New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bror Blixens `African Hunter`(1937)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Even though I live close to Copenhagen I rarely go there..but here last saturday I did go to visit some books shops(like I used to before the internet).
I was lucky to find a nice 1st London Edition from Blixens Àfrican Hunter`..

The last image is with Eva Dickson whom he married. Unfortunately she passes away on a journey in the Iraq in 1938. Blix returns to Sweden that year to never again return to Africa.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to read that book!

Posts: 10690 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
Nice find! I read his African Letters book earlier this year and have started reading African Hunter. (the Peter Capstick library version) I would have thought you'd be more likely to find the original 1936 Swedish version (Nyama) than the 1st English edition, but you never know what you'll find in a bookstore.

Posts: 673 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Awesome. And great to see a pic of Charles Heyers place. They handled so many Safari rifles it’s crazy. Neat stuff.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
LHeym, It is a great book as well as all the others associated with it by Beryl Markham, Denis Fynch-Hatton, + too many others to write the names of, although Papa puts in his presence there as well. A lot of good reading there. Karin even said, years after their divorce that she would still go on a safari with Bror, it was that much of an experience.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
I gotta get this one.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That rifle with the dead lion sure looks like a Mannlicher-Shoenauer 1903 in 6.5X 56; m favorite calibre.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, 6.5X 54. These bifocals suck.