Notify
Tools

Heat, Thirst And Ivory
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
 -

Hunting elephants and other adventures in Botswana, Zimbabwe and Angola

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
Found this old post!

The book is at last again available as a 2nd edition now. Greatest read a hunter can get....

Safari Press HT & I

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
It was the good fortune of my then-20-year-old granddaughter and I to be invited to share a pot of Fiona Capstick's famed oxtail soup with Fred Everett and Fiona's husband, Adelino Serras Pires, during a memorable evening in 2002 in South Africa.

After dinner, Fred gave my already multi-lingual granddaughter, who seriously studies languages wherever she goes, a lesson in several of the languages he spoke.

I found it interesting to know that he introduced himself as "the only bush pirate still alive and known to be living legally in Africa."

Below was taken from the notes in my granddaughter's journal:

M’badaquaugo, Baraquengo District (a Bushman tribe):
Clik clak clu, clik clak cluclu bil ane clu an u chu
When the stars are bright, the rain is still afar.

Swahili
Mingu massari sana — It’s very nice.
Apana Masuri — That’s no good.
Sinwari — Friend.

Shona
Mas were’re — How are you?
Das we’ra — I am good.
Was werou — How are you? (back to them)
Tishwera szwedu — We’re all well.

Tsawasechuiin
Do mela — Hello.
Ee do mela — Hello.
Wehu chwile – How are you?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
The ability of so many in South Africa to speak various languages always amazes me. I am having the devil of a time with Spanish, and my use of the Queen's English is far from perfect.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Bill.

Blame our flawed American educational system that teaches languages way too late and too little. "Foreign" languages aren't taught until high school, when it should begin in grade one and continue through grade twelve.

How many English-speaking-only children will graduate from an American high school with the ability to speak another language fluently? I suspect that if you rounded them all up from all across the country that they would fit nicely into just one ordinary school bus.

I "studied" Spanish in high school, took two classes in college, and have lived and played on both sides of our border with Mexico for nearly 75 years and still speak only what my granddaughter calls "Spanglish" -- and not very well at that.

On the other hand, the kids from Mexico and elsewhere who attend our kindergarten to grammar schools are speaking English in just six months or so with total immersion and special classes. Those who start in high school do not do well.

It's not just South Africa that has a large number of multilingual people. Look at other African countries, Europe, South America, and Asia. I was surprised when I was in China and Mongolia in the early 1990s and found that many people I encountered either spoke English or were seriously trying to learn it.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Bill.

Blame our flawed American educational system that teaches languages way too late and too little. "Foreign" languages aren't taught until high school, when it should begin in grade one and continue through grade twelve.

How many English-speaking-only children will graduate from an American high school with the ability to speak another language fluently? I suspect that if you rounded them all up from all across the country that they would fit nicely into just one ordinary school bus.

I "studied" Spanish in high school, took two classes in college, and have lived and played on both sides of our border with Mexico for nearly 75 years and still speak only what my granddaughter calls "Spanglish" -- and not very well at that.

On the other hand, the kids from Mexico and elsewhere who attend our kindergarten to grammar schools are speaking English in just six months or so with total immersion and special classes. Those who start in high school do not do well.

It's not just South Africa that has a large number of multilingual people. Look at other African countries, Europe, South America, and Asia. I was surprised when I was in China and Mongolia in the early 1990s and found that many people I encountered either spoke English or were seriously trying to learn it.

Bill Quimby

Amen..... Frowner

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stephen I just finished the book. It is very interesting and exceptionally well written. Thank you for bringing it up.

DRSS Member

Posts: 96 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote