THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    "Major Ned H. Roberts and the Schuetzen Rifle"

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Major Ned H. Roberts and the Schuetzen Rifle"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been reading this fairly rare little book from 1951, have seen "Schuetzen" rifles here and there but never knew much about them. Turns out 200 yard matches were all the rage in the late 1800s, which is what those rifles were built for. Started out as black powder rifles, as soon as smokeless came out shooters figured out that "duplex" loads with 5 or so grains of smokeless made cleaning easier.

Biggest revelation to me, which I had never heard of, was that for maximum accuracy top shooters loaded their cartridges with a wad over the powder and seated the bullet in the barrel 1/16th of an inch in front of the case, using either a special starter or a dummy case made just for seating the bullet.

New to me.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9406 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a good read. There used to be a custom boot maker in Lampassass not far from here that was a friend to a saddle maker buddy of mine who told me that when he (the bootmaker) was in war 2 he "liberated" enough shuetzen rifles w/ their dies to line his basement walls. When he was dying in the hospital his son who was on drugs came in cleaned him out. Nothing was ever recovered.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The really persnickity shooters would only use ONE case, decapping and reloading it for each shot. There were special cases made specifically for this use called "Everlast".

MOA groups at 200 yards with peep sights weren't rare.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9406 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote