Find
Notify
Tools

JA Hunter, HUNTER
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just finished this book.

I was a little slow getting into it, but after 2 chapters, I was in.

A few observations: I have seen others write that Hunter wrote about his contemporaries as much as himself. We know he was Finch Hatton’s mentor. Hunter retrieved Finch Hatton’s body from the plane, and brought his body back to Blixen.

I saw no passages that struck me as referencing Finch Hatton’s except the Prince of Wales elephant hunt Hunter was called to lead, but had to decline because he was in the field with an American client. If you did not know that Finch Hatton’s and Blixen filled the gap from other writers you would not know who he was replaced with.

In the Most Dangerous Game chapter, discussing elephant he tells of being invited on an ivory hunt with an older gentleman who had killed “hundreds more elephant” than Hunter. Hunter responded that he did all his hunting in the old days against uneducated elephant in the on open ground. That someone would get killed hunting elephant with a small bore now. Hunter concluded the venture returned with no ivory and a lot of almost deaths. I wonder if this old, small bore man is WMD Bell. I have not found a matching writing in Bell’s books.

Hunter was a true big bore man considering the 416 Rigby to be a small bore on Buffalo, and unsuitable for Dangerous Game. He cites a prima facia evidence a trigger happy bastard who guts shoots a Buffalo on the run.

You do not want to be a dog owned by Hunter. The best ones always die, but do die fighting.

Hunter had a negative impress of photo safaris, and how they conditioned lion to humans, and the picture takers being non hunters. However, always wanting that action charge shot which required game to be killed.

I felt sad as he described his return to Scotland only to find it small. I have not lived his life as a Hunter, but just going back home the hills, meadows, and hollers I use to chase squirrels and ground hogs hives the same feeling. I think most of us have crossed the property line hunting small game only to be chased by the neighbors bull.

Read it.

Posts: 10789 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
That book was the first African hunting story I read as a kid. Still a great book. tu2

Like anyone he has his preferences in what makes a suitable rifle. The next book by another guy with comparable experience will make other choices. I guess the bottom line is they both worked. After all they lived long enough to write about it. Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2790 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good book. Hate that he killed so many rhino. Poor rhino. Very difficult for them to coexist with the ever-expansive human species. He was fond of a .500 if I recall. A .416 works just fine for everything, in my much less experience.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first read african hunting book.

It started in 1995 I got the book from a friend whos father hunted with Blixen and whos mother and grandmother socialized with Blixens in Sweden. It was through this frienship I was introduced to a world that still facinates me.

John Hunter never mention Karen with a single word i his books. I actually think he disliked her like so many in the colony. Karen was known to be a snop.

In the movie "out of Africa" when Karen finally leaves Kenya she uses a transport company named " Hunter & Co". JA Hunter had a transport company at one time as his mentions.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is a snop? Did you mean snob?

Posts: 10789 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
She may well have been. Surely she was dissatisfied with her barrenness due to Brors indiscretions. She did find some solace in the attentions of Finch-Hatton but that was short-lived, as was he.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I hate to say I’ve never read it, but decided to buy a copy. My first look showed one over $900. Nope, but I did find one hardcover at $9.25.

It’s on the way. I should be finished with the newest Wilbur before it arrives.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Safari Press used to have several of his but I'll bet you could find some used on Amazon.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I well remember reading "Hunter" back when I was a kid. I have in front of me as I type this, "Hunter's Tracks" and "White Hunter", both also written by him.
Those were different days back before WWII.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Got a couple of hardcover copies of "Hunter", one I bought in a second hand book shop and a good second hand 1st edition given to me by a friend for my 60th.

Good reading, just like Bell's writing where I enjoy the narrative from both of how they got into shooting as youngsters with dreams of Africa slaying herds of elephants. Unlike Bell who assimilated back into England on retiring from African hunting, JA Hunter just couldn't live back 'home' after all had changed.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote