New
Find
Notify
Tools

“The Last Book” by Jack O’Conner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just completed reading “The Last Book” Confessions of a Gun Editor by Jack O’Conner circa 1984 by Amwell press with introduction and comments by Jim Rikoff and son Brad O’Conner.
IMHO a fitting fine and fair well by a very interesting writer of many hunts and insights. Many believe he was much at odds with Elmer Keith. Albeit very difficult to glean giving that his praise for Elmer was glowing and indeed respectful. Their collective opinions of large a medium size bores not with standing.
There is a chapter, near the end, where Jack had given some time to write another novel. He asked Jim Rikoff to read the first few pages but Rikoff thought the era would not glean much reader enthusiasm. Hence, Jack did not complete this novel. It did offer much insight into his post U.S. Navy short career.
For us Jack O’Conner raiders I whole heartedly encourage finding a copy of this book. I certainly enjoyed his last thoughts and reminisces. Perhaps due to the fact that I am shortly to reach the age he passed.
My library is full of many books regarding tales of hunts in exotic lands, mountains and culture. I have not been fortunate enough to enjoy many of these hunts. Some yes. Many no! But, I have vicariously enjoyed such through Jacks’ stories. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTGunner:
Just completed reading “The Last Book” Confessions of a Gun Editor by Jack O’Conner circa 1984 by Amwell press with introduction and comments by Jim Rikoff and son Brad O’Conner.
IMHO a fitting fine and fair well by a very interesting writer of many hunts and insights. Many believe he was much at odds with Elmer Keith. Albeit very difficult to glean giving that his praise for Elmer was glowing and indeed respectful. Their collective opinions of large a medium size bores not with standing.
There is a chapter, near the end, where Jack had given some time to write another novel. He asked Jim Rikoff to read the first few pages but Rikoff thought the era would not glean much reader enthusiasm. Hence, Jack did not complete this novel. It did offer much insight into his post U.S. Navy short career.
For us Jack O’Conner readers I whole heartedly encourage finding a copy of this book. I certainly enjoyed his last thoughts and reminisces. Perhaps due to the fact that I am shortly to reach the age he passed.
My library is full of many books regarding tales of hunts in exotic lands, mountains and culture. I have not been fortunate enough to enjoy many of these hunts. Some yes. Many no! But, I have vicariously enjoyed such through Jacks’ stories. MTG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make that Jack O’Conner readers in lieu of raiders. My bad. Ten thumbs and little dexterity. MTG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up on Jack o’Conner. His books kept me fascinated with rifles, hunting and foreign adventures. I know he was an advocate of the 270 Winchester, but his chapters on the 7x57 Mauser lite a fire in my quest for a custom rifle in that caliber.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote