THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    Book: 4 1/2 stars: "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa" by E. B. Sledge

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book: 4 1/2 stars: "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa" by E. B. Sledge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This book was named the Best War Story ever Told by Men's Journal Magazine.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because, like war, the battle descriptions are so unrelenting in the horrorible details. If you've got much of an imagination, you'd better have a strong stomach when you're reading this one. For instance, digging a fox hole THROUGH a rotting Japanese corpse, which, along with excrement, and Marine corpses were everywhere. The Marines stripping gold teeth from Japanese corpses, at least one of whom was not a corpse, but alive.

It is the story of a Marine enlistee in WWII from boot camp to the worst two battles of the Pacific, Peleliu and Okinawa.

It is a true and more modern version of "The Red Badge of Courage". Well written and unbelievably detailed.

The author wrote this book many years later for his family to understand his war experience from daily notes he kept hidden in his Bible and his wife urged him to get it published. The mere fact that the author went through what he did without getting wounded is absolutely amazing.

A great read with the most realistic view of the horror and heroism of war I've read.

"During the course of the long fighting on Okinawa, unlike at Peleliu, we got numerous replacement lieutenants. They were wounded or killed with such regularity that we rarely knew anything about them other than a code name and saw them on their feet only once or twice."

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
An excellent book, it with, if memory serves, five others were the background to the TV series " The Pacific." Very few punches pulled, told like it is. Every bleeding heart who squawks about the A-Bombs being dropped on Japan should be compelled to read it.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the book (yet), but just recently saw "The Pacific" for the first time via Amazon Prime. It was an amazing story that in my opinion should be required for all American students, especially in today's social climate.

I'll be picking this one up....

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote