Find
Notify
Tools

Churchill Walking With Destiny
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Written by Andrew Roberts. A very long, albeit extremely thorough and readable biography of one of the greatest and most brilliant men of the last century. A pity that we do not have orators and statesmen like Churchill today. While he definitely had his foibles, if you want to understand what it takes to be a real leader, give Roberts book a read. Highly recommended.

Mike

Posts: 21185 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’ll second this. I’m about halfway through the audiobook (which has an excellent reader). A very well told story about a giant of a man in all respects.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check that one out. I have always had great respect for the man + have many volumes on biography + autobiography, + just general writings. I also enjoy my book of his comments + quotations, that makes for great reading. The man was a very quick wit. NEVER fence with a clever wordsmith! A case in point. When George Bernard Shaw sent him a message, "Come to my new play's opening night tomorrow night. There will be 2 tickets waiting for you at the box office. Bring a friend, if you have one." To which Churchill replied, "Sorry, I can't make opening night, but I can come the 2nd night, if there is one."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the book yesterday.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Money well spent!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
Recently finished The Splendid and the Vile by Eric Larsen , excellent book on Churchill's first year as Prime Minister during WWII.
Highly recommend this book, Larsen used diaries that others have not previously referenced. The diary of John Colville had not been quoted before.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good book as well. I finished mine + sent it to a friend who is another Churchill afficianato.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both books are very readable and informative. Churchill was the right man at the right time, much like George Washington.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in total agreement about "the right man at the right time". Would that we could find one now for our nations sake.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I ordered it based upon this post and various shows. It arrived last week. The book is a beast and I had flashbacks to casebooks in law school, but I plan to read it. I may take it to Argentina to read while I’m there for six weeks, but it may put me over the luggage weight limit!

All kidding aside, I’m looking forward to reading this book. During my only trip to the UK (2002), his war rooms and some of the fine gun rooms were at the top of my list.

Unfortunately, the war rooms exhibit was closed for renovation. The H&H guys treated me like a peasant, but I wasn’t far from such according to their standards.

However, I did enjoy the usual London historical attractions. We just can’t come close to that kind of history here.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I ordered it based upon this post and various shows. It arrived last week. The book is a beast and I had flashbacks to casebooks in law school, but I plan to read it. I may take it to Argentina to read while I’m there for six weeks, but it may put me over the luggage weight limit!

All kidding aside, I’m looking forward to reading this book. During my only trip to the UK (2002), his war rooms and some of the fine gun rooms were at the top of my list.

Unfortunately, the war rooms exhibit was closed for renovation. The H&H guys treated me like a peasant, but I wasn’t far from such according to their standards.

However, I did enjoy the usual London historical attractions. We just can’t come close to that kind of history here.

We were in London for five days in June. The Churchill War Rooms were amazing to see , the exhibit is well done.And yes they have some great history to see. We did the Wednesday evening prayer service at Westmimister Abby , highlight of the trip.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote