New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hemmingway and Bimini
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I enjoyed Islands in the Stream. I had to know more. Today I picked up a new book, Hemingway and Bimini, The Birth of Sport Fishing at the End of the World.

The book is 233 pages before acknowledgements.

The thesis is how Hemingway fishing in Beminni became the spring board for the creation of the IGFA.

Hemmingway brought in the first unscarred Bluefin by an angler.

Posts: 10791 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
There are many treatises out about his sub-hunting activities pro + con. Too many to list. I know you like Papa so if you are not just tied to the Carrabinen days you might want to check out "Under Kilimajero" a rather unabridged version of "True at 1st Light."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Day NormanConquest I have read Under Kimajero. I have a copy. I picked it up years ago in South Carolina bookstore.

I also have a First Edition, rather rough shape which is how I could afford it, of For Whom the Bell Tolls. The Chapter on the Marxist taking over the town should be mandatory reading.

I enjoy Hemmingway on Hunting. I have most of the books the material is pulled from, but it has "Three Day Blow" my favorite; "Short and Happy Life of Francis McComber, and "Snows of Kilimanjaro" all in the same book.

It is time to break out some good whiskey, build a fire, and read "Three Day Blow."

Posts: 10791 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Good Day NormanConquest I have read Under Kimajero. I have a copy. I picked it up years ago in South Carolina bookstore.

I also have a First Edition, rather rough shape which is how I could afford it, of For Whom the Bell Tolls. The Chapter on the Marxist taking over the town should be mandatory reading.

I enjoy Hemmingway on Hunting. I have most of the books the material is pulled from, but it has "Three Day Blow" my favorite; "Short and Happy Life of Francis McComber, and "Snows of Kilimanjaro" all in the same book.

It is time to break out some good whiskey, build a fire, and read "Three Day Blow."

I think you are talking about Chapter 10 in For Whom The Bell Tolls - the massacre at Ronda. That is one of the greatest chapters in literature. It is a symphony.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the idea of a toddy before a fireplace + reading "A 3 Day Blow"; also "Big 2 Hearted River". As to For Whom The Bells Toll; it couldn't get any better. Did you notice that the beginning + the end of the book are almost identical? Robert Jorden behind the 'machuina' in wait.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is Chapter 10. I did notice. I also love the description of the skinned out bear paws.

On the Short Story side I forgot another favorite, “A Clean, Well Lit Place.”

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I agree with the idea of a toddy before a fireplace + reading "A 3 Day Blow"; also "Big 2 Hearted River". As to For Whom The Bells Toll; it couldn't get any better. Did you notice that the beginning + the end of the book are almost identical? Robert Jorden behind the 'machuina' in wait.

Yeah man, laying on the pine needled floor of the forest...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, Papa at his finest. One could actually smell the forest floor + later the smoke from the machina from the top that was a suicide post against the Condor squadron. But then again we Texans + some historians still appreciate the old semblance of one against many. Be it the Alamo, greasy grass, or the ultimate, Thermopolye. It is human nature to respect heroes that stood + fell under unsermantible odds.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Speaking of greasy grass, my wife’s great, great, great uncle died with Custer there. W H Baker, he’s on the stone there

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's an interesting bit of family history; never let it die. My great grandfather saw Abraham Lincoln when he was a boy held upon his father's shoulders when Lincoln made a train stop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fire destroyed the Ernest Hemingway Museum and The Complete Angler Hotel on Bimini in 2006. Both were a treasure trove of Hemingway's time in Bimini and of other big game fishermen of that nostalgic time. Lost among much memorabilia were the black and white photos of Papa imbibing, fishing, imbibing and of impromptu dockside boxing matches with the locals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. It's always a shame to lose some history. I remember reading in Mary's reminiscences in her book "The Way It Was" or some such title. She claimed that Fidel didn't have as much stomach as Ernest. Make your own judgment. But as to truth + we all know tha truth was more important than anyone's opinion to him + me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best part of this book is that it has printed a lot of those pictures which have been destroyed.

The fight where Davis beats up the rich guy in Islands in the Stream is based on Hemingway really, mule whipping, some rich guy from New York whike Papa was in Bimini.

I wonder why later in life he circulated back to Cuba instead of Bimini?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder why later in life he circulated back to Cuba instead of Bimini?

Not really sure, but have heard stories that after Bimini became famous, all the notoriety and fishing pressure dramatically affected the big game fish migratory patterns and fish populations never to return to its former glory. Perhaps Cuba was still pristine and not over fished.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, he now owned " Finca Vigia" picked out by Martha Gellhorn (#3). Let us not forget the polysyllabic felines that were so dear to him + heart + his estate. His home is still a shrine in Cuba but the talk goes about of the eradication of his five-toed cat descendants.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Book implies that Martha G, did not like the Bimini crowded, and he had a soft falling out with one of his Bemini boys over bein* pressured to build a home next to the main wheel in Bimini.

The author also reports local observations that Hemmingway came back in 1957 in dispute of the official Hemmingway timeline.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure she didn't. We all love his writing + his persona of the Alpha male in every way , but in truth, I'll bet he was a S.O.B. to live with, + we know about all his cronies that he would bring home, drunk on their ass. I can't think of too many women that would put up with that for any period of time. Pray elaborate on your final statement on the 7 timelines; I'm not sure I know what you are referring to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The accepted Hemingway timeline has Hemingway never returning to Bimini after 1937.

There is no letter, press, boat log, wire, or any other document that places Hemingway on the island after 1937.

The author interviews numerous locals, mostly second hand, my father saw him stuff, and one primary witness to make the argument Hemingway came back to the island in 1957.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's truly amazing how one man can still hold such fascination even over that many years since his death. He was definitely a "Force In Nature".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Lerner is the gentleman, long deceased, that Hemmingway May have had a soft falling out with.

Mark Lerner sold Hemmingway below market value two tracts of land. He then became upset that Hemmingway had not built on the property. Hemmingway maintained he wished too, but offer to return the property.

The author assumes Hemmingway May have felt used Dr promotion.