Find
Notify
Tools

Catch-22
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
I know we've all read this great book; I've read it 6 times + I always find something there that I missed before as it is so packed from one sentence to the next. My enquiry however was has anyone seen the NEW (2019) movie? The 1970 movie sucked but I'm hoping this one might be better. I saw it advertised in a movie catalog that it was done by Hulu. Stars George Clooney + Hugh Laurie among others. Anyone know anything about it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My experience has been that any NEW movie made as a copy of an old one never turns out good.

They have a tendency to over dramatize everything, and the have to have a black guy and a woman in there too.

Stupid really, not to stick to the old script.

One of my favorite old movies was the FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX, with JAMES STEWART.

They made a new one which was utterly stupid.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you on that Saeed; the original Flight Of The Pheonix was a great movie + Stewart a superb actor (as always). Also, I have found oner the years that watching ANY movie after reading the book will piss you off. Whether in a movie theater or at home my comments are not appreciated, i.e. They never said that That's not right, etc. The only exception I can find is David Lean's "Lawrence Of Arabia" that followed so closely to Lawrence's book "The 7 Pillars Of Wisdom."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Catch-22........

As a youngster I wasn’t much of a reader. Of books anyway. Magazine articles. And the books they had you read for school......well......and undiagnosed ADD.

Discussing the shadow of an oak tree didn’t make sense.

Spent a lot of time in detention.

Anyway. There was this older teacher. Maybe late 60’s and she’d watch me plow thru my 8th grade book.
BORED!!!!! She walks over to her locker and takes out Catch-22...”Here. Read this. Don’t show it around.

Wow!!! Smart Ol Lady. Read like crazy after that!!!!! Went back after I graduated and thanked her.
“You looked awfully Bored”.

When my daughter wasn’t reading in 4th grade I had to go into a teacher conference......not reading to grade level.....WHAT???? The kid is a great reader!!!

Looked at the book....classics illustrated......

Told the teacher she Read The Hobbit a year ago. The kid is bored.
ADD like her father.
But a READER. Could spell lots of dinosaurs names in second grade.

Anyway. Books are treasures. And the Book is always better than the movie.

Except Forrest Gump. The book sucks.

Just found this forum.

Posts: 435 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome, + you're right, one should watch the movie 1st or you will be pissed if you watch it after you have read the book. Hollywood always knows better, right? One of the things I liked about Catch-22 was that all of the times I read it, every time I would find a new page that I swear I had not read before. Heller put so much in it that one could not absorb it all in one sitting. I think we all have at least one teacher in our past who made a difference; Mine was Mrs. Hazelwood who taught me how to do mental multiplication tables instantaneously in my head. That has served me well all my life. God bless them all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great teachers......every kid needs at least one.
Ma Burton taught the motor heads and kids that needed one math class to graduate.
She wondered what I was doing in her class.
I screw up a lot on arithmetic.
I helped and didn’t have to do assignments.....but learned a LOT.
Guys weren’t interested .....but she started out with gear ratios .......on to how to figure bore and stroke one compression.
Remember....these guys hadn’t had any math since 6th grade and needed one math class to graduate.
End of the year she had them doing probability.......cards and shooting crap....
Lady was a gem.
She Drove a 912 Porsche. 911 with a 4 banger.

Leaving school one day she is waiting behind a school bus and looks in the rear view and sees another bus getting real big.
She lets out the clutch and scrapes her hood under the front bus and the other buss just taps her rear.

Cop asks”why you do that??!!!??”

She points to the hood and says “Body shop”

Points to the rear of the car and asks “you know anybody in town good at working on a broken Porsche engine?”

A true gem.

Posts: 435 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote