Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a book..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I have been enjoying my books and am looking to order another one through Amazon. Can you recommend a good rifle or hunting book? Perhaps even American Indian history or Wilderness (alaska...mountain trapper etc) type.

tu2

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Alaska Yukon Trophies Won And Lost,, Alaska's Wolf Man,Hell I Was There,,etc

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
Alaska Yukon Trophies Won And Lost,, Alaska's Wolf Man,Hell I Was There,,etc

Give this a read.

https://www.amazon.com/Sibanda...&keywords=tim+farren

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It is hard to beat Jim Corbett.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GRAND book;everyone will love it.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Tough Trip Through Paradise by Andrew Garcia

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let us not forget "Jungle Man" by PJ. Pretorious. A MUST read.If you have read or seen the movie "Shout At The Devil" by Wilbur Smith you will recognize the plagerized plot (though Smith rejects that).It is a great read + true about an Africcaner working behind the lines of the Germans in WW1. Amazon has them.You will be glad for this book.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might like Russell Annabell's books.Pull them up on Safari Press.Alaska hunting + some in Mexico as well. FWIW,Hemingway loved his writing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, where can I find a copy of the Pretorius book? I have been looking for along time but no luck. Thanks,Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,
Not Randy, but Amazon would be your best bet. Not sure if you are looking for a certain edition though?

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. I have wanted to read anything that PJ wrote. Also does anyone have some info about books by Iodine Ionedes? He is another on my bucket list. Since I have retired for the third time,I may have the time to do some overdue reading. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reviewed below, but "Empire of the Summer Moon" is a fantastic read, combining the history of the Comanches with the early development of Texas. Highly recommended.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I just grabbed a copy of "Jungle Man" off Amazon. Thanks for the tip, Randy.
That said, a search for the title brought up a series of biographies of interesting folks in Africa, one of which was Peter Capstick's bio of Meinertzhagen, "Warrior." This was the worst-written non-fiction title I ever had the misfortune to buy, so I would advise even my enemies to avoid it. If you don't believe me, go read a few pages in your local library. You will thank me -- maybe even want to buy me a Lone Star.

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I just grabbed a copy of "Jungle Man" off Amazon. Thanks for the tip, Randy.
That said, a search for the title brought up a series of biographies of interesting folks in Africa, one of which was Peter Capstick's bio of Meinertzhagen, "Warrior." This was the worst-written non-fiction title I ever had the misfortune to buy, so I would advise even my enemies to avoid it. If you don't believe me, go read a few pages in your local library. You will thank me -- maybe even want to buy me a Lone Star.

hilbily

I'd rather buy the book.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Reviewed below, but "Empire of the Summer Moon" is a fantastic read, combining the history of the Comanches with the early development of Texas. Highly recommended.

Gwynne’s book Rebel Yell about Stonewall Jackson is also an excellent book.

Mike

Posts: 21207 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh,the book is GREAT.Read Wilbur Smith's "Shout at the evul" 1st,then tell m there is no plagerism. Mox
nix;read them yourself + draw your own conclusition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry,internet is on the fritz. The title is "Shout At The Devil".By Wilbur Smith

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Lee: The last years by Charles Flood is a fantastic book that investigates Lee after Appomattox. So much of his last years are encapsulated by, “...then he went to Washington College ... his last words were “strike the tent,” and it’s a pity more people don’tsee the fine details of a very complicated life. Duane Weibe gave this to me when I walked out of his shop one day and I read it by the end of the same week. Highly recommended.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since we are now in the fall of the year + Safari Press promised us the "new" WDM Bell autobiography,unlike any other. I prepaid but have not received it yet. Looks like good reading if one is inclined to drop $140.00 for a book. Aw hell.I'm one of those.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, you have to be the most rabid bibliophile on AR.

Cool

Bax: I ordered Flood's biography of Lee. Thanks.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, I will hold that sobriquet with honour.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got the email today from Safari Press. Will be shipping + only 2 days to match your serial #s to your last editions. I did it but one must confess that it really does'nt mean shit.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Just got the email today from Safari Press. Will be shipping + only 2 days to match your serial #s to your last editions. I did it but one must confess that it really does'nt mean shit.

Interesting. I was told I couldn’t request a specific number (for a different book). Alas, my bibliophilic powers must be fading...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:

Interesting. I was told I couldn’t request a specific number (for a different book). Alas, my bibliophilic powers must be fading...

This is in regards to the WDM Bell book that came out last year - Incident's from an Elephant Hunter's Diary. They are offering the same number from that book (if ordered)

Got my email yesterday. Guess I'm a WDM book whore also. dancing

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Cool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baxter,I just got conformation from Safari Press via email that my serial #'s will be the same.I have deleted the message but if memory serves the woman in charge was named Carrie. Pull their website if you think its worth your while.Like I said,I don't think it really means shit but I was online so why not.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Have you read "Undaunted Courage"? It's a very good read.

https://www.amazon.com/Undaunt...erican/dp/0684826976

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good read. All of Stephen Ambrose's books have been the same. We have all read "Band Of Brothers",but his volume of knowledge on the AAC in WW2 in the book"Into the Blue" is another great read. I would LOVE to be able to afford his "cruises?'" From D day to the Rhine' Every night you sleep where they slept,every day you continue the trail of the allies from Normandy to Berlin + beyond to Berchestgarten + the Shloss Alder.on the heels of heroes,aye,thats the rub.

One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Have you read "Undaunted Courage"? It's a very good read.

https://www.amazon.com/Undaunt...erican/dp/0684826976

Just finished Undaunted Courage today . I really liked the book . Lewis has to rank with all the great explores . Sad ending to his short life , if he published his journals as Jefferson wanted in a timely manner I believe he would be more admired today as an explorer .
Highly recommend the book!

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a copy myself from Amazon,then got sucked into other books;I need to stay off there.Stephen Ambrose is a fine writer with a lot to say.