New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crow Killer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just finished Crow Killer, Liver Eatin’ Johnston, by Nathan E. Bender. Great read about the mountain men in the middle 1800’s. John Johnston was a far distant man than was depicted by a Hollywood. But, a man of principle when it came to his trapping partners.

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, I read it too. Good read! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it's true, but I heard he fought in the Civil War in the West and was a bit of a disciplinary problem because he continued to scalp and eat livers. Don't know if it's true. If it was, that would be rather detrimental to the opposition's morale.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, I can only assume that he was called 'liver eating Johnson' for a reason. Mans fear of being eaten is a great psychological weapon (R/E Jaws)

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Norman. We're all going to be eaten by something, so personally, I don't understand it, but most people have an aversion to being eaten. I view it as inevitable.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Don't know if it's true, but I heard he fought in the Civil War in the West and was a bit of a disciplinary problem because he continued to scalp and eat livers. Don't know if it's true. If it was, that would be rather detrimental to the opposition's morale.

It's highly likely he removed the livers from Crow warriors to "mark" the kill, because he wanted to make damned sure they knew which ones were his. As I recall, there was only a single time he was actually witnessed to have taken a single bite from one, basically on a dare, but he was known to use Crow liver as trap bait.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9535 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote