THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    A nice piece of Safari/Kenya/Selby ephemera...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A nice piece of Safari/Kenya/Selby ephemera...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
We don't have an "ephemera" topic, but since it's common to have 'Books & Ephemera" together, I thought you'd enjoy seeing a nice piece of safari-related history.

This is a grill badge from Ker, Downey & Selby Safaris out of Nairobi. I've only seen pictures of these, and those in poor shape. This one is brand new and has never been mounted. I don't know its exact age - I do know KD&S operated until 1978, well after Harry moved south to Botswana in 1962 (I have a KD&S coffee cup from Bots that uses a different logo). I can't find definitively when he became full partner with K&D. I've emailed Harry's daughter, but not heard back yet. I can't find the date in any of the earlier emails I have from Harry. When exactly, how many, or for how long they were made will likely remain a mystery.

In any case, here it is:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting BaxterB.

Pretty cool!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Dam neat!

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice little gem.

Thanks for sharing

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three Partners, Three Lions. I love it.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Indeed; thanks for sharing.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Was looking in my library, and found the CD Harry sent me his notes on.

Very interesting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66911 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Was looking in my library, and found the CD Harry sent me his notes on.

Very interesting.

Well come on, share and share alike!!

I’ve been chatting with Joe Coogan and he says KD&S started in 1962, after Harry closed Selby and Holmberg Safaris. Harry then expanded the KD&S business in Botswana until 1978 when he got together with Safari South, then things reverted back to just K&D. His guess was early 60s for the age of the badge. He has the badge like this that was on Harry’s vehicle.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would love to share it with you.

But, I know Harry has a daughter, and she might be interested in publishing it.

I have also heard of several sources that were intending to publish his works, so me jumping the gun and posting it here is not right.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66911 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I know... ;-)

I have small bits and pieces but not the whole thing. When I first got to know Harry, he was very interested in my research on Ruark. I became a sort of US proxy for him and helped him track down a lot of old pictures, including many he had not seen in decades of the trip he made to Lake Rudolph with Bob Maytag. Back then, internet in Botswana was very sketchy and was probably less reliable than a runner with a cleft stick. It was a great deal of fun hunting down those pictures.