Find
Notify
Tools

Hemingway's GUNS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted
Just picked this up from Amazon. Quickly turned to chapter "The .577 Nitro Express (& Other Double Rifles)." Enjoyed the read.

Motivated to read more about Hemingway after reading "The Short Happy Life ..." and watching "The Macomber Affair" after the notice of its airing being posted elsewhere on AR.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Greetings BLB.Concerning "Papa" Hemingway,you have a wonderful journey ahead of you.More grand reading than Carter has liver pills (he took those too).When you read "Islands In The Stream" in the 1st section "Bimini" there is an entire beautiful paragraph denoted to describe a rifle....the same one that killed Macomber.BTW A Mannlicher Shounauer model 1903 in 6.5x54. I degress. I envy you the priveledge of reading Hemingway for the 1st time.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Beau-

I have Hemingway's True at First Light and The Snows of Kilimanjaro which I will loan you. Both take place in africa.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. I think I know where to find you.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Reviving this topic/book...

In this book and other research states Hemingway had 2-3 MS 1903 6.5s: 1930 from Griffin & Howe, one possibly en route to Africa in 1933, and one from a raffle in Sun Valley, ID in 1941. Can anyone provide additional info on these rifles ... vintage, defining characteristics? Many Thanks.

Beau

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Pauline had one for the 33 safaris (where the Macomber story originated), Mary had another for the 56 safaris. I have not seen pictures of Pauline's rifle but Mary's was a half stock with no noticeable embellishments such as DST or sight pkg. I have always felt that the full stocked M/S 1903 (w/ the 18" bbl. that they don't sell anymore) + the DST were part of what made it a classic rifle. I love mine.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote