Find
Notify
Tools

The Guns of John Moses Browning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,

I just finished reading a very, very good book titled, “The Guns of John Moses Browning”, authored by Nathan Gorenstein. The book was published this year and is a must read for firearm enthusiast. It’s an excellent and enjoyable read. The author does an extremely good job portraying details of the life of John Browning and all the firearms he gets credit for inventing including the problems he overcame during the designs. Without boring the reader with nitty-gritty details it touches on the majority of his 128 firearm patents used for plinking, hunting and the various designs used in all the wars and conflicts since WW1 and how the firearms are typically used. As you well know, many are currently in production around the world.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That sounds like good reading. The man was definitely a genius + we have all heard many stories of his accomplishments. I wonder if it is available on Amazon, where I buy a majority of my new books these days.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got on Amazon + bought a copy. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the turn-on.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got it today via Amazon/ Prime. Free shipping + fast service. Now if they, along with UPS + Fed-Ex can get it through their heads that part of the delivery "service" means bringing it to the house, not leaving the pkgs. down at the road for anyone to steal.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Seems that you have had that problem with deliveries for quite some time Randy. Sorry to hear that they won't get off their fat asses and deliver to the door. Have you posted a sign saying all deliveries at the door for signature? And, since I'm a John Moses Browning fan, I'll have to look that book up. I have another one on him written by Val Browning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vaughn, yes I have tryed that; especially when I had all those steaks stolen from the Omaha Steak Co. I called + DEMANDED that they add an adult signature required. nope, we don't do that. You are at the mercy of a driver who doesn't give a shit about you or his job. I'm in the same position again as I had to order grease filter frames from WW Grainger for a kitchen hood I'm building + they will only ship Fed-Ex. So its just cross your fingers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoping for the best for you Randy! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my box of filters; 30 yds from the gate + thrown into the trees. My grandson actually saw the box + retrieved it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You ought to put up some game cameras around the area, and when you have pics of these a--holes doing that shizz, turn them into their employer. See how many get canned over it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on that when these days,when piss poor service seems to be the norm rather than the exception. Oh, + BTW I just finished the Browning book. Wait for it in paperback. There was a good bit of info about his life but the author's writing style left a lot to be desired, IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had it in hardbound for a number of years. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So do I, now. Writing style notwithstanding there was a lot of history there. I don't regret the purchase.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to finishing this. I found it incredible, but I am a Browning fan.

I appreciated that it was not too technical, but explained in layman’s terms. For example, the ability for the 94 to handle more power rounds was to adapt a falling block type from the 1885. I pulled both out to compare and damn, I could see it.

The contributions he made were so amazing and still are today. The fact that he never wanted to really make weapons of war, but knew he could still says something about him.

A Garand book will be in the queue.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it is on Audible.

I now have something to listen to on my long commutes!

Thanks for the recommendation. Browning arms are my favorite.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just fisnished it. Very good and worth the read.

Its amazing the impact he had on firearms

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was a genius, no doubt. A total savant to his trade/ interest, for the benefit of everyone in the world; debatable perhaps by his detractors on the dead scale of the ledger. I'm still very impressed about his idea of a full auto started by watching the air passing the waves of grass from a lever action. It is a good knowledgable read, + we'll leave it at that.

One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
Just received my copy from Amazon. Thanks for the tips.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to reading this book after it sat on my bookshelf for too long. Agree with others that the writing style is not the best but the book is packed
with facts and details . He was a brilliant inventor , even to the point of being overly obsessed with constant new ideas. I really enjoyed the business prospective and his relationships with Winchester and FN, the author did a good job there in my opinion.

Did not know it was a family business with his brothers , those relationships are developed well by the author. Like Randy, interesting detail how watching the tall grass stalks bend over at the local range gave him the idea of harnessing the gas. Probably a good number of my shotgun friends do not know the Browning A-5 was the first ever semiauto .

If you enjoy firearms of any type I recommend this book .Buy an e-book version or used to save a few bucks. I will loan it to my son and then probably quickly read it again down the road.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a fine book + worth one's time in reading it.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote