Find
Notify
Tools

Candice Millard's "Destiny of a Nation"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
After someone mentioned "River of Doubt," I just finished Candice Millard's "Destiny of the Republic," about James Garfield's assassination. He would have been one of our greatest presidents had he lived, and I never knew beans about him -- and in fact the book often moved me to tears. He was a big, strapping six-footer with a booming laugh, a kind word for everyone, including his enemies, and a virtual genius.
One among a hundred fascinating items in this book is the presence of Robert Todd Lincoln, Garfield's secretary of war. Turns out that not only was he present at his father's murder, and Garfield's but was also with McKinley when he was shot -- the only man to have witnessed the assassination of three presidents.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
Bill. I agree that was a great book, I really enjoyed it as well. James Garfield was indeed an impressive man and Charles Guitreau was a nutty misfit loser. I learned a lot from this book. I thought it was interesting that back in the day you could apparently just walk right in to the White House off the street, and even see the president. He kept office hours, you could sit in the outer office and wait your turn, then get a few minutes with the president to bring up whatever you wanted to talk about. The descriptions of his sufferings were indeed very moving. Great book.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Here in the "For what its worth dept.". When I was a young boy I went with my mother to see an old woman die (my great grandmother).Today I suppose that they would not subject a young innocent to that sight.Now I remember the experience + her words + voice but I could not relate the poem. In her dilerium she recited a poem that she had learned in gramar school.It was a long epistle of a man talking to his sister + up until the end you did not realize that he was in prison for killing the president.Great Grandma passed soon after.Since all of the 1st hand accounts are quite literally dead,I hold dearly to all that my forbears have told me;if we do not.there will be no real history.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fascinating memory Randy. My GGM died when I was six. She had first-hand memories of Comanche raids in Texas. We were told never to ask about them.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,the last comanche raid occured not 4 miles from where I live. This was in the community of Hopewell in 1864.Good thinking on the indians part as all the fighting age men were off to the war.One woman was riding her horse + saw the smoke + rode to it.She saw the comanches prancing about the ruins,etc. She then saw a little white girl hiding in the bushes.She pulled her up onto her horse,then the indians saw them + took off in pursuit;although their horses were tired while hers was fresh.About this time a little black slave girl came out of the bushes as well. The woman knew that the horse could not carry all 3 + outdistance the comanches so she told her,"If you value your life,you had best keep up with this horse."As the story goes,no one has ever been able to keep up with a horse for that distance.This is from the book 'Land Of Good Water' a history of Williamson County by Claire Yarborough.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, my GGM was born in Santa Clara, CA, in 1859, and her father very promptly removed the family by wagon to Buffalo Gap, for reasons lost to family history. I wish I knew more about the Texas she experienced as a child.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't we all wish for more info on our ancestors lives? I remember some of the tales that my great uncle told of life in the trenches in WW1,I wish I knew more or he could have told me more.They are all dead now of course. My great grandfather saw Abraham Lincoln when he was a boy at the railway station on his father's shoulders.When you think of it in generations it was really not that long ago.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, one my GGM's sons died shortly after World War I from injuries to his lungs by being gassed by the Germans. He was my grandmother's favorite brother.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just finished reading Candice Millard's book "Hero Of The Empire". Churchill in the Boer war.Well written + hard to put down even when one is already familiar with the content. I recommend it.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Will look for it!

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,if you will return it after reading I will mail you my copy. It is a great read. Randy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, that sounded rather like R/E (chicken shit)!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It probably depends on one's definition of raid, but....

quote:
The Last Comanche Raid into Texas

On December 15, 1876, a band of Kwahadi Comanche, under the war chief, Black Horse, left the Fort Sill reservation to hunt buffalo on the staked plains. Black Horse's party soon began making war on any white hunters they found on the trail, stealing horses from Skelton Glenn and Pat Garrett, and killing and scalping Marshall Sewell. Garrett later earned notoriety as the killer of Billy the Kid. (Photo- Black Horse - Fort Marion, Florida)

White revenge followed quickly as a group of forty-six hunters operating out of Rath City, Texas tracked the Comanche raiding party to Yellow House Canyon. The ensuing battle, fueled by a barrel of whiskey, lasted all day before the hunters retreated to nearby Buffalo Spring. One hunter and thirty-five Comanche died during the fight. The battle and ensuing engagements were know as The Staked Plains War or The Buffalo Hunters' War.

In early May, the Tenth Cavalry buffalo soldiers, under Captain P.L. Lee overtook the Black Horse's band near Quemado Lake in Cochran County and returned them to the Fort Sill reservation thus ending the last Comanche raid into Texas.

Herman Lehmann, a notable white captive, who later authored a book about his captivity, Nine Years Among the Indians, was wounded during the battle.

The Comanche leader, Black Horse, died at Cache, Oklahoma around 1900.

BTW I got this from Mike Kearby's blog, which has some interesting reading on Texas....

http://mikekearbystexas.blogsp...-06:00&max-results=3

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gato, that's a neat blog. Thanks.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed Gato. Have you read "The Land Of Good Water" by Clara Yarbrough? I think you can still get at the Williamson Co. newspaper office that was once upon a time owned by her husband.Everyone is dead now.A great treatise on central Texas history. If you are interested,the next time I am in Georgetown I can stop by + see if they are still carrying Clara's book. Be glad to do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An excellent book of this era in Texas is "The Boy Captives" by Clinton L. Smith. It's a true story first published in 1927.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote