Find
Notify
Tools

African Twilight, Robert F. Jones
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted
I don’t know if anyone else has read this – a search in this sub-forum turned up a last mention of this book in 2004.
African Twilight – The Story of a Hunter by Robert F. Jones (1994).

I just finished reading this book and enjoyed it. Robert F. Jones (1934-2002), was a journalist / sportswriter, novelist, and columnist for Shooting Sportsman. African Twilight is a collection of short stories based on multiple safaris in East Africa between 1964 and 1990. Only some of the safaris involved hunting. His first safari was shortly after Kenyan independence. The last one, circa 1990, was to investigate how things had deteriorated after Kenya’s hunting ban. Hence the title – African Twilight.

His PH was Bill Winter, whose hunting career ended when, after being charged by a buffalo and finding the dead buffalo on top of him, pleaded with the client not to shoot. Despite his pleas, the client shot and the bullet went through the buffalo and shattered the PH’s ankle. This story appears in the book, but also in Brian Herne’s White Hunters.

I found it an enjoyable read.

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have Brian Hearne's book. Thanks for sharing the info, sounds like a good read.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob Jones was a good friend of mine in the mid-'90 up until his death. If you like adventure fiction, his novels: Blood Sport, Diamond Bogo, Tie My Bone to Her Back, etc all each is a good read. I first read Blood Sport in the 1970s, given to me by a another friend who just said, "You'll Love it."

When Bob joined the staff at Shooting Sportsman, a magazine I had been writing for for years, I had to make his acquaintance. I developed SSMs Readers & Writers Wingshoots so I could get to go hunting with Bob Jones and Micheal McIntosh. Hi Times they were~~~ Annie Proulx, the novelist put together a collection of stories by, and about Bob Jones titled, A Roaring In The Blood: Remembering Robert F. Jones. Look it up... Bob Was hellofa guy!

Thanks for the good memory in tough times, Hanny!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote