Find
Notify
Tools

Larry McMurtry
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
With his recent passing, were there many fans here? I went though “Lonesome Dove”
While I had mono in high school. I’ve read many more, but that book and movie were iconic.

No, I did not read or watch “Brokeback Mountain.”

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I have read Brokeback Mountain - its a vastly better story than that rubbish movie they made .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Larry McCurty only co-wrote the screenplay for Brokeback Mountain.

I know he won the Oscar that year for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Posts: 10789 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read Lonesome Dove and all his other books as a matter of fact, and no I did not read brokeback mountain, I don't dance to that tune, Im from a different generation and proud of it..

I also liked the movie series of each book..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have read all his books also + I still think my favorite was "Horseman Pass By" made into the movie 'Hud' starring Paul Newman. Mainly because it was Texas as I knew it being from Wichita Falls. And Ray I have to agree that although I hold no judgement for others actions, I personally have no interest in the 'gay cabarello'.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
IIRC Annie Proulx wrote BB Mountain , and it truly is a well written story - as are all of hers.

The gay part of it is remarkably minor in the story - but was the part seized on by the screen play - which I have not seen.

I do have to wonder how two hunky cowboys , surrounded by hundreds of sheep , could not find at least one pretty ewe amongst them all...

But anyway - dont discount the book just because it was ruined for a screen play.

I dont prefer blokes either , in case you were curious...

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
He led an interesting life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_McMurtry

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes he did. I posted somewhere on here about how I met him briefly at the Waterloo record store when his son James was doing an instore record release. When my friend Sharee from the book store recognized him we went on over to say Hi. Sharee said "Hello Larry" + he screamed + took off + locked himself in the store owners office. He was quite the introvert. He was also a close friend of Ken Kesey's in the early 60s + was supposedly part of Ken's character Mcmurphy in "One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest". And yes they did a lot of acid together.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He was a friend of Texas Ranger clayton McKenny and picked Clayton mind as to the Ranger Service. Clayton was a dear friend of mine, we grew up together, and he was very well respected in the ranger service, as well as a historian of the early ranger service, which I have studied my whole life as my grand father John larkin Hess was a ranger in the earl days and my mentor and hero..I have his guns and some awesome photographs..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He did write a lot of fine books, didn't he? Kinda like sying that F. Scott Fitzgerald toyed with writing about the neuvo riche.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry McMurtry was from Archer City, where The Last Picture Show was filmed. My wife was from Archer City, I moved there and lived there a number of years. Still have friends from there.

McMurtry gave the commencement speech when my daughter graduated from high school there. I remember being very concerned because McMurtry was an atheist or agnostic. Turned out being an excellent speech on succeeding in life.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm from Iowa Park outside of Whichita Falls. I find all his writing about north Texas exactly true along the Red River. When I read him I can still taste the dust + feel the heat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I'm from Iowa Park outside of Whichita Falls.

Nice community.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote