Find
Notify
Tools

Carl Akeley by Penelope Bodry-Sanders
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted
Billinthewild brougth me this interesting book about Carl Akeley ,its worth reading .
Carl was a real character that explored and hunted africa in the good old days .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have not read that one but did read several on him back in the 60's. He was an interesting man + superb taxidermist. If memory serves his gorilla display on view in the natural history museum in new york is still the one on which all others are judged.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://us.macmillan.com/kingdomunderglass/jaykirk

Also, Kingdom Under Glass by Jay Kirk. The book was excellent.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9363 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know about these books. I have a set of prints from his work at the Field Museum in Chicago that I plan to have framed, but I want to do the whole set with matching frames and I have nowhere to hang them or any more trophies for that matter.

The bill would simply be too dear with one safari at the taxidermist and another in the works for next year.

Need to check out these books, however. Thanks.

Posts: 10006 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca,sounds like you need to add a wing to your house! Best,Randy.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest:

I'm about to retire. I'm debating with my wife where that will be. She's not keen on Arusha. But if we go back to South Texas, that's an option. She's not too agreeable to the Border.

I plan on interspersing them with the shoulder mounts. Wherever.

Posts: 10006 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lavaca,you do not want to be on the border,consider Austin. Deep in the heart.It is still grand in the south side of the river.North has gone......P.C. ,I can't say, but you understand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca,check out
Liberty Hill (that is where I live,out in the country),or Cedar Park or Leander. Life in the country but only 45 minutes from downtown. I've been here since the early 70's.Google them,other than high school taves (where are they not!) a great place to live.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman,

Thanks for the ideas. My wife might actually like that. A definite step up from Houston.

I really don't feel at home north of the border patrol check points.

I was born about a mile north of the Rio.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seriously,get your wife to google this area.It is a great place to live.Best wishes,Randy.