Find
Notify
Tools

H. Rider Haggerd
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
Although I read "King Solomon's Mines" as a kid I never read the others except "She". 15 years ago my ex who liked to go antique shopping took me + my wallet along. She found a bunch of glassware + furniture but I found a complete set of 1st edition Allan Quatermain novels. I asked the lady what would be the cost if I bought them all? She said $40.00. I asked if she would take cash! I just put them on the bookshelf but I am now reading the next in the series "Allan Quatermain" printed in 1887 + although aged, the book is like new in both pages + binding.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never read She.

I saw that British studio film version that made all the Peter Cushing and Richard Lee films.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought his complete works for my kindle for something ridiculous like $14.00....

I have read them all several times, he was a great writer!

His, the original version of Allen Quartermain was quite different from the movie version's, I like,Haggards much better!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was indeed a great writer. You're right about his being better; Hollywood has a bad reputation of taking a great novel + putting their touch on it that lessens it IMO. Another good case in point is "Something Of Value."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I have only read "King Solomon's Mines."
In a related genre, I have to recommend Talbot Mundy's "King, of the Khyber Rifles." Damn those old dead Brits wrote some ripping stuff! beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed Bill! I can also recommend "Lion Hunting in Somalia" by Capt. C.J. Melliss. Safari press had it + might still. And you already know of my ist. edition "Stray Sport" stamped by the British garrison on Malta in 1895. I truly love these older ones. As Delderfeld said, "God is an Englishman."

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, just ordered "Lion Hunting."
Another fascinating look at Victorian hunting and exploration in Africa is Sir Samuel Baker's "The Nile Tributaries of Abyssinia, and the Sword Hunters of the Hamran Arabs." That man sure got around. At one point on the Nile, his boat coasts up to a sandbar, when the sandbar suddenly submerges -- turning out to have been the back of a Nile croc of immense proportions.

Eeker beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, he did + so did Sir Richard Burton. Those fellows lived very interesting lives. I know you'll love "Lion Hunting." It was written when the Raj was at its peak in power. I liked it so much I bought a copy for an old friend + he couldn't get enough of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent another friend a copy of "Jungle Man" by P.J. Pretoriouis. I find it a very fulfilling experience to send books to friends rather than just endorse them. That way they also get read.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Here are ALL of his books online:

https://freeclassicebooks.com/...y_ryder_haqggard.htm

Like everyone else, I much prefer an actual book but E-books are handy to have on a laptop or (much less preferred by me) kindle.

Also you can go to librivox.org and download many audiobooks that are read by volunteers, some who are better than others but the price is right (free). My kids and I listened to King Solomons Mines this way while on a long road trip and they liked it as well.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote