THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    Easily the best new book out on Africa hunting

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easily the best new book out on Africa hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All,
I read a lot. Usually 1 or 2 books a week. I have over 300 titles on sheep hunting, ethics and Africa hunting. I know good writing when I read it.

The Wanderers - Tales of Wandering in the African Bush by Hoffman Theron van Zijl is absolutely one of the best written book on hunting I have read in a long time.

This is the story of hunt in Mozambique by the author and his lifelong hunting companion. They hunt very minimally and usually without a PH. The author was raised in rural Africa and lives in RSA now. The story is told of the adventure of just wandering a new to them area of Mozambique. Zijl is a story crafter, not a story teller. His descriptions of events, people and what he sees are right to the very heart. His thoughts on why he hunts are the best articulated thoughts I have read.

If enjoyed Selous' best book, or a Ruark type story in terms of description - you will love this book.

It is fairly new and available at Safari Press in limited edition. I am shocked it has not received the attention something of this quality usually draws.

Of the 300 books or so I have read, I only have about 8 that I rate a 10 out of 10. This one of them.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I read this book a year or so ago and found it utterly unremarkable. I guess I need to pick it up and give it a second chance since Ross and I generally have similar tastes in books.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
It's not a bad read but unremarkable describes my experience as well.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My focus was on the way he wrote not so much on the story. I did find the story very interesting in the way these guys chose to hunt.

What impressed me was his method of describing what he saw, felt and did. He described his tracker in a unique manner as well.

Anyway, it was impressive to me.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote