. Fresh stories and fresh takes on well known events. So many western history books, like all history books, rehash material. This one was great. Also a thumbs up for Summer Moon. I’ll have to give Earth is Weeping a chance. Side note, just finished Baron in Africa by Brian Marsh-excellent.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, Marsh's book is very good.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Thanks Wink.

I just heard about a book called Empire of the Summer Moon that is supposed to be excellent as well. Similar subject. The writer, SC Gwynne wrote one of the best books on Stonewall Jackson I’ve ever read - expect the same from Summer Moon.

Read Empire of Summer Moon about a year ago.This past Monday found a copy of Rebel Yell by same author at local friends of library for $1.25 !

It is now in que.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Rebel Yell is decent, very much written on the side of the Indians.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Rebel Yell is decent, very much written on the side of the Indians.

Indians?

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Are we going PC here?

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
My mistake! I was referring to “Indian Yell” a non fiction book by Michael Blake, author of Dances With Wolves. In fact I have not read “Rebel Yell” by SC Gwynne, author of Summer Moon. Sheeesh, there goes my book review career.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Are we going PC here?

Ha! Hell no...I’m a card carrying member of the Osage tribe - Indian is as close an anything else. We were here before America so Native American is rubbish, and the people who wheee here before us were not Osage’s...so First Peoples is in accurate too... I just tell people Indian, Feathers, not Dots. Seems to work...

You’ll like Rebel Yell if you have an interest at all in Jackson. I’m pretty damn sure ha had asperbergers. His behavior was atypical but interesting as hell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like that. Feathers not dots. Says it all.