THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's country is this? Mine! mine! mine!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted
I have often wondered where this saying came from, and discovered it today in T.V.Bulpin’s book, The Hunter is Death, the story of George Rushby on page 161.

“It’s just a lion, somewhere towards the Njombe district,” he said sleepily. “He’s quite harmless, I assure you.”

Old Lamek chuckled from his side of the fire.

“Do you know what the lion says?” he asked, ”Listen carefully, he says ‘Hi ni inchi ya nani? Yangu! yangu! yangu!’ Do you know what it means? It means ‘Whose country is this? Mine! mine! mine!’

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
George Adamson in his book Bwana Game translated the roar similarly:

“Who is lord of this land?! I am! I am! I am!”

I love this stuff...;-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not the roar, but the grunts that say that. I love lions. And they will shock roar, like a turkey will shock gobble, in response to a loud noise. Learned that checking zeros at first light of day one on a safari. Sounded very promising, but alas ... Was a great hunt. But no lion.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
HMMM, after seeing the heading I thought it might have been misplaced from the P.F. because regardless of leftist extremism, I still believe it to be true.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote