THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    Wonder what is the age of average hunting book collector

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wonder what is the age of average hunting book collector
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I collected hunting and gun books from the age of ten .Kids now days don't read books just play with phones mostly .I really got into book collecting when I was 35 .I bet the average age of hunting and gun books is over 60 .I am 56 and few if any one I know under 60 collects books any more .One day kids will ask what books are for .I really went over board in my collection but really enjoyed it .I need to thin it out to about 50 books instead of 1000s!

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
I'd guess you're probably right. I'm 57, and have over 4500 books cataloged on LibraryThing.com. Seriously. Hunting, shooting, fly fishing, fly tying, history, fiction, theology, travel, Swedish... I know a few younger people that collect books, but not hunting books.

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm 64 + I live in a virtual library in my home. I read all the time, my kids don't.
I remember getting my grandaughter a copy of Winnie the Pooh for Christmas + I envisioned an n evening of her sitting o my lap while I read classics, but no. That was 30 years ago when she showed no interest. I have a new Grandson + I hope to get him into stories.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
You guys are probably right about the age of hunting book collectors. Interestingly two of my granddaughters (twins) aged 19 prefer to buy or borrow books instead of reading an electronic version, so there's hope yet.

It makes it easy when gifts are in order. Just get them bookstore gift cards and they are more than happy. Smiler

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, real books are a treasure. Kindles have no soul. My boys have figured out a great present for me (when it's not a gun) is a gift certificate to 1/2 price books.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Kindles are for filling in hours on an airplane . They carry words but lack soul , they lack the feel of a book , the tangible act of turning the page ...

Books are a whole nuther creature. But then I'm 60 and just plain old according to my 20 year old kid . But at least he reads , and will - maybe - get to inherit papas library as well as his gun collection.....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I started curating books at about 24 (although I always had books around) - I'm 47 now. I have about 2000 or so. Funny, the other day I told my wife I was going to cull them and get rid of some that I just don;t care about - mostly crap fiction - to make a bit more room for other books that are stacked on top of the shelves. I found 6... Guess it's time for another shelf...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started 25 years ago collecting books. Here at the agae of 50 I still collect. I often buy without reading them, but put them in my library for later reading. I like go into my own library to pick a book I've haven't read.
I must say when started a wasn't too fuzzy about condition and edition. Today I go for 1st ed, 1st print. Often I only go for London editions over US editions if the books are pre ww1 books about hunting in Africa and India. Copies that are ex libris, rebound or rebinded are de-selected.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There use to be a salvation army book sake here .I found my first Elmer Keith book there Shotguns I believe. I had read gunnotes growing up every month from him .I searched till I found all of his books. Then I found signed copies . Then came Robert Ruark who I an kin to got all his books from a book dealer who knee him .He sold me all the books that Robert Ruark had in a warehouse in Atlanta I had about 300 from that warehouse I have sold half of them .Then came Russell annabel. I just bought Alaska Tales the other day .I fished his old trails and cabins in Alaska and found guys that knew him .His books took me to Alaska .Robert Ruark got me into English setters and Elmer Keith got me into 338 rifles and I actually bought one of his guns a 333 okh belted mag 1917 endfield .Books have really shaped my life .I don't have kids so I gotta get rid of a bunch of them no room for this many any more !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be 67 next week and still have my first book, Dale Evans and Buttermilk. No telling how many I have on shelves. Neat thing is I help with Adult Literacy and we have a book fair once a year. Get to handle 50,000 books but very few are gun books but there is lots of good non-fiction. Some I buy and others just take home and read before boxing them up for the sale.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Our local, annual, used book sales syphon out the good books before the plebs are allowed in. They all get sold off to book dealers or auction houses , so I seldom bother going to book fairs - but your local small church book fair is always worth a browse.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I can’t say I’m a collector, much less a hunting book collector, but I have many books. I read them and then read them again, maybe. I started reading Louis L’Amour in middle school and read more of his books than my text books. I’ve read just about every Wilbur Smith and many WEB Griffin books. There are many non fiction and autobiographies, plus many more.

I’ve kept many, but I also love the Half Price Books store near me, but mostly for selling my old law school books. Those sales would provide more space on my book shelves.

As to the question, I’m 42. I do find myself picking up or buying a book, yet realizing I had already read it. However, I read it again.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I turn 31 on August the 29th. I bet a bottle was of 12 ur Weller I am significantly lower than the average

Posts: 10836 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, Amigo, I'm 64 so the bet is out the window but you caught my interest in the W.L. Weller comment. So just for the sake of argument + auld lang sign on my part, what do you want for it. Starting bid of partial price w/ a box set of 50th anniversary "Casablanca." Hey, we're only talking + we know that we appreciate the same flicks, + subject matter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting, guns, fishing books have little interest for me. I don’t think I have read anything beyond Horn of the Hunter. I own a few that I need to get rid off.

I have a fair bit of other books. 10-11 book shelves.

I got rid of 2-3 book shelves. All my old graduate school economics, finance, mathematics/statistics and law books. I could not donate them to the library they dont take text books. I tired sending them to Africa - too much red tape. I sold them and got $200. These were books I paid few thousand for when i had no money. 2-3 bookshelves of books all been replaced by unpdated editions costing $200 a book with zero new information. The text book fraud.

Big book collections look cool but few people reread their 1000-2000-3000 plus books.

When I had to clean books I said they need to go. I bought a porter cable air compressor and blew the books clean.

Tomorrow I take a bunch of books for donation to the library. My goal is to do that every 3 months. I ain’t going to reread Alexandra Fuller - her stuff goes. Anything I won’t read or have not read will go.

A lot of our book, gun, knife collections are
Just plain hoarding. I plan to start thinning guns soon. Same with ammo - shoot it.

I rather give my books to the local library - have them resell it for nothing and have some financially constrained or just value buyer own and read a book that would otherwise just lie on my shelf.

If I don’t use it - I don’t want to own it - my rule of thumb for the rest of my life.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NC: Give me a few days. I will think of something.

Mind you this is Buffalo Trace Weller. Not the true fruit of the vine you drank as the Weller distillery sold the brand to Buffalo Trace I think in 2007.

Posts: 10836 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Hunting, guns, fishing books have little interest for me. I don’t think I have read anything beyond Horn of the Hunter. I own a few that I need to get rid off.

I got rid of 2-3 book shelves. All my old graduate school economics, finance, mathematics/statistics and law books. I could not donate them to the library they dont take text books. I tired sending them to Africa - too much red tape. I sold them and got $200. These were books I paid few thousand for when i had no money. 2-3 bookshelves of books all been replaced by unpdated editions costing $200 a book with zero new information. The text book fraud.

Big book collections look cool but few people reread their 1000-2000-3000 plus books.

When I had to clean books I said they need to go. I bought a porter cable air compressor and blew the books clean.

Tomorrow I take a bunch of books for donation to the library. My goal is to do that every 3 months. I ain’t going to reread Alexandra Fuller - her stuff goes. Anything I won’t read or have not read will go.

Just plain hoarding. I plan to start thinning guns soon. Same with ammo - shoot it.

I rather give my books to the local library - have them resell it for nothing and have some financially constrained or just value buyer own and read a book that would otherwise just lie on my shelf.

If I don’t use it - I don’t want to own it - my rule of thumb for the rest of my life.

Mike

A lot of libraries will not take books that are of a certain age. Our local libraries are donating to us. We even donate to the State Hospital (medical, law and school books) they grind the books up and sell the remains.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

The text book industry is a scam. I often needed the sales money to buy beer, or buy gas to get home after many semesters. It really pissed me off when “new” editions kept coming out.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got pissed off about that issue myself a couple of years ago. I was in several books clubs + we bought our books from the store where we met. Over several years of buying new paperbacks to the tune of thousands of dollars. One day my son wanted to go to 1/2 price to shop so I told him to take these stacks of books to trade in to finance his shopping. These were new books, read-only once, new printing + he came back telling me that they offered him $40.00. Never again. I'll give them away (+do to the V.A.) before I will be that insulted again.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Not books, but DSC’s “Game Trails,” “Covey Rise” and “Sports Afield” keep piling up. I doubt that I’ll read them again without having created a TOC database to find certain articles of interest. I would list them here for just the cost of shipping, but then again, I don’t know the contents of all and shipping would be a pain.

I toss “American Rifleman” and the like, as half is just political stuff. The magazines I keep are too good to toss, as evidenced by the great articles and just the quality of printing. I may contact DSC to see if they know of youth organizations which might benefit and I can just deliver them to the HQ.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am 69 years old.

And have been reading ever since I was introduced to kids adventure magazines.

Those the ones that had cartoon characters.

Not sure how old I was then, probably around 10.

I have a big library of very old books, mostly on hunting and explorations.

Most of my reading nowadays are on my iPad on Kindle books.

I travel a lot, and find this the most convenient way to read, as I can read whatever I wish without the hassle carrying books.

I have given Kindle readers to friends, mostly living in Africa, on my account.

And collectively we have a library of several thousand books on Kindle.

They range from all sorts of interests.

I am currently having a break with my family in the Swiss Alps, and reading TRIAL BY ICE, Richard Pary.

A very interesting book about America sending explorers to find the North Pole.

The interesting part is while reading the book, I can look on Google Earth and see the places they are at on any given time.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I am 69 years old.

And have been reading ever since I was introduced to kids adventure magazines.

Those the ones that had cartoon characters.

Not sure how old I was then, probably around 10.

I have a big library of very old books, mostly on hunting and explorations.

Most of my reading nowadays are on my iPad on Kindle books.

I travel a lot, and find this the most convenient way to read, as I can read whatever I wish without the hassle carrying books.

I have given Kindle readers to friends, mostly living in Africa, on my account.

And collectively we have a library of several thousand books on Kindle.

They range from all sorts of interests.

I am currently having a break with my family in the Swiss Alps, and reading TRIAL BY ICE, Richard Pary.

A very interesting book about America sending explorers to find the North Pole.

The interesting part is while reading the book, I can look on Google Earth and see the places they are at on any given time.

Cheap or relatively free availability of information is great. In that sense thanks for footing the bill for ar.

I like the idea of sharing books on kindle or some other electronic structure.

I plan to give away 1/3 of my books in next 2 years.

Hope is someone can use em instead of them lining my bookcase.

Besides I use the book case to store ammo, scope and handguns.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
One interesting fact is reading some old books, written by two or more individuals describing the same event.

They give a totally different and sometimes conflicting story.

Franklin’s attempt at finding the North West Passage is an example.

So many books written about that failed trip.

Most seem to paint Franklin as hero.

One in particular shows him to be nothing short of being an idiot!!??

Not sure what to make of that, apart from making interesting readings.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I'm in my 83rd year of life, and have been collecting hunting and gun books since I was about six years old. Many have been re-gifted to friends and family over many of those years. I also have several books written by people I know personally, and a couple of vey fine books given to me by Saeed, and those are books that are going no place till I hit the happy hunting grounds. Two things that formed my hunting life were some people in my early life of around six years old along with many books and hunting since the age of six years when my dad bought me my first rifle, a Winchester mod 67 .22 single shot, and have been hunting and reading ever since!

………………………………………...Getting old but can still read, and shoot! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, if you can still read + shoot, then you are right where you need to be. I only want to live as long as I can read, shoot, + not be dependant on others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use to read a book a week . Now I harsly crack one open .I do want to read more of Elmer Keiths American rifleman early writings and the other Russell annabel books I have not read .I always loved going where the books are written about and retracing their steps .I got into first editions and signed books big time .I think that Elmer Keith shotguns book I got was the one that got it all started .I forgot Robert Ruark he made me buy birddogs Russell annabel made me go to Alaska and Elmer Keith made me get 338 rifles then hunt down one of Elmer 333 okh belted mag .Books can have a big influence in your life for sure .Kids are missing out not reading the old ones .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more!

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I think kids in general just dont read these days.

Mores the pity

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
A recent poll showed 25% haven’t even opened a book in over a year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And that is one of the leading causes for the intelligence decline of a country.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of months later but guess what? The truth + my opinion is still the same.