New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great find today....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was reviewing used books in a second hand store today. Found a good copy of “Africa Hunter” in the Capstick series. Excellent condition a priced right at $2.00. This copy will join my 13 other Capstick series books.
You have to search all avenues.

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, the price was certainly right! What a deal.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can sometimes find some great bargains in 2nd hand book stores. I used to go to these antique shops with my wife. She was interested in vintage furniture + china, etc. I was interested in books.I bought a full set of 1st edition H.Rider Haggard books (late 18s to early 20s) for $40.00. Also bought a 1943 copy of Mein Kampf in English for $5.00 (c'mon, home many copies were being printed in English in 1943?) I also bought a COMPLETE original 17 volume set of Richard Burton's translation of "The Arabian Nights" # XX of only 1000 printed. This set is in perfect condition since 1880, w/ the oilskins over the illustrations. I bought this set immediately (I'm not gonna say for how much) but I knew it was adeal + when I got home pulled it up online. There were NO complete sets available but incomplete broken up sets started at $1250.00. I have debated at putting the set up for sale for $3K. We'll see, they don't eat anything setting on the shelf.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’ve gotten a ridiculous amount of good books from half price books or thrift stores. Thrift stores don’t seem to worry too much about maximizing profit, just turning over sales. Got a first edition (there was only one anyway) of pettersons book on his trip with Denys finch Hatton for about 12 bucks. Love it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got some O.K. deals on current reading material from half price but no deals on anything vintage. That's where the thrift stores or antique dealers come in. A vast amount of them are really not aware of many books values. Besides, since I'm a book whore, I don't mind spending hours perusing everything there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman,

You know I've been drooling over that set of "Arabian Nights". Let me know if you ever want to part with it.

For those of you who like old books, if you ever travel through Milwaukee, there is a great bookstore in the airport. Can't remember the name of it, but I had a case in Milwaukee a few years ago and bought a lot of books there. They used to hold the ones I couldn't fit in my carryon until my next trip.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know you have, my friend + I would love a P.M. discussion, (here cutting my own throat) weren't you just thinking of downsizing your possessions? I'm guilty as well. P.M. me a phone # if you like + we can talk. Best, Randy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman and Lavaca, I understand that we age in one direction and cannot revisit our youth. But, I have made an informed decision to keep all of my books up to and including my last day. I cannot even conceive of selling them during my tenure. Therefore, I have cataloged them, keep them in a safe dry storage and have detailed their distribution upon my passing. They are old friends that I covet. Some may not agree but that is fine. I have been vicariously been able to hunt exotic places through the words of many adventure seeking hunters. I am so proud of my library. Each must make their own decisions and act accordingly. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How well I can relate. I have more books that Carter has pills; quite a few autographed 1st editions. My kids don't care about books, they would give away a fortune, no matter what I tell them now. So, yes, I'm still keeping most of mine for now, but when I mentioned the acquisition of this original set years ago, Lavaca was quite taken, as was I when I found it. But I can't reread them all (although I make a good attempt). I know what you mean about them being old friends. These new kindles have no soul, but books do. Any real bibliophile knows exactly what I mean.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sometime in the mid 80’s, I was walking in London, England, close to Piccadilly Circus.

I saw a sign pointing underground to a bookstore selling second hand books.

I went down to have a look.

It was not very well organized, but luckily I hit a shelf full of old African travel and hunting books!

Some were really old.

I bought the lot, and asked the gentleman at the shop if he could ship them for me.

Another surprise was his answer.

He would be happy to ship them free of charge!

I have seen some being sold on the Net for anything between 20-50 times the price I paid!!

I went back to that shop 2-3 years later, and there was a gay bar in its place!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66926 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Did ya go down and have a look?

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Did ya go down and have a look?

Bow chicka bow-wow...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a shame to lose a good book store to a bastion of brotherly shove.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I apologize profusely. My wife is a singer + in theatre + a VAST amount of our friends are gay + jewish as well. Comes with the territory in show business. Honestly, most of the gay dudes I have met were O.K. Just regular guys, not swishes, you would never know.; so leave them alone. It's along the old adage of judging only of what you know, not assume what you think you know.