New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Books
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got npthe new Boddington, Buffalo II limited edition from my wife.

I also picked up a trade copy of Shots at Whitetail at a local gun show. It is revised with sections by Jack O’Conor.

Did anyone else get anything to read?

Posts: 10804 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Not from the wife or Santa ...but African notes and reminiscences by Selous and elephant hunting in east equatorial Africa by Neumann. Also the life and death of lord Errol by Errol trzebenski. Happy reading.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Josh, the gift + the curse is that at a certain age if you are a bibliophile, you have read them all. Mores the pity in a way, so I just read them again. Enjoy Ruark's "The Old Man + The Boy" over the holidays + the rest of your life because that writing is that precious. You can't even imagine until you're tucked in bed w/ a tumbler of good weller, etc. + a book that will change your world on literature ( + your previous thoughts on Ruark)[contant wise] Once again, I envy you your 1st taste in a real classic author.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wife got me the new Boddington, Buffalo II as well (not a limited edition though).

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have Boddington done before the weekend. Then on to the master stroke, The Old Man and the Boy”

Graciously, provided by Norman Conquest.

Thank you, Sir.

Posts: 10804 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’ve stood in the room that bob stayed in as a kid, looked out of the windows he would have as it rained, peered under the porch where the stuff was stored, seen a mockingbird in the magnolia, walked around the fig tree (until it was pulled), sat on the same bench the Old Man would have, and spent an awful lot of time in the town those memories came from. Good stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LHEYM, you WILL enjoy yourself, I guarantee!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
I got a few to read ... gifts from my daughters and wife... OK, and a few I bought myself. Wink

African Twilight - The Story of a Hunter by Robert F. Jones

Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa by John Kingsley-Heath

Spiral-Horn Dreams by Terry Wieland

African Bush Adventures by J.A. Hunter & Dan Mannix

Also two reference books - An Annotated Bibliography of African Big Game Hunting Books 1785-1999 and An Annotated Bibliography of Asian Big Game Hunting Books, 1780-1980

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many iterations of J A Hunters stories there are ? I have several books and there isnt much variation between them

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My sweet wife asked me what books I saw needed in the collection. 5 min after I added these to the collection TODAY.. dancing

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Jens!!! The cape to Cairo! Been on my list a long time. You have great taste in books my friend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isnt it grand to find a wife who understands the quality of YOUR values. X 2 Jens on the "Cape To Cairo".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I give you a third congratulations on From the Cape To Cairo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gents!...and with a Happy New Year also.

Its good to see books isn`t outdated and still a source for information and entertainment.

The books pictured are not the actual books. The books I bought was from a long time bookdealer in England who confirmed my books were of a collectable condition. Its a dealer I have bought books from before.

The book `From Cape to Cairo`(1900) has been on my list for several years but its no secret it comes with a high dollar price tag (in my "book").
As I collect archery books too I`ve always wanted just one book on crossbows and the author Ralph Payne Gallweys book from 1903 I guess was the book to go for.(not cheap either)

Good for you all too you have good wifes who understand in importance of a bookcollection. They are rare... jumping

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Both "Death in the Silent Places" (Capstick) here.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grogans house in

Kenya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y19My-D4KrE

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
I found Cape to Cairo a slog to read. Magnificent none the less. I got New England Grouse Shooting by Harnden... love it. Can’t wait to go Grouse shooting.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Neumanns book is sloggish. It’s a recollection so the timeline is a bit fractured and he does a lot of inserting things learned in the future in his contemporary telling - if that makes sense.

Also, there are no maps, which is an unforgivable sin in my opinion. I had to look at the fold-out map from Monty Browns book Where Giants Trod (which is a brilliant and interesting book)to see his travels. Still, some of the stuff is really good because it is so unique.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished Buffalo II.

All, Boddington’s books are fast reads. There is not one chapter over 10 pages save one. This time it really caught up to him or the editor failed him.

The uses of conjunctions in his attempt to be conversational is districting and some what confusing. There are a couple of velocity typos, by that I mean 235 is printed instead of 2350.

He also gets confused in a chapter about Dwarf Forest Buffalo and Savanah Buffalos that look or are found in Forest fringe.

Boddington clearly knows the difference. He explains the difference, just gets the scientific name out of line for a paragraph.

All in all, good book. However, the dit issues to me is bothersome. I wish he would be a little less conversational, and the editor would have been more on top of it. I also wish he would for go the need to explain or semi-apology for his game bag. If he want to hunt another lion, just do it. Trust me we are ok with it we bought the book. If someone is not that person can go straddle a billy goat.

Ruark starts tomorrow.

Elephant was pitch perfect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The priiize

THe Crossbook is massive. All books I must state is in collectable condition. All bought without seeing the images but from a reputable dealer. No disappointments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Jens. Congratulations.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I could manage an entire book by Terry Wieland.

It usually takes him to the 3rd or 4th page before he mentions the topic at hand.

Never met him in person. I get the feeling he is an scheizerkopf.

Wayne Van Zwoll also likes to write a lot of words before he gets to the story, but his articles are very well written.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe, like Dickens, they're paid by the word.